BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Who switched from RF to Regular tires?

03-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #23
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I replaced the first gen RF Goodyears on my 2015 528i immediately. 15,000 miles later, I did a lease turn in and put the Goodyear RF's back on. The replacement Continental DWS 06 A/S still had 70% tread. Just bought a 2020 530e for me and immediately switched out the Pirelli RF's with the old Conti's. Ride improved, but my wife's 2020 530e also has the Pirelli RF's PLUS the Dynamic Damper Control. Her car, with the DDC has a better ride than mine with the Conti's. I'm leaving the RF's on her car and saving the spare set of Pirelli's for when her RF's wear out at 15,000 miles or have sidewall damage from the Houston pothole slalom. I expect the Conti's on my 530e will still be OK when I trade it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM1206 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
I ordered my car M550i, with 19” wheels and the spare tire option. I will replace the RFs with regular tires either when the rears wear-out or after I hit a pot hole and get bulges in the sidewalls like I did when my E60 was new.
I had a similar plan myself. I was going to replace RFTs at around 10K miles but after one full month of dealing with RFTs I am very close to getting rid of them any day now.

The only question is which ones to get? The proven AS3+ or the new Goodyear Exhilarate. According to the latest tirerack tests, Goodyears have the best wet traction and ride more comfortably than AS3+.

I am leaning towards AS3+ currently but may change my mind any moment.

BTW, my car came with newer GoodYear Eagle Sport All-Season runflat tires and the wet grip is exceptional.
In my opinion go with a proven tire that has a lot of reviews on Tire Rack... I currently have the A/S 3+ but have also had 2 sets of the DWS06 which were very good too. Both are well reviewed and proven to wear well. Newer tires can be a crapshoot as far as wear and noise if there aren't any long term reviews.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      03-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #25
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal540 View Post
In my opinion go with a proven tire that has a lot of reviews on Tire Rack... I currently have the A/S 3+ but have also had 2 sets of the DWS06 which were very good too. Both are well reviewed and proven to wear well. Newer tires can be a crapshoot as far as wear and noise if there aren't any long term reviews.
I agree with you. I have dealt with Tire Rack for what at least seems like close to 40 years. I admit I don’t buy much from them anymore because Discount tire got their act together and it’s just easier to buy local. But I do consider Tire Rack to be the best source of information.
ted99242.00
      03-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #26
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM1206 View Post
I had a similar plan myself. I was going to replace RFTs at around 10K miles but after one full month of dealing with RFTs I am very close to getting rid of them any day now.

The only question is which ones to get? The proven AS3+ or the new Goodyear Exhilarate. According to the latest tirerack tests, Goodyears have the best wet traction and ride more comfortably than AS3+.

I am leaning towards AS3+ currently but may change my mind any moment.

BTW, my car came with newer GoodYear Eagle Sport All-Season runflat tires and the wet grip is exceptional.
I have 20" wheels and switched from Goodyear F1 RFT to the AS3+ . Ride is improved (to the point Adaptive or Sport is as good as comfort with RFTs). Handling and wet traction are a match. I do find the AS3+ to have more tire noise at speed on many road surfaces. The F1 were BMW spec, my AS3+ are not....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #27
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I agree with you. I have dealt with Tire Rack for what at least seems like close to 40 years. I admit I don’t buy much from them anymore because Discount tire got their act together and it’s just easier to buy local. But I do consider Tire Rack to be the best source of information.
Another vote for Discount tire after many years with Tire Rack. They price match with Tire Rack, PLUS they have patched two nail punctures in OEM RF's. Had to trash one other RF because the nail was in the edge of the tread. I replaced a set of OEM RF's when I took delivery with Conti DWS 08 from them and when I did the lease turn-in, Discount Tire switched the original RF's back on for free for lease turn-in.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #28
Phin
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d xdrive

Won't changing your tyres from RF to some other spec count as a modification and invalidate insurance, unless you inform them of course?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #29
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
Won't changing your tyres from RF to some other spec count as a modification and invalidate insurance, unless you inform them of course?
I'm guesssing you are in Europe. I've heard of that sort of thing, but never in the U.S.
ted99242.00
      03-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #30
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

No love for Michelin PS4S? Dumped my BadYears for them after a few thousand miles on my 20’s. I did buy a spare tire kit though. Worth every penny. Much smoother ride and quieter, superior handling. Less jarring on impacts. About 1mpg loss though due to higher rolling resistance...

