BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding July Software Update

07-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #67
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchwa View Post
I can confirm, AA is a pushed software update!

I had to wait 5 days after getting the cars software updated before I saw AA as an option in my 2020 M550i.
Did the update show up under apps?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #68
churchwa
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
Did the update show up under apps?
I turned my car on today and there it was, listed under Apple Car play in the apps section. I had to restart my Pixel 4 XL to get it work but after that it was seamless.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #69
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I turned my car on today and there it was, listed under Apple Car play in the apps section. I had to restart my Pixel 4 XL to get it work but after that it was seamless.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #70
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

Quote:
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #71
irishpadres
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
I haz Android Auto on my MY20 530e! Dealer upgraded me (for free) to 20-07-525. As soon as I got in the car, it was available!

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #72
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpadres View Post
I haz Android Auto on my MY20 530e! Dealer upgraded me (for free) to 20-07-525. As soon as I got in the car, it was available!

Nice! I'm due to get the update on Thursday. I don't have Android so I won't get to test AA, but I'm looking forward to CarPlay in HUD and other portions of the update, like Maps.

They are setting me up with a Loaner though in case the update takes all day. Which is a bit scary in the COVID era.

Side bar: Nice to see another Plex user It has sucked over 20TB of space from me!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #73
Magic-gnome
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 530xi G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Nice! I'm due to get the update on Thursday. I don't have Android so I won't get to test AA, but I'm looking forward to CarPlay in HUD and other portions of the update, like Maps.

They are setting me up with a Loaner though in case the update takes all day. Which is a bit scary in the COVID era.

Side bar: Nice to see another Plex user It has sucked over 20TB of space from me!

Is Apple Carplay supported with the new firmware in the HUD and the instrument cluster?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #74
irishpadres
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-gnome View Post
Is Apple Carplay supported with the new firmware in the HUD and the instrument cluster?
Yes. I see it as an option in the apps menu.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 04:35 AM   #75
brimur
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

Sorry for the clueless question but most of you specify MY20 when referring to your car. What does that mean? Is that the brand new July built 5 series cars or just built in 2020?

I contacted BMW Connected support and they told me my 5 series (prod date Jan 2020) could not receive Android Auto, that is was only for cars built from July onwards.

When I login to BMW SW update site and enter my VIN I get this...

No update is necessary.
BMW 520D, 2020, VIN
The software of your BMW will be updated automatically.

So I am now unsure if I can get the July update or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #76
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
MY2020 = Model Year 2020. The cars built from 7/1/2020 are Model Year 2021.

You need the update referred to in this thread to get AA on your MY2020 5-Series.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #77
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpadres View Post
Yes. I see it as an option in the apps menu.
What does CarPlay navigation using Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze look like on the HUD? Would you be able to show us a photo?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #78
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I finally got the update installed yesterday and will need to take some time to "write a review" if I can get around to it. But it does bring quote a few changes. I noticed the following on my 530e:

1. Maps has a lot less "options" when you hit "Nav" button in the iDrive controller area. It used to have an extensive list of options like "Contacts" and "GPS Coordinates" and the like and it now has a very condensed list of "Where to?", "Previous Destinations", and "Received Destinations".

2. The default color scheme is Comfort mode is back to Blue on the eDrive cars again. If memory serves me this was Blue originally and then grey after the November Update (except in Eco Pro mode) and it is now back to blue.

3. At least for me, the transmission shifts felt a lot smoother. I'll need more driving time with this one, but it felt a lot more smooth. It was a bit of a nice one because I had a 530i loaner while my car was updated and I mentioned to my wife that the only thing I liked was the transmission felt a bit smoother in its shifts (though it felt like it lags a lot compared to the 530e, but that's expected since electric eliminates the turbo spool up). So nice to see that was addressed, at least for me.

4. The personal assistant appeared to understand me a bit less, but that might just be due to new training and resetting it. I expect this will be normal soon enough. I do like the new animations for it though. Not major, but a nice touch.

5. I haven't tested CarPlay in the HUD yet, but will try that sometime this weekend to get an understanding of its limitations.

