BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Reservations about installing Apple Carplay

11-27-2023, 03:33 AM   #1
DAVE1971
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Reservations about installing Apple Carplay

Hi everyone, i'm a new user to the forum here.

I'm very interested in getting Carplay installed via a 3rd party ie not the Connected Drive store. I have seen loads of people offering the service, however i'm a little hesitant in case it all goes wrong!

I had a free trial via BMW a few years ago and then didn't take them up on the offer. Since then, I now have NBT Evo Q (it was earlier than that originally, however, after a BMW map update a couple of years ago it changed to 'Q') so i understand full screen should be available. What is the risk of bricking the head unit/ ECU? Could it have any issues going forward with newer versions of Carplay?

I really want to have it installed but as my post suggests, am very cautious.

Many thanks

Last edited by DAVE1971; 11-27-2023 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Its possible to activate carplay. Just make sure you restore the unit to OEM state before visit to dealer. Carplay will work like OEM, for newer version of carplay will most likely be from the phone upgrades. For NBT updates this will wipe the carplay patch but you can reactivate it again. If interested i can activate it for you, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 04:01 PM   #3
DAVE1971
Registered
Rep

Hi TheNine90

Thanks for the offer however someone local to me will possibly be doing the installation.

Do you think there is any risk in coding CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
tybo1979
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw m3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE1971 View Post
Hi everyone, i'm a new user to the forum here.

I'm very interested in getting Carplay installed via a 3rd party ie not the Connected Drive store. I have seen loads of people offering the service, however i'm a little hesitant in case it all goes wrong!

I had a free trial via BMW a few years ago and then didn't take them up on the offer. Since then, I now have NBT Evo Q (it was earlier than that originally, however, after a BMW map update a couple of years ago it changed to 'Q') so i understand full screen should be available. What is the risk of bricking the head unit/ ECU? Could it have any issues going forward with newer versions of Carplay?

I really want to have it installed but as my post suggests, am very cautious.

Many thanks
how can you tell what is needed to install car play 2018 m550i
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:50 AM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE1971 View Post
Hi TheNine90

Thanks for the offer however someone local to me will possibly be doing the installation.

Do you think there is any risk in coding CarPlay?
Just make sure you dont take car to dealer with carplay patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybo1979 View Post
how can you tell what is needed to install car play 2018 m550i
First check which map version you have to know if carplay full screen is compatible. Anything above NBTEvo_N is good. Depending on cars configuration you might need WiFi antennae.
You will need ENET cable and windows laptop to activate carplay.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #6
DAVE1971
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the response TheNine90 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 06:56 AM   #7
Jeff89
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Morning,
Also new to the forum and I too was a little sceptical about the CarPlay activation. I ended up needing a WiFi antenna so took the dash apart, following a YouTube video. Got the activation code via eBay, plugged my laptop in and 5 minutes later, all was working. Cost me £50 altogether. Defo worth it.
I too would second the removal if taking to dealers as I've heard if they overwrite without you restoring it can cause issues with the stock nav system. If you are activating via 3rd party code and using feature installer, it's an easy 'backwards' process to reset to factory when you need to. Then can reactivate at your leisure.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

I had it installed/activated from a supplier on here & when I brought the car back to the dealer for a recall they told me that if they went ahead, the head unit would probably end up corrupted. They gave me the choice to go ahead but I didn't. They priced a new head unit at €1,600 with an 18 mth lead-time.
Appreciate 0