BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Replacing to Touch Climate Controller (is g11 part compatible?)

07-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
negative
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 LCI

Replacing to Touch Climate Controller (is g11 part compatible?)

Hello

I've just bought a new G30 LCI car and i hope it will arrive on end of the August. However, i don't have 4-zone climate controller because of non special order car.

But I would like to upgrade my climate control unit to touch version which comes with 4-zone climate feature.

I have Electroplat covering so my climate buttons are silver. So if i go buy the standart g30 touch climate panel, it comes with standart black plastic buttons.

However, i'm thinking that apply the touch climate control unit from G11 series. it comes fully chrome buttons and have touch climate screen function. But i see that g11 and g30 100% same but have different connections.

Someone did it on bmw x3 (they are same with g30) in here what i want. (g11 touch climate unit to x3(g30)
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=22

How can i go then?
First way is go to buy original g30 touch climate control (but doesn't come with electroplat covering) and it fits 100% without issue

Another way and what i wonder is g11 climate unit may fit to my car?

Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Yes, the wiring connections should be the same. You would just have to make the same modifications that they did on the X3 and it should work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
negative
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Yes, the wiring connections should be the same. You would just have to make the same modifications that they did on the X3 and it should work just fine.
Yes i agree that but i didn’t learn the required modifications exactly. Also i sent a pm to person but didn’t answer yet.

If you look, the connection pins are more different and g11 climate console doesnt fit to g30 directly even wiring connections are same and device works well.

Sizes, frames, wiring are same expect mounting points.

So, i m not sure about that back frames of the g11 climate unit changeable with g30 original back covers/ frames. If confirm that, i will go buy a g11 climate unit
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Looking at the wiring diagram the wires are the same. You would just need to take the controls out and see if it would fit into g30 trim piece, but since there isn't any info on the part sites, they may not fit. Only way to know would be to try it. It also looks like BMW may not sell that trim piece by itself, at least it is not showing on the part diagrams that I can find. You would have to find it used.

Another option would be that BMW sells replacement buttons for the G30 climate panel with the 4U0 - Galvanic Controls (metal buttons), that you could order and just swap on to the G30 panel. The problem is I don't know if it replaces all the buttons or just some of them.

I notice you said you are awaiting a LCI G30. None of the part lists/repair documents have come out yet for the LCI, so there is no way to know 100% that using the pre-LCI parts will work.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Old thread, but to update: I found a set of G11 touch controls on ebay. It fits just like the g30 unit and it plugs in just fine. It is a direct plug and play swap. No coding needed, just pull the old unit out, unplug it, plug in the new one, pop it in and you're done.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:46 AM   #6
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Old thread, but to update: I found a set of G11 touch controls on ebay. It fits just like the g30 unit and it plugs in just fine. It is a direct plug and play swap. No coding needed, just pull the old unit out, unplug it, plug in the new one, pop it in and you're done.
Awesome! Thanks for the update! About to buy a 2017 740i Bmw Temp Control Unit with ceramic buttons. Are they all touchscreen? Part # 61316822777. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:51 AM   #7
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Or if you can add the part# of the one you got and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:26 AM   #8
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

I don't know if they are all touch screen. I know that some of them have silver buttons and some have black buttons, but none of them had actual buttons, just the touch screen. I got the part from a salvage yard in Glendale, CA. They posted the part up on ebay.

I just looked at the pictures on the listing very carefully and contacted the seller.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
I don't know if they are all touch screen. I know that some of them have silver buttons and some have black buttons, but none of them had actual buttons, just the touch screen. I got the part from a salvage yard in Glendale, CA. They posted the part up on ebay.

I just looked at the pictures on the listing very carefully and contacted the seller.
Appreciate the help! So the 740i version looks like it has different mounting points in the back. It looks like I need to remove the radio and climate controls and put it into my 5 trim. So even the the plug is the same, the back is different so it's not completely plug and play for me at least. Did you have to do the same? Thanks!

Last edited by Supacat; 08-19-2021 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:59 AM   #10
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

The panel I got was from a G11 and it was a quick swap. It had the same 4 posts on the back to mount it and same plugs for the OEM pigtails.

The only way to make it fit is to make sure you have the same 4 posts on the back. If you find a unit without a CD player, and your G30 has a CD player, you can swap the AC control portion out. It clips into the black plastic trim.
Appreciate 0