BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW i2 Model Reportedly Coming in 2024

03-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #23
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

BMW is responding to the competition. An i2, as reported, will compete against a VW on their skateboard platform (the replacement for the e-Golf) and the EV XC 40, to name two. Audi is also going to have an EV in this class, also. But, I suspect that all of these are going to be FWD, making BMW's i3 the ONLY choice for someone that prizes this over looks. Given the bargain basement prices for used i3's, these could be a smart choice as the EV version is virtually maintenance and rust-free safety cell. It's unmatched as an urban car for someone with home charging.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #24
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It isn't about commuting distance. We know that a mere 100 miles of range would cover most commutes, yet no company would dare release an EV to the US market in 2019 with such a low range. People are expecting 200+ miles today, which is why nearly every new and upcoming EV provides that.

Sure, on most days we only drive to and from work, maybe stopping on the way in or the way home to run errands. However, the vast majority of the population participates in some leisure activity that requires traveling longer distances on some occasions. So how much more range is necessary? Figure eight hours is spent sleeping and eight hours working, so that leaves eight more hours in a day for additional activity (including the commute). We can further assume that most people would limit drive time to half of their leisure time, which would be roughly four hours. At an average speed of, for the sake or argument, 50mph, we get 200 miles of range. Add in a fudge factor to allow for higher average speeds and allow for a ratio than 50/50 for drive/activity, and 300 miles will probably cover the vast majority of use cases. You charge up at home at night so you never have to waste anywhere from 15 to 60+ minutes of your already-in-short-supply, week-day leisure time waiting for the vehicle to recharge.

So, no, BMW will not release an EV in the US in 2024 with a battery option under 200 miles of range. In fact, the MINI Cooper S E coming later this year is probably the last one with under 200 miles of range we'll see in the states from BMW.
I hear you on the standard is 200 plus miles range but I still think you are wrong about range just scaling over time. Battery packs are still very expensive. BMW still wants to make profits on their cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I hear you on the standard is 200 plus miles range but I still think you are wrong about range just scaling over time.
I didn't say range will "just scale over time". I said that 200 miles of range is already available and expected by today's buyers, and as much as 300 miles of range would make sense for some people.

Quote:
Battery packs are still very expensive. BMW still wants to make profits on their cars.
The cost of batteries is steadily decreasing and this car is five years away.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00