BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Android Auto alternative for ID6

10-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Android Auto alternative for ID6

Many like me who own a G30 with ID6 do not have the luxury of Android Auto. I'm a die hard Android user so switching to an iPhone is a no go. I didn't want to deal with a MMI so here is my method. I bought a used iPhone for the sole purpose of Carplay usage and nothing else. I have the iPhone connected as Carplay, I have my Samsung phone connected as a secondary phone so calls and whatnot still come through. Since the iPhone is not on a network it needs data for Spotify and Google maps for example to work. You cannot hotspot the iPhone since WiFi on the iPhone is used by Carplay. The work around is as follows. I use a lighting to Ethernet adapter on the iPhone, I also use a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge. The bridge connects to iPhone via Ethernet. Vonets is the adapter I'm using. Vonets picks up the hotspot from my Android phone and sends it to the iPhone. Works great. On my Samsung I've set up a routine to automatically turn on hotspot when connected to the idrive. For me at least this solution works great, I get Google maps and Spotify which is my main goal. I'll probably jailbreak the iPhone and enable other apps through Carplay. All this fits in the arm rest area and powered with the cigarette lighter connector. Initial setup took some effort but once you are done it works quickly when you get in the car.
      10-03-2023, 04:48 AM   #2
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Oh this sounds interesting. I'm an Android fanboy since the start but gave in and bought an iphone 7 just for the car play but have it within its own sim plan.. it would be nice to be able to get rid of that 2nd sim since it's only used as the "car phone"
      10-03-2023, 06:44 AM   #3
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Oh this sounds interesting. I'm an Android fanboy since the start but gave in and bought an iphone 7 just for the car play but have it within its own sim plan.. it would be nice to be able to get rid of that 2nd sim since it's only used as the "car phone"
I wanted to avoid having to pay for an additional sim figured I will just hotspot. But the iPhone cannot pick up the hotspot directly due to Carplay, therefore the workaround with a bridge and wired connection.
      10-03-2023, 08:28 AM   #4
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
I wanted to avoid having to pay for an additional sim figured I will just hotspot. But the iPhone cannot pick up the hotspot directly due to Carplay, therefore the workaround with a bridge and wired connection.
Can you provide more info on the ethernet bridge device you used? I think i remember doing similar with an old AUDI a7 years ago with a TP link bridge device, which i might still have lying around
      10-03-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

I used a Vonets WiFi to Ethernet bridge.

Vonets VAP11G-500S Industrial 2.4GHz Mini WiFi Bridge/Wireless Repeater/Router/Ethernet to WiFi Adapter for Industrial Application, PLC, Printer, Medical, Network Equipment https://a.co/d/4btWNBK
      10-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Just as an FYI, I ordered from Aliexpress a BMW specific MMB box. Now all the ones available do not support WiFi, only sim for data. I am going to be experimenting once I receive it and see if I can utilize this MMB device for Android Auto. Since the WiFi network card will be occupied connecting the device to BMW CarPlay, I will utilize the same idea as above, WiFi bridge to Ethernet and plug that into the MMB so it can receive data. I will play with a few options, P2P direct Wifi and hotspot and see what works best. I am trying to avoid having to hotspot to the device, the MMB does not need data really, when you connect to Android Auto it should get the data via AA protocol which is BT and WiFi. If the MMB does not have a AA head unit setup I will download an Android app called Head Unit Reloaded which will turn an Android device into AA head unit. I have already tried and confirmed this app works on an Android tablet. Stay tuned.....
      10-13-2023, 06:21 AM   #7
JosephGreen
Registered
Rep
Drives: M550i

Any update? Your creative solution for integrating Android and Carplay in your G30 is quite impressive! It's frustrating when car systems limit options, but your workaround is resourceful. If you're looking for a great dissertation service, go no further than https://www.topessaywriting.org/buy-dissertation. I had a wonderful experience with their services and would strongly suggest them to anyone in need of expert dissertation aid. Their staff of expert writers ensures that every dissertation is of the highest quality and meticulously researched. The process is simple, and connecting with the writers is easy, so you receive exactly what you need.

Last edited by JosephGreen; 10-20-2023 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 06:23 AM   #8
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephGreen View Post
Any update?
I should be receiving the BMW MMB later today. I will report my findings and what I can implement.
      10-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #9
Raslin777
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

I have the BMW MMB. The reason why you cannot use Wi-Fi with the MMB is because CARPLAY pairs with Bluetooth then data transfers over WIFI direct(transparent to the user) for CARPLAY(usb transfer does not work on our cars). I highly doubt you can get a workaround going, this is why you need a SIM and cannot use your phone as a hotspot. Also the g30 does not support USB CARPLAY only Wifi. I contacted them directly to discuss it and they plan to release a new hardware version to address this. This is also why there are very limited devices that support bmw for this reason.

Issues with the device I have come across:
1) No 5g support and when the device goes into 2g or 3g seems to get stuck there. I disabled these and only allow 4gLTE(android settings). I would rather lose internet for 3 seconds because everything is buffered anyway rather than the alternative.
2) The MMB antenna for reception is terrible, I put my device in the center console and there is a usb port in there but when I use it I get no service on the MMB. I use a 12v adapter to usb in there and do not have reception issues now.
3) There is lag between the Video and Audio(watching movies or tv). Its not too bad imo but its def there. Just have to deal with it. No workaround.
4) Pairing can be hit or miss at times. But mostly works ok.

Overall I like the device and its easy enough to throw in the center console. I would buy it again and the SIM is 20$ from tmobile. Not too bad imo.

Also if anyone has this device and wants to disable the 2g and 3g. You need to get to the android dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* this will open a new menu where you can select the networks to operate on.