If you don’t need all seasons it’s the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #31
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

My '18 M550i came with 19" Michelin Primacy 3 run flats. After picking up a sidewall staple in one I replaced the lot with Pirelli P-Zero run flats. The Pirelli's are, hands down, a better tire. I'm very happy with them and will likely buy a new set once these wear out.

The P-Zeros do have a lower loading index than the Primacy 3's (96Y vs 100Y in the rear, for example). One tire shop refused to even consider putting them on the car because of this. The dealership, on the other hand, was more than happy to do so. I personally calculated out the maximum loading and made a mental note to not drive around with four passengers AND a trunk full of lead.

I've found running a couple psi above the TPMS suggestions work best for the P-Zeros.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:22 AM   #32
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I'm on my second set of CONTINENTAL CONTIPROCONTACT SSR RFT's and have no idea what to replace them with. The tires came with the car (245/45/18's) are all season and wear out after 40,000 miles. They seem like a good compromise as I do a lot of driving and like the ability to "run flat" but feel I could do better with a newer-designed tire.

No problems with "bubbles" or bent wheels (except when hitting a 4x4 plank at 70 mph!) but they are $320 more per set than non-RFT options. I drive to several places and would lose $$$ if I couldn't drive on a RFT for 50+ miles if needed. Carry an inflator kit and tire plugs just in case but have no room for a spare...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #33
Zeroheight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I debated this in my head forever......well, at least until I popped the second Goodyear F1 runflat in a few months. I finally decided on Michelin PS3ZP. Still a runflat, but much quieter and smoother, and with sporty performance similar to the PS4S I had on my M4. No need for winter tires in San Antonio. Still mulling over what I will do when they wear out, as the PS4S are significantly cheaper. I, too, have a slime kit, pump and plug repair kit in my car.
Go with the PS4S, u'll love them! The ride n handling will be so much better too !
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #34
TMack
Road Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMack View Post
Other than the births of my children, switching away from run-flat tires was the happiest day of my life. I hated them that much.
I forgot to mention that the non-RF tire I went with is the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Yes, I’d rather have summer tires (half the time) but I find these high performance all-seasons to perform remarkably well. They feel smooth and have better-than-expected grip. And they’re way more practical for me than switching back and forth between summer and winter tires. Here in KC there just aren’t a lot of true snow days to justify snow tires.
      03-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #35
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

So many choices... I'm in the North East so I'm leaning towards the DWS. Which is the ones that have softer sidewalks? Michelin or Continentals? Lots of potholes here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
So many choices... I'm in the North East so I'm leaning towards the DWS. Which is the ones that have softer sidewalks? Michelin or Continentals? Lots of potholes here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
My car came with michelin primacy mx4. I am At 32000 miles and should make it until next winter October.

What is Advantage of switching to conti dws or mich pilot a/s 3?

I was thinking about trying michelin premier as next. They claim as tire wears, your wet and snow traction stay the same as new.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #37
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

I also swapped out my RFT's for Continental DWS06's and am very happy w/ the performance. Summer performance tires didn't make sense for me on an AWD car with cold winters in Virginia
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #38
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

I think RFT are awesome for short distance, back and forth daily driving. No immediate effort required in case of a flat vs putting the spare on by yourself by the roadside. You get a leak on the RFT, you drive back home\dealer, order a tire, get the tire replaced day(s) later.

Now, here's what I was never able to wrap my head around and it seems to me like a disaster waiting to happen. Say I go on a road trip, RFT gets punctured and I need a new tire. I am some 150 miles away from home and it's a Saturday 1am. Cannot turn around and drive back that far with no air even on a RFT. No, I cannot keep stopping every 5 miles trying to use compressor on the tire, the air is leaking badly. Its not something I can patch via some spray either. What are my choices now? Get a flat bed and get the car towed to BMW\my house that seems to be the only choice. Cancel the road trip, get a hotel and wait till the car is back on the road LOL

In my opinion this is beyond crazy. A simple tire puncture will turn into a mini, middle of the night project. I would end-up being stranded, waiting for a flatbed, getting the car to a dealer or some shop, maybe my house, then getting the new tire (it may or may not be in stock so wait time) installed. Insane effort vs jack-up a car, change the tire and off I go. Done. I would be mobile again in 30min.

