BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Touch up recommendations

02-09-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
steveyo412
Rep
Drives: 23' BMW 530e

Garage List
My previous vehicle had auto assist braking. My new 530e does not! I was parallel parking and watching my rims a little to closely and just bumped the car behind me!

The license plate screw got the best of my bumper.

I have a touch up paint pen from dealership. What’s the best steps to fix my f*** up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i M Sport

There are plenty of great videos on YouTube that will provide ideas. You are going to need to be comfortable with polish, compound and wet sanding. First to bring the creases down flat, and then again after filling with touch up. The idea is to improve as you won't make it perfect. Also on bumpers, the paint has a flex agent in it and if touching up a larger area, it could be prone to flaking off since touch up paint does not have that agent. From the picture, you may get away with only having to add paint to the bottom part of the "circle". If lucky and extremely careful, the top part may smooth out without the need for paint. Perhaps try a gradual approach starting with a good polish and then move to compound if needed and finally wet sand if the polish or compound does not smooth out that top part. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo412 View Post
My previous vehicle had auto assist braking. My new 530e does not! I was parallel parking and watching my ribs a little to closely and just bumped the car behind me!

The license plate screw got the best of my bumper.

I have a touch up paint pen from dealership. What’s the best steps to fix my f*** up
No way to tell from a photo unfortunately but the fact that a screw was involved instead of bumper to bumper (which would likely just be transfer) is a bit troubling.

I would start here and compare what Brian is repairing to your situation -
      02-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
steveyo412
Rep
Drives: 23' BMW 530e

Garage List
Thanks AnthonyVincent I’ll give those suggestions a go! And thanks for the follow up Bobh59
Appreciate 0