BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Instrument cluster question-530e

07-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
johnnyp420
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e M sport

Garage List
2018 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Instrument cluster question-530e

To start- I do not have the advanced driving package on my 530e and the regular 8.8 inch display. In the iDrive settings menu, you can select a layout for the digital gauge cluster- standard, reduced and individual. The standard layout looks like it would display information about the radar cruise, etc., but since that package isn't equipped, it doesn't show anything except cool looking lines that change color depending on the drive mode. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp420 View Post
To start- I do not have the advanced driving package on my 530e and the regular 8.8 inch display. In the iDrive settings menu, you can select a layout for the digital gauge cluster- standard, reduced and individual. The standard layout looks like it would display information about the radar cruise, etc., but since that package isn't equipped, it doesn't show anything except cool looking lines that change color depending on the drive mode. Am I missing something here?
Depends. If you bought the 530e to get great fuel economy, then it does matter. But then why buy a BMW?

In my case I care about the environment and getting to drive in the car pool lane and not about how many mpg I get (although I do track it for the purpose of the environment). So I had my car programmed to show the Alpina blue display instead. Now the only information I get on my display is how many miles are left but I get a permanent tach.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
johnnyp420
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e M sport

Garage List
2018 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Not sure I get your first point, but I too got the "e" so I can take the HOV lanes in my region. I was just curious if that area of the gauge cluster is supposed to display any useful info, or if it was more of an aesthetic function.

As far as coding your display to the Alpina layout, do you have the standard instrument cluster with the plastic rings or the upgraded cluster? I'd love to do the same, but was under the impression it wouldn't display right with the plastic rings.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp420 View Post
Not sure I get your first point, but I too got the "e" so I can take the HOV lanes in my region. I was just curious if that area of the gauge cluster is supposed to display any useful info, or if it was more of an aesthetic function.

As far as coding your display to the Alpina layout, do you have the standard instrument cluster with the plastic rings or the upgraded cluster? I'd love to do the same, but was under the impression it wouldn't display right with the plastic rings.
Mine is a 2018 with the electronic display but with the partial rings. Mine was the upgraded cluster at the time.
Appreciate 0