6. The max MPG reported under eDrive is no longer "99.9" and it is now "90". I don't know what that will mean in terms of my attempt to keep up with my eMiles. The car also doesn't seem to go immediately to "99.9" when regenerative braking so it may be leaving the ICE on a bit more than it was before to smooth out a bit? Will need to test more.

7. Another interesting thing I noticed is the max speed allowed for eDrive in Auto eDrive looks to have been upgraded quite a lot. Previously, the car would kick on the ICE if you were to exceed 65MPH unless you turned on Max eDrive which opened you up to 85MPH and ICE would kick if only if you hit kick down. That looks like it has been bumped up to 85 or 90MPH in Auto eDrive mode from the instrument cluster which is a nice change.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #79
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I finally got the update installed yesterday and will need to take some time to "write a review" if I can get around to it. But it does bring quote a few changes. I noticed the following on my 530e:

1. Maps has a lot less "options" when you hit "Nav" button in the iDrive controller area. It used to have an extensive list of options like "Contacts" and "GPS Coordinates" and the like and it now has a very condensed list of "Where to?", "Previous Destinations", and "Received Destinations".

2. The default color scheme is Comfort mode is back to Blue on the eDrive cars again. If memory serves me this was Blue originally and then grey after the November Update (except in Eco Pro mode) and it is now back to blue.

3. At least for me, the transmission shifts felt a lot smoother. I'll need more driving time with this one, but it felt a lot more smooth. It was a bit of a nice one because I had a 530i loaner while my car was updated and I mentioned to my wife that the only thing I liked was the transmission felt a bit smoother in its shifts (though it felt like it lags a lot compared to the 530e, but that's expected since electric eliminates the turbo spool up). So nice to see that was addressed, at least for me.

4. The personal assistant appeared to understand me a bit less, but that might just be due to new training and resetting it. I expect this will be normal soon enough. I do like the new animations for it though. Not major, but a nice touch.

5. I haven't tested CarPlay in the HUD yet, but will try that sometime this weekend to get an understanding of its limitations.

6. The max MPG reported under eDrive is no longer "99.9" and it is now "90". I don't know what that will mean in terms of my attempt to keep up with my eMiles. The car also doesn't seem to go immediately to "99.9" when regenerative braking so it may be leaving the ICE on a bit more than it was before to smooth out a bit? Will need to test more.

7. Another interesting thing I noticed is the max speed allowed for eDrive in Auto eDrive looks to have been upgraded quite a lot. Previously, the car would kick on the ICE if you were to exceed 65MPH unless you turned on Max eDrive which opened you up to 85MPH and ICE would kick if only if you hit kick down. That looks like it has been bumped up to 85 or 90MPH in Auto eDrive mode from the instrument cluster which is a nice change.
Thanks!

Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #80
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Oh, I forgot to add the Park Mobile app is still broken. I am actively working with the development team to get this situation fully resolved. So far, I have been able to get them to fix half of the problem. Previously you couldn't "Connect to ConnectedDrive" in the Park Mobile Mobile app. You'd only get an error saying that it couldn't contact BMW when attempting to save.

That works and you can do that as expected. But the car still shows an error. Hopefully we'll have this app working soon...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #81
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Any update Mr Apex? I suspect only Apple Maps has second screen support on the HUD? No Google / Waze?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #82
brimur
Rep

I contacted Connected Drive support and Customer Service about getting the July update for my MY20 G30 specifically to get Android Auto. I was told I can get the update but it will not contain Android Auto...

There are two types of vehicles the latest iDrive system is fitted to, SP15 and SP18. This refers to the underlying hardware. Looking at your BMW I can see that it’s fitted with the SP15 hardware.

The latest July 2020 software will certainly improve the user experience in all models with the latest iDrive unit. However, there are a few features unavailable for SP15 vehicles, Android Auto is one example. I don’t have any further information whether this will be offered in the future as a retrofit I’m sorry to say.

Have others found this to be the case?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #83
churchwa
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimur View Post
I contacted Connected Drive support and Customer Service about getting the July update for my MY20 G30 specifically to get Android Auto. I was told I can get the update but it will not contain Android Auto...

