BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Got the Low coolant warning today

01-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Got the Low coolant warning today

We directly to the dealer and they topped off the coolant tank.

They said it took 4-6oz. I asked how many oz does it hold. No idea. I don’t see anything on the floor where I park at home or work.

I remember reading about a coolant leak from the reservoir but I cannot see anything leaking. Anyone have some specifics or pics to share on where to check.

I have a 2019 540 ix witn 24k.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Get a torch and if standing in front of the car , look down sort behind your right hand side behind headlight.
The reservoirs are there (there are 2) and look at the paintwork below. If you see any residue that may indicate a leak (a small one probably)

Search these threads as it seems to be a common issue down to a few underlying issues

You've topped up now but if it alerts again you should get the dealer to check , especially before your warranty runs out.

I don't believe that the fluid should deplete under normal circumstances so it suggests that there may be an issue.

In my case it was the reservoirs, very small leak but over time got to the point where it triggered the alert. Got replaced under warranty and all good now
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #3
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Thanks very much. I’ll get under there this Weekend.

I appreciate the direction.

Have a great and Safe day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Get a torch and if standing in front of the car , look down sort behind your right hand side behind headlight.
The reservoirs are there (there are 2) and look at the paintwork below. If you see any residue that may indicate a leak (a small one probably)

Search these threads as it seems to be a common issue down to a few underlying issues

You've topped up now but if it alerts again you should get the dealer to check , especially before your warranty runs out.

I don't believe that the fluid should deplete under normal circumstances so it suggests that there may be an issue.

In my case it was the reservoirs, very small leak but over time got to the point where it triggered the alert. Got replaced under warranty and all good now
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Me too

I just picked up my CPO M550 about 3 weeks ago. In my first 400-500 miles, I had to add about 3 liters of coolant/water mix.

I took it in to a dealer last week (not the dealer where I bought it, but much closer). They said they did a pressure test and found no coolant leak. The service advisor said that the complex cooling system really needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic computer to judge the coolant status. Personally I was wondering if the other dealer skipped part of the CPO inspection and/or did not properly bleed the system, but who knows.

BTW I was shocked that they were able to evaluate it and get it back to me in under 90 minutes. I anticipated at least an hour or two of cool-off time. Was told that they're able to get access quickly now, with the electric coolant pumps.

As Among Us players might say, "Sus." Still, I hope it plays out ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550XI

Guys please check your coolant as much as you can. These engines love to drink oil and burn coolant. I check mine on weekly bases in both reservoirs. These engine run very hot.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851612.00
      02-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

True

Too bad that they seem to have made no provision to check the oil directly.
The small, local dealer says Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W20 is fine. Notably, he did NOT give me a reference to this on dealership letterhead.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokratur View Post
I just picked up my CPO M550 about 3 weeks ago. In my first 400-500 miles, I had to add about 3 liters of coolant/water mix.

I took it in to a dealer last week (not the dealer where I bought it, but much closer). They said they did a pressure test and found no coolant leak. The service advisor said that the complex cooling system really needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic computer to judge the coolant status. Personally I was wondering if the other dealer skipped part of the CPO inspection and/or did not properly bleed the system, but who knows.

BTW I was shocked that they were able to evaluate it and get it back to me in under 90 minutes. I anticipated at least an hour or two of cool-off time. Was told that they're able to get access quickly now, with the electric coolant pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokratur View Post

I had leak, so small pressure test didn't pick it up. Dealer said everything fine until I showed them a picture of my car dripping antifreeze.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So warranty or not, I'm back to diagnosing my own cooling system. This is, I suppose, a never-ending part of my love affair with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #9
vansonrider
Rep
Drives: M550i

2018 BMW M550 with 60K. I was getting the low coolant warning about 10K ago. I topped it off back then and here we go again. This is nuts. I've never had a car with such low miles do this. When I took it in for the last oil change, BMW San Antonio, they said it was leaking and they could fix it for $1,400. That's nuts! BMW = Break My Wallet. I loved driving her fast when I was living in Germany but she's high maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonrider View Post
2018 BMW M550 with 60K. I was getting the low coolant warning about 10K ago. I topped it off back then and here we go again. This is nuts. I've never had a car with such low miles do this. When I took it in for the last oil change, BMW San Antonio, they said it was leaking and they could fix it for $1,400. That's nuts! BMW = Break My Wallet. I loved driving her fast when I was living in Germany but she's high maintenance.
Moral of the story? Don't home remedy a BMW when its still on warranty. Bring it to your deal and get it fixed for free while you can.

Had the same issue on my 2018 540xi. All covered under warranty.
      06-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
vansonrider
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
Moral of the story? Don't home remedy a BMW when its still on warranty. Bring it to your deal and get it fixed for free while you can.

Had the same issue on my 2018 540xi. All covered under warranty.
That's fine and dandy when your car is still under warranty but in Germany the warranty is for 24 months/unlimited miles. By the time I moved back to the US my car was over the 50k US warranty. So no luck for me there. Of course I would have taken it in if I had had that option. This is definitely something that should not be failing this soon on new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

That is some unfortunate timing to be out warranty twice when the same issue occurs.

Absolutely, it shouldn't happen on a new car.