BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 540i Wagner intake manifold?

11-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

540i Wagner intake manifold?

Has anyone fitted on of these to the 540i yet? i have one on the way and curious to know if you had any install issues, they don't actually list them for the 540i but supplier said it should still fit it just was probably never tested fitted on a g30 due to small market

https://pureturbos.eu/intake-manifol...-1-engine.html
      11-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sub'd for feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Sub'd for feedback
Arriving Monday hopefully* 😁 I'll just be fitting the manifold by itself initially and hopefully see some real-world improvements. Then look into PI meth kit or injectors with reflex plus controller.
      11-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Arriving Monday hopefully* 😁 I'll just be fitting the manifold by itself initially and hopefully see some real-world improvements. Then look into PI meth kit or injectors with reflex plus controller.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Not even any rough HP increase numbers? What if it does nothing, and you just spent 3k on something that doesn't do anything and no one can see.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:34 AM   #6
BWilson263
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i - 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Not even any rough HP increase numbers? What if it does nothing, and you just spent 3k on something that doesn't do anything and no one can see.
Won't know if not tried.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 04:26 AM   #7
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post

Usually an intercooler/ manifold upgrade doesn't do much buy itself, just lower IATs, reduced back pressure on the turbo, not prone to leaking or cracking like stock plastic manifold. It also gives you the option to add port injection fueling or meth nozzles to up the fueling supply.

I haven't figured that part of the setup yet but something will be added in.

I didn't pay anywhere near 3k on it, a nice early Black Friday deal was had. Also i tend not to buy mods for just for people to see in the engine bay, maybe back in my 20's!

"Hey man, what you got under the hood...."

There is some data graphs on the Wagner Tuning website:

11-09-2023, 04:28 AM   #8
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilson263 View Post
Won't know if not tried.
You gotta pay to play right?
      11-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

So i got intake manifold fitted over the weekend. Pain in the ass to do on the G30 due to such a long( and low in my case) engine bay.

Couple of notes:
Wagner supplied instructions are terrible, a mix of gen1 and gen2 phots thrown together with some badly google translated German to English notes. Its more of a summary than an installation guide

Charge pipe: you need to use the Wagner supplied top charge pipe section, its a horrible design, on the top left bolt hole is blocked by the charge pipe, i literally had to macgyver a bolt and nut setup together to secure it fully. Added to the fact that when i last fitted my FTP charge pipe i cross threaded the same hole on the throttle body the bolt snapped and i spent hald a day drilling this and re-tapping(badly) the threads!(New throttle body ordered to retrofit)

Ensure you add the intake manifold sensor into the intake manifold before you fit it in place, as the rocker cover will prevent you from easily securing the bolt it once manifold is secured in place.

Manifold port "gaskets" - again, seems like a crappy design, they are more like o rings than substantial gaskets and as a result the ones on cylinder 5 and 6 kept falling out as i tried to align the manifold with the cylinder head ports

Coolant connections - the ports stick straight out the back, very limited room to try attach the hoses after the fact so you should half side in the manifold connect and secure the hose clamps and pray you can angle and route the supplied coolant pipes neatly with no harsh kinks or bends or rubbing issues. I also have an upgraded fuel line back there for my MHD flex fuel sensor setup so that was right in the way of the new coolant pipes

Now this kit isnt listed as being 540i compatible, so that might be the cause of some of my clearance issues, but you would assume the g30 has more engine bay space than the 1-4 series siblings right?

Coolant refilled and bleed a couple of times ill keep an eye on coolant levels, and monitor for leaks before i go full send chasing new Dragy PB's!

I still have a few covers to reinstall and supplied harness bracket mounts to fit and cable tie and dress up some sections of loom for a cleaner look and adjust and double check all bolts and clamps

Here's a few pics of it installed, i had great intentions of making some videos and full walkthrough guide but the install was just to time consuming for me i didnt have the patience! I report back with some data once i know everything is buttoned up properly

I3LaZeN504.50
Junebug851613.50
slack11.50
      11-21-2023, 01:28 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
So i got intake manifold fitted over the weekend. Pain in the ass to do on the G30 due to such a long( and low in my case) engine bay.

Couple of notes:
Wagner supplied instructions are terrible, a mix of gen1 and gen2 phots thrown together with some badly google translated German to English notes. Its more of a summary than an installation guide

Charge pipe: you need to use the Wagner supplied top charge pipe section, its a horrible design, on the top left bolt hole is blocked by the charge pipe, i literally had to macgyver a bolt and nut setup together to secure it fully. Added to the fact that when i last fitted my FTP charge pipe i cross threaded the same hole on the throttle body the bolt snapped and i spent hald a day drilling this and re-tapping(badly) the threads!(New throttle body ordered to retrofit)

Ensure you add the intake manifold sensor into the intake manifold before you fit it in place, as the rocker cover will prevent you from easily securing the bolt it once manifold is secured in place.

Manifold port "gaskets" - again, seems like a crappy design, they are more like o rings than substantial gaskets and as a result the ones on cylinder 5 and 6 kept falling out as i tried to align the manifold with the cylinder head ports

Coolant connections - the ports stick straight out the back, very limited room to try attach the hoses after the fact so you should half side in the manifold connect and secure the hose clamps and pray you can angle and route the supplied coolant pipes neatly with no harsh kinks or bends or rubbing issues. I also have an upgraded fuel line back there for my MHD flex fuel sensor setup so that was right in the way of the new coolant pipes

Now this kit isnt listed as being 540i compatible, so that might be the cause of some of my clearance issues, but you would assume the g30 has more engine bay space than the 1-4 series siblings right?

Coolant refilled and bleed a couple of times ill keep an eye on coolant levels, and monitor for leaks before i go full send chasing new Dragy PB's!

I still have a few covers to reinstall and supplied harness bracket mounts to fit and cable tie and dress up some sections of loom for a cleaner look and adjust and double check all bolts and clamps

Here's a few pics of it installed, i had great intentions of making some videos and full walkthrough guide but the install was just to time consuming for me i didnt have the patience! I report back with some data once i know everything is buttoned up properly
Im sorry to hear that the installation did not go smoothly, now that's on the car, hopefully it will be worth the trouble.

Appreciate 0