There are two types of vehicles the latest iDrive system is fitted to, SP15 and SP18. This refers to the underlying hardware. Looking at your BMW I can see that it’s fitted with the SP15 hardware.

The latest July 2020 software will certainly improve the user experience in all models with the latest iDrive unit. However, there are a few features unavailable for SP15 vehicles, Android Auto is one example. I don’t have any further information whether this will be offered in the future as a retrofit I’m sorry to say.

Have others found this to be the case?
If you have a build date July 2019 or newer (Model year 2020) 5 series then you will get android auto with the update. The update itself does not install AA, you have to wait for BMW to push it. Took 6 days for mine to show up.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #84
brimur
Rep

Quote:
If you have a build date July 2019 or newer (Model year 2020) 5 series then you will get android auto with the update. The update itself does not install AA, you have to wait for BMW to push it. Took 6 days for mine to show up.
Thanks churchwa, I'll ask them to book me in for the update then.

I have a friend here with a G20 M Sport with ID7, he is wondering if that has the SP15 (Lite) version or Sp18 with RSU? He hasnt checked the menus yet and is wondering if he will get the AA update automatically?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #85
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Any update Mr Apex? I suspect only Apple Maps has second screen support on the HUD? No Google / Waze?
Right now, only Apple Maps, but I suspect Waze and Google Maps will support it with updates as I don't think Apple has locked them out. To my knowledge BMW is the first car maker supporting it even though Apple added it last year so I think it has been low on the list of the competing apps to add.

Hopefully that changes soon!

Quote:

I have a friend here with a G20 M Sport with ID7, he is wondering if that has the SP15 (Lite) version or Sp18 with RSU? He hasnt checked the menus yet and is wondering if he will get the AA update automatically?
The G20 has "full" iDrive 7 so they will get it via an OTA update eventually. But they can get it at the dealer now just like you can. Just depends on how much they care about the new features.

I don't have an Android phone so I was more interested in Cloud Maps and other features BMW shared for the July Update (not that I se much change there).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #86
espensn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 520dxt MHT

Hi

I own a MY20 g30 (Nov. 19). I asked BMW NE via my brother that works at a BMW dealer in Norway if my car could get Android Auto. The reply was this:

Hi

Since the Info in May they updated it and now Android Auto is also available for ID7 cars with SP15.

This is the new information from the latest product update: Android Auto is also available in MGU (ID7) cars with SP15 as long as they have an ex-factory PU > 20-07 (e.g. X3/X4). Vehicles with MGU (ID7) and SP15 with an ex-factory PU < 20-07 can be retrofitted at the dealer.

Best,
X

--
BMW Group
Xxxx xxxx
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #87
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espensn View Post
Hi

I own a MY20 g30 (Nov. 19). I asked BMW NE via my brother that works at a BMW dealer in Norway if my car could get Android Auto. The reply was this:

Hi

Since the Info in May they updated it and now Android Auto is also available for ID7 cars with SP15.

This is the new information from the latest product update: Android Auto is also available in MGU (ID7) cars with SP15 as long as they have an ex-factory PU > 20-07 (e.g. X3/X4). Vehicles with MGU (ID7) and SP15 with an ex-factory PU < 20-07 can be retrofitted at the dealer.

Best,
X

--
BMW Group
Xxxx xxxx
I don't know what that means as I'm not sure what PU and etc exactly is....

But it sounds like they are saying the car needs something retrofitted to support AA on the update? What would the be retrofitting? SP18? My understanding is that isn't possible to retrofit...

Either way, I, and many others in this thread, have the July update installed on my MY2020 G30 w/ iDrive 7 and SP15. So it is possible without any retrofitting and just needs the dealer update installed. This is global as it has similarly been reported in China and other markets in addition to the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:27 AM   #88
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:

I am sure that the G20 never had SP15 - if it has ID7 then it will be SP18 and have Remote Software Update. The only models that had ID ‘Lite’ from last July were G30, G31, F90, G32, G01 & G02 all other went straight to SP15.
Appreciate 0