BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Free Wheel Alignment

03-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Free Wheel Alignment

In the first 2000 miles, your BMW warranty will provide for a wheel alignment and balancing, if you have a problem. My cars "always" have a problem with pulling to one side, or other. In 75% of my cars, the factory-set alignment was off. Good insurance for extra tire wear if you can take the time to have it checked.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
In the first 2000 miles, your BMW warranty will provide for a wheel alignment and balancing, if you have a problem. My cars "always" have a problem with pulling to one side, or other. In 75% of my cars, the factory-set alignment was off. Good insurance for extra tire wear if you can take the time to have it checked.
I align my cars every 2 years at the dealer. BMWs align best with their KDS equipment. Just had my G30 aligned a couple of weeks ago. The car was tracking straight before the alignment but the KDS revealed the steering angle to be off center and not
Leveled.

Good investment. No issues with abnormal or premature tire wear as I keep checking g tire pressures like a hawk.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      03-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
My 530e tracked straight from the factory. I did get my wheels balanced at 5K miles, but that was due to our shit roads here.

My MB C300 was a CPO and never tracked straight no matter how many alignments MB did on it...

I wouldn't do an alignment though unless you had an issue with tracking or alignment out wear patterns. From what I can see BMW dealers really love pushing alignments it is a bit strange... They are also much more expensive than they were at MB near me.

My only guess.... BMW includes free maintenance for 3 years (typical lease time) so dealers use the alignment mess to juice their service revenue above what BMW will pay them.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
My 530e tracked straight from the factory. I did get my wheels balanced at 5K miles, but that was due to our shit roads here.

My MB C300 was a CPO and never tracked straight no matter how many alignments MB did on it...

I wouldn't do an alignment though unless you had an issue with tracking or alignment out wear patterns. From what I can see BMW dealers really love pushing alignments it is a bit strange... They are also much more expensive than they were at MB near me.

My only guess.... BMW includes free maintenance for 3 years (typical lease time) so dealers use the alignment mess to juice their service revenue above what BMW will pay them.
I don't necessarily see it that way.

To me alignments should be part of the vehicle's maintenance arsenal and more so if you happen to drive on poorly maintained roads.

But then again, I purchase to own. I don't lease.

In my case, I had the rear right tire with a nail and the thread was very near 3/32 or close to replacement. Since I have the BMW Tire & Wheel insurance they went ahead and replaced the tire. I was also pleased to see that they also picked up the tab and replaced the rear left tire also near 3/32 thread left but no otherwise no punctures. My total cash outlay for 2 new tires mounted and balanced was $50. Paid $900 for the insurance and still have 3 years of coverage left.

Since I was getting new rubber put in the rear I requested also to have the BMW KDS alignment done $179. Made sense for 2 reasons:

Car is 2 years old, never done an alignment and putting new tires.

The printed alignment report uncovered some measures a bit outside of spec including the steering wheel thrust angle.

The car tracked straight and true with no pulling but the KDS report revealed key measurements a bit off spec. The car post alignment drives much better.

I believe it is up to the vehicle to decide if the BWM KDS alignment is worth the money. In my experience it is. On the past I had issues with alignments done at reputable independents. BMWs don't align well outside of the BMW KDS Hunter alignment equipment. Of course it also depends on the training and experience of the tech performing said alignment.

A car that doesn't align properly is often an indication of prior accident repair. Was your CPO Mercedes verified as being free from prior severe damage?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I don't necessarily see it that way.

To me alignments should be part of the vehicle's maintenance arsenal and more so if you happen to drive on poorly maintained roads.

But then again, I purchase to own. I don't lease.

In my case, I had the rear right tire with a nail and the thread was very near 3/32 or close to replacement. Since I have the BMW Tire & Wheel insurance they went ahead and replaced the tire. I was also pleased to see that they also picked up the tab and replaced the rear left tire also near 3/32 thread left but no otherwise no punctures. My total cash outlay for 2 new tires mounted and balanced was $50. Paid $900 for the insurance and still have 3 years of coverage left.

Since I was getting new rubber put in the rear I requested also to have the BMW KDS alignment done $179. Made sense for 2 reasons:

Car is 2 years old, never done an alignment and putting new tires.

The printed alignment report uncovered some measures a bit outside of spec including the steering wheel thrust angle.

The car tracked straight and true with no pulling but the KDS report revealed key measurements a bit off spec. The car post alignment drives much better.

I believe it is up to the vehicle to decide if the BWM KDS alignment is worth the money. In my experience it is. On the past I had issues with alignments done at reputable independents. BMWs don't align well outside of the BMW KDS Hunter alignment equipment. Of course it also depends on the training and experience of the tech performing said alignment.

A car that doesn't align properly is often an indication of prior accident repair. Was your CPO Mercedes verified as being free from prior severe damage?
My MB had no prior accident history, but was a loaner so there is room for there to be prior damage that wasn't reported. It always tracked to the right a bit. There was lots of discussion on the MB forums with some saying MB always do that a bit (I don't buy it). But I never had tire wear issues and it was a minor problem in the grand scheme of things. The car drove well and, as I mentioned, had no tire wear issues just a tiny pull. All alignments were done purely at MB using MB equipment and dealer confirmed it was all in spec. MB didn't recommend additional alignments and I think I did maybe 2 in the 5 years I owned the car and both were in the early stages.

I also don't lease and only own. My MB was my first car and picked up CPO, but my 530e is my first new car.

I'd disagree that an alignment should be needed as a routine maintenance item though. If the car is pulling or if the tires show wear signs that suggest alignment is out sure, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Steering angle is one of those things they can easily play around a bit with on an alignment report. They are supposed to make sure the wheel is centered on the rack, but sometimes they'll pull it a bit off center to throw it in the report. If the steering is truly off center you should see that as your car would only track straight when the steering wheel is off center.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

If the tire show uneven wear, it's too late for that tire(s).
Appreciate 2
Warp Ten627.00
clee1982796.00
      04-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

didn't know that, well I passed 2k miles, but no issue so far, so fingre crossed...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
If the tire show uneven wear, it's too late for that tire(s).
Yeah it would depend on how often you check your tires. I do rotations every 5K miles, same as I did on my MB, so I'd see uneven wear early enough that I can act on it. I never had uneven wear on my MB over 80K miles of driving.

So far, I'm not seeing uneven wear on my 530e at 5K miles and they were just rotated before COVID become a problem.

It is hard for me to understand why an alignment would be done as a "maintenance" item. The car should be either aligned or not aligned. If it is not aligned then you should have symptoms to go along with it... Uneven wear, failing to stay aligned, etc.
Appreciate 0