BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Driving Assistant Plus - Lane Change Assistant

06-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #67
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by uadissa View Post
Thanks for sharing this mate.
What istep your car is running ? Also do you have 8TR on your FA?
I do indeed have 8TR and I VO coded removing it. The funny thing is when I compared before and after FWL tracing files using Coding-Verification in E-Sys, there was no change whatsoever and I am left scratching my head as to what it does in the first place. I'll leave that to the smart guys on here to answer. Anyways Automatic Lane Change is now working for me but full disclosure, I also compared before and after tracing files for 5AU (Driving Assistant Pro) and manually coded the difference between it and 5AT (Driving Assistant Plus) but I excluded the Driver Camera and the steering wheel mounted green LEDs which my car does not have. I test drove and have no faults. I will FDL code removing the checkbox later this evening and report back. My I-Step is S15A-20-03-540.

Last edited by Bandoul; 06-07-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #68
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmyzhou View Post
Not able to select, just leave it there, the LCA works when you activate ACC and Lane Keeping assit at then same time, also you need to reach 70km/h without speeding(it means you need a express way with speed limit like 80km/h or higher). When everything is enabled and showing green, make sure your side lane is clear,no cars near you, and gently holdyour turn signal without triggering constant signal(I don't know better description, it's what you do when you trigger 3x turn signal), and hold until the green lane on display start to blink, and you'll find your car is changing lane automatically.
Thank you, however I don't need to have ACC ON to use this feature on my G30, I just have to have the Driving Assistant ON, but it works with both on too.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #69
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
You don't need the HU_MGU setting except on G05, etc (full I-drive 7).

The underlying Boolean in the cafd has it set to false for other models. Personally I wouldn't set it, though it doesn't appear to cause any issues other than an inactive menu item appearing in idrive.
Thank you, I will remove
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #70
jimmmyzhou
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this mate.
What istep your car is running ? Also do you have 8TR on your FA?
My G08(G01 CN version) runs I-Step 19-11-540 currently, and I do have 8TR in my FA, I got LCA working without removing 8TR, just 1 code in MGU and 2 codes in SAS module, though 8TR maybe a problem for other region cars?
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #71
jimmmyzhou
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Thank you, however I don't need to have ACC ON to use this feature on my G30, I just have to have the Driving Assistant ON, but it works with both on too.
Great! I'll try with only DA on and see if it works!
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #72
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
My G08(G01 CN version) runs I-Step 19-11-540 currently, and I do have 8TR in my FA, I got LCA working without removing 8TR, just 1 code in MGU and 2 codes in SAS module, though 8TR maybe a problem for other region cars?
FA codes are only relevant when VO Coding. The car doesn't generally use the FA other than when an i-step version is upgraded.At that point the upgrade process VO Codes each module based on your FA, build version, etc.

If you FDL code, then you can keep any code in your FA, it's pretty much irrelevant.

If you don't want to FDL code, or can't, then you can remove a code from your FA such as 8TR, or add a feature such as 5AR (traffic jam assistant) and VO Code the specific modules impacted by that code.

Benefits of VO Coding over FDL coding are: doesn't need a launcher, it can be done with just esys. Settings persist even when a dealer updates the i-step.

The obvious benefit of FDL coding is that you can code anything, whereas VO Coding only applies for specific features.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #73
jimmmyzhou
Private
Rep

Quote:
FA codes are only relevant when VO Coding. The car doesn't generally use the FA other than when an i-step version is upgraded.At that point the upgrade process VO Codes each module based on your FA, build version, etc.

If you FDL code, then you can keep any code in your FA, it's pretty much irrelevant.

If you don't want to FDL code, or can't, then you can remove a code from your FA such as 8TR, or add a feature such as 5AR (traffic jam assistant) and VO Code the specific modules impacted by that code.

Benefits of VO Coding over FDL coding are: doesn't need a launcher, it can be done with just esys. Settings persist even when a dealer updates the i-step.

The obvious benefit of FDL coding is that you can code anything, whereas VO Coding only applies for specific features.
Thanks for sharing, now I have a better idea about them. BTW, I heard that dealer can get your FA from BMW online database based on your VIN, and generate corresponding FA, do the complete programming, then all the changes made on your car are gone. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:58 AM   #74
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for sharing, now I have a better idea about them. BTW, I heard that dealer can get your FA from BMW online database based on your VIN, and generate corresponding FA, do the complete programming, then all the changes made on your car are gone. Is this true?
It's possible but highly unlikely. It's easy to generate a new FA using esys based on online vin lookup tools, write that to the car then recode each ECU.

Not sure a dealer would have a reason to do that, but even if they did, it's easily changed once you get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #75
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

FA stands for fahrzeugauftrag which is a german word for Vehicle order aka VO, so FA and VO is all the same meaning. There are ways of getting your original VO in a .xml file based on your vin.