So help me understand, what do you do in a scenario like that? Keep your fingers crossed cause "statistically" scenario like that may not happen? What am I missing?

Side note, I hit a pothole about a month ago. RFT side was ripped badly, about an inch of missing layer of rubber. I turned around and drove back home about 50 miles with zero air in that tire. Two days later I got a new tire installed. Needles to say whatever plans I had that day were completely ruined.

Side note #2, I drive on 19 inch RFT Conti ProContact SSR (stock 540xi msport). I don't mind the noise or ride quality and they have not bubbled in 3 years. I drive in tri-sate area so roads are bad. I feel like RFT have improved vastly over the years.

Last edited by COBodom; 09-08-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #39
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
Side note #2, I drive on 19 inch RFT Conti ProContact SSR (stock 540xi msport). I don't mind the noise or ride quality and they have not bubbled in 3 years. I drive in tri-sate area so roads are bad. I feel like RFT have improved vastly over the years.
Those are the same tires on my LCI 540xi. 19" RFT ProContact GX SSR. That's good to know. How common are these tires across tire shops and dealers? I'm planning a midwest excursion next week and I'm getting a little worried by your post...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #40
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Those are the same tires on my LCI 540xi. 19" RFT ProContact GX SSR. That's good to know. How common are these tires across tire shops and dealers? I'm planning a midwest excursion next week and I'm getting a little worried by your post...
I got mine the next day from Tire Rack. Got it installed the following day. The two BMW dealers I called did not have the tire in stock plus the car was parked in my garage and even if they did they were too far for me to drive on that messed up tire. Check the pics below.

I didn't mean to worry you. I am pretty sure most here would tell you stuff like that statistically doesn't happen often (until it does).

Have a safe trip.
Attached Images

09-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #41
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I think RFT are awesome for short distance, back and forth daily driving. No immediate effort required in case of a flat vs putting the spare on by yourself by the roadside. You get a leak on the RFT, you drive back home\dealer, order a tire, get the tire replaced day(s) later.

Now, here's what I was never able to wrap my head around and it seems to me like a disaster waiting to happen. Say I go on a road trip, RFT gets punctured and I need a new tire. I am some 150 miles away from home and it's a Saturday 1am. Cannot turn around and drive back that far with no air even on a RFT. No, I cannot keep stopping every 5 miles trying to use compressor on the tire, the air is leaking badly. Its not something I can patch via some spray either. What are my choices now? Get a flat bed and get the car towed to BMW\my house that seems to be the only choice. Cancel the road trip, get a hotel and wait till the car is back on the road LOL

In my opinion this is beyond crazy. A simple tire puncture will turn into a mini, middle of the night project. I would end-up being stranded, waiting for a flatbed, getting the car to a dealer or some shop, maybe my house, then getting the new tire (it may or may not be in stock so wait time) installed. Insane effort vs jack-up a car, change the tire and off I go. Done. I would be mobile again in 30min.

So help me understand, what do you do in a scenario like that? Keep your fingers crossed cause "statistically" scenario like that may not happen? What am I missing?

Side note, I hit a pothole about a month ago. RFT side was ripped badly, about an inch of missing layer of rubber. I turned around and drove back home about 50 miles with zero air in that tire. Two days later I got a new tire installed. Needles to say whatever plans I had that day were completely ruined.

That situation is the same unless you have a full sized spare which is unavailable on the G30. You’re limited to ~50 miles in both cases with the RFT being more convenient in that you can keep going without any roadside delays.

If it were me I’d hotel up and get a tire swap in the AM. Not the option I’d love, but it is one of the risks of travel. I treat it similarly to any number of other realistic road hazards I can encounter... What if a truck kicks up a rock that badly wrecks my windshield? I am not going to drive another 5 hours unable to see the road...

If you are super worried traveling during the day greatly increases the chance a dealer or tire shop is nearby and open...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #42
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
That situation is the same unless you have a full sized spare which is unavailable on the G30. YouÂ’re limited to ~50 miles in both cases with the RFT being more convenient in that you can keep going without any roadside delays.

If it were me IÂ’d hotel up and get a tire swap in the AM. Not the option IÂ’d love, but it is one of the risks of travel. I treat it similarly to any number of other realistic road hazards I can encounter... What if a truck kicks up a rock that badly wrecks my windshield? I am not going to drive another 5 hours unable to see the road...

If you are super worried traveling during the day greatly increases the chance a dealer or tire shop is nearby and open...
Yes, if you go by the book recommended distance on a dount is between 50-70 miles. I have driven way more than 70 miles on a donut (below 50mph) and I was perfectly fine. Now, an RFT will definitely not go more than 50 miles and the car will pull hard to the side of the damaged tire (front). It basically feels like you're going to end up on a rim any minute while going 20mph tops with your emergency lights on. That is not how driving on a donut feels at all.

Now the hotel option, so you're assuming you will make an easy phone call in the am, the tire will be in stock and you will be back on the road in no time. That's very optimistic, but what if the tire is not in stock? What if its a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday? What are you gonna do then? Are you gonna order the tire, extend the hotel stay and ship it somewhere? Even if you get the tire you still need to get your car from wherever it's parked to the dealer or to some shop. I guess alternatively, you can call a flatbed and dump your car at some random BMW dealer parking lot, have the car sit there till you call that dealer in the am and explain why they have a random car on the lot and check if they have the tire you need. They may or may not.

I would rather take that 30min roadside delay and put a donut on my car rather than having to coordinate this logistical mess for something as trivial as a flat tire. Next day I would patch the damaged tire be it RTF or non-RTF and I would be fine. Yes, I patched RFTs before, not a side damage though.

You will more than likely be mobile if a rock hits your windshield. You wont be driving blind. There could be some spiderweb or a crack in your field of vision but your windshield will not shatter. These scenarios are not remotely comparable.

I get it. It sounds like I am making a doomsday scenario. Well it happened to me. I was lucky to be close to home. RFTs are fine if you drive to and from work in areas you know. A road trip? I am gonna pass.

Last edited by COBodom; 09-10-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #43
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, if you go by the book recommended distance on a dount is between 50-70 miles. I have driven way more than 70 miles on a donut (below 50mph) and I was perfectly fine. Now, an RFT will definitely not go more than 50 miles and the car will pull hard to the side of the damaged tire (front). It basically feels like you're going to end up on a rim any minute while going 20mph tops with your emergency lights on. That is not how driving on a donut feels at all.

Now the hotel option, so you're assuming you will make an easy phone call in the am, the tire will be in stock and you will be back on the road in no time. That's very optimistic, but what if the tire is not in stock? What if its a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday? What are you gonna do then? Are you gonna order the tire, extend the hotel stay and ship it somewhere? Even if you get the tire you still need to get your car from wherever it's parked to the dealer or to some shop. I guess alternatively, you can call a flatbed and dump your car at some random BMW dealer parking lot, have the car sit there till you call that dealer in the am and explain why they have a random car on the lot and check if they have the tire you need. They may or may not.

I would rather take that 30min roadside delay and put a donut on my car rather than having to coordinate this logistical mess for something as trivial as a flat tire. Next day I would patch the damaged tire be it RTF or non-RTF and I would be fine. Yes, I patched RFTs before, not a side damage though.

You will more than likely be mobile if a rock hits your windshield. You wont be driving blind. There could be some spiderweb or a crack in your field of vision but your windshield will not shatter. These scenarios are not remotely comparable.

I get it. It sounds like I am making a doomsday scenario. Well it happened to me. I was lucky to be close to home. RFTs are fine if you drive to and from work in areas you know. A road trip? I am gonna pass.
Oh it can happen. Windshields typically will crack and not be destroyed, but it can occur. And the dealer is less likely to have the windshield in stock than they are your tires.

From a logistics standpoint you can use BMW Roadside Assistance to deliver your car back home. I haven’t had to use this but the warranty book mentions it.

In the case you described I would fallback in a rental and get BMW Roadside to return the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #44
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
I get it. It sounds like I am making a doomsday scenario.
Happened to me, too. As did hitting a ladder and puncturing the radiator, oil cooler, and transmission cooler on my M4. There are multiple doomsday scenarios which require a flatbed. I traveled all over the US on a motorcycle....want to talk about potential doomsday scenarios? The point is, statistically they are unlikely, but you must be reasonable and plan for what might happen. A donut spare is of little help on a trip as well. What are you going to do with the filthy damaged tire and the expensive wheel amid all your luggage? Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I will not refrain from travel due to potential problems. Just sayin' . YMMV.
Appreciate 1