Also you dont need to write the VO changes to the car after VO coding, that way you keep your original VO intact and have no problems when going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #76
uadissa
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 20D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
FA stands for fahrzeugauftrag which is a german word for Vehicle order aka VO, so FA and VO is all the same meaning. There are ways of getting your original VO in a .xml file based on your vin.

Also you dont need to write the VO changes to the car after VO coding, that way you keep your original VO intact and have no problems when going to the dealer.
I didn't exclusively write the VO, but when I selected the module pressed code to VO code it, somehow it has written the VO as well. In one of the steps it said FA written to VCM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #77
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
I didn't exclusively write the VO, but when I selected the module pressed code to VO code it, somehow it has written the VO as well. In one of the steps it said FA written to VCM.
Then you need to go to Options - Settings click on tab options and uncheck tab "Update VCM after TAL execution" and uncheck tab "Update MSM after TAL execution"
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #78
vinch9292
China
Rep
Drives: BMW 530Le G38

5AT issues

Did anyone with 5AT option happened to came across this sign?
I retrofitted 5AT option on my 530e, this sign pops up frequently on the HUD only, with or without the adaptive driving plus features been on. So far the the features been functional even the sign pops up. Not sure what seem to be the problems. Most features LKA, SLI, ACC etc are working so far except LCA not working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #79
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That sign means you are driving too close to the car in front.
Dry roads you should allow a 2 second gap, more if it's wet and even more if it's icy!
Then should the car in front slam on their brakes, you should be able to stop in time.

As the distance is based upon time, the rule works at any speed

found this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule

Last edited by AP; 07-15-2020 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      07-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #80
JDSX
5th BMW
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Greetings,

I'm guessing most of you are using laptops with the full coding software. Has anyone been able to get this working with a mobile app like Bimmercode? I tried today on my 2020 M550i. I found "Spurwechselassistent" but not the two C_SWA_* settings.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #81
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSX View Post
Greetings,

I'm guessing most of you are using laptops with the full coding software. Has anyone been able to get this working with a mobile app like Bimmercode? I tried today on my 2020 M550i. I found "Spurwechselassistent" but not the two C_SWA_* settings.

I did look into it using Bimmercode as well, but as I understand it, you need access to the "SLA module", where something needs to be activated. And it does not seem like Bimmercode has access to that module.
      08-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #82
JDSX
5th BMW
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
I did look into it using Bimmercode as well, but as I understand it, you need access to the "SLA module", where something needs to be activated. And it does not seem like Bimmercode has access to that module.
I asked Bimmercode support: "Not possible with Bimmercode at the moment, because the SAS is not accessible. Some control units containing function that directly affect driving safety do not allow access using expert mode."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #83
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSX View Post
I asked Bimmercode support: "Not possible with Bimmercode at the moment, because the SAS is not accessible. Some control units containing function that directly affect driving safety do not allow access using expert mode."
Thanks.

I did solve the problem, though. I bought a newer G31 that has, amongst other things, Driving Assist Plus
JDSX4.00
      09-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #84
AP
Major General
Rep

The other thing I picked up elsewhere on these forums is that lane change assistant is disabled if you have individual paint.
Paint is too thick if you go this route and interferes with the sensors behind the bumper.
(also apparently why repairs have to be sensitive to that fact)

so if you have individual pain, probably best not to try and enable as it is not expected to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #85
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

it seems there are a number of coding experts reading this post any comment on these recent features?

The component protection is extended to the vehicles G11, G12 version as of 07/2015 and F15, F16, F85, F86 with version as of 07/2016.
As well as the HU-H2 (formerly NBT Evo), the component protection is also active since 3/2018 for the HU-B2 (formerly Entry Evo) and also in the HU-H3 MGU since 7/2018.

New protection against tampering - control unit encoding in G05, G15 and subsequent vehicles, the

HU-H3 (formerly MGU),
TCB,
RSE
and instrument cluster control units are linked together. This should prevent tampering with vehicles.

If one or more of the components are exchanged, the connection must then be re-established. In order to re-establish the connection, an electronic certificate must be created in a BMW backend and imported into the vehicle.

does this stop coding of extra toys or brings issues / failures updating in the future ... or just makes coding of stolen head units into other vehicles harder?

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-30-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #86
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Is there a way to have the Lane Assist on per default? At the moment I have to activate it each time I start the car (and each time the drivers door has been opened...).

I have Bimmercode.
      10-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #87
AP
Major General
Rep

Blimey you are brave!
Surely that's going to be a hinderence while you manoeuvre the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #88
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Why? It´s not active before you go over a surden speed (60 km/h?)