Last edited by Raslin777; 10-13-2023 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: disable the 2g and 3g steps
Appreciate 2
akataka23.00
Sam_M550i260.00
      10-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #10
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raslin777 View Post
I have the BMW MMB. The reason why you cannot use Wi-Fi with the MMB is because CARPLAY pairs with Bluetooth then data transfers over WIFI direct(transparent to the user) for CARPLAY(usb transfer does not work on our cars). I highly doubt you can get a workaround going, this is why you need a SIM and cannot use your phone as a hotspot. Also the g30 does not support USB CARPLAY only Wifi. I contacted them directly to discuss it and they plan to release a new hardware version to address this. This is also why there are very limited devices that support bmw for this reason.

Issues with the device I have come across:
1) No 5g support and when the device goes into 2g or 3g seems to get stuck there. I disabled these and only allow 4gLTE(android settings). I would rather lose internet for 3 seconds because everything is buffered anyway rather than the alternative.
2) The MMB antenna for reception is terrible, I put my device in the center console and there is a usb port in there but when I use it I get no service on the MMB. I use a 12v adapter to usb in there and do not have reception issues now.
3) There is lag between the Video and Audio(watching movies or tv). Its not too bad imo but its def there. Just have to deal with it. No workaround.
4) Pairing can be hit or miss at times. But mostly works ok.

Overall I like the device and its easy enough to throw in the center console. I would buy it again and the SIM is 20$ from tmobile. Not too bad imo.

Also if anyone has this device and wants to disable the 2g and 3g. You need to get to the android dialer and dial [...]
I plan to use a Wi-Fi bridge for data so ce Wi-Fi occupied. Bridge to USB-C into the MMB. I will report my findings.
      10-14-2023, 11:52 AM   #11
Raslin777
Rep

Quote:
I plan to use a Wi-Fi bridge for data so ce Wi-Fi occupied. Bridge to USB-C into the MMB. I will report my findings.
Tried the y connector for USB C. Didn't work for me but hope it works for you. Might have been the connector I was using.

FYI here are some of the messages to the seller and parent company.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raslin777; 10-14-2023 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 02:12 PM   #12
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

So I am unable to get the data to work via Ethernet to USB-C connection. Device looking for a sim. There is an engineering menu I want to access but don't know the password. Maybe in there there may be a setting for how the device receives data? I don't know the password so sort of stuck.
      10-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #13
Raslin777
Rep

Quote:
So I am unable to get the data to work via Ethernet to USB-C connection. Device looking for a sim. There is an engineering menu I want to access but don't know the password. Maybe in there there may be a setting for how the device receives data? I don't know the password so sort of stuck.
If you download shortcut maker from the store you can get into almost any app and most menus. I have tried to enabled the wifi but it just gives a error. I have downloaded a few of the apks and decoded/debugged them(ida). Didn't find anything relevant.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 03:05 PM   #14
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll have to put a sim i guess to get data to download that to try and then remove sim
      10-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #15
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

So I am not seeing an Ethernet connection on the android settings which is bizarre. That setting is there anytime an Ethernet connection is made.
      10-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #16
Raslin777
Rep

Quote:
So I am not seeing an Ethernet connection on the android settings which is bizarre. That setting is there anytime an Ethernet connection is made.
I think they redesigned the libraries used for the wifi to work for the apple carplay(in this case it would not work as expected by the os). Unless your referring to a additional adapter plugged into the y connector, I could not get it to see the adapter either.

One thing I did not try was developer options and see if it could change it from charge only to USB. Also remember when modifying these settings if you remove the ability to cast to the bmw your SOL. No way to recover. The reset button only restarts, it does not allow to reset the OS and the restore via PC is a pain the ass.

Last edited by Raslin777; 10-14-2023 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:05 PM   #17
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think they redesigned the libraries used for the wifi to work for the apple carplay(in this case it would not work as expected by the os). Unless your referring to a additional adapter plugged into the y connector, I could not get it to see the adapter either.

One thing I did not try was developer options and see if it could change it from charge only to USB. Also remember when modifying these settings if you remove the ability to cast to the bmw your SOL. No way to recover. The reset button only restarts, it does not allow to reset the OS and the restore via PC is a pain the ass.
I enabled developer options but didn't find anything related. I can revisit. I really want to find a way to get the unit to get data via USB... Wonder if there is any apk out there that can be installed to accomplish this. Dont understand why the manufacturer didn't overcome this issue by having a dual network card built in.
      10-14-2023, 10:25 PM   #18
Raslin777
Rep

Quote:
I enabled developer options but didn't find anything related. I can revisit. I really want to find a way to get the unit to get data via USB... Wonder if there is any apk out there that can be installed to accomplish this. Dont understand why the manufacturer didn't overcome this issue by having a dual network card built in.
I agree, completely frustrated me because the USB C adapter would have been the way to go. This is why they offered me a free new device when they make a new one. I know for a fact that other cars and even older bmw's can use USB to preform the apple car play. If we can code that back in we could use many android carplay devices not just the bmw specific ones. FYI I don't have apple to test coding the USB even if it is possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:34 PM   #19
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree, completely frustrated me because the USB C adapter would have been the way to go. This is why they offered me a free new device when they make a new one. I know for a fact that other cars and even older bmw's can use USB to preform the apple car play. If we can code that back in we could use many android carplay devices not just the bmw specific ones. FYI I don't have apple to test coding the USB even if it is possible.
Curious what's in the engineering secret menu of this MMB I bought... Seller hasn't replied since I asked for password. This isn't a setting you can reach with shortcut maker, it's embedded within the launcher that's running on the MMB.
      10-14-2023, 10:48 PM   #20
Raslin777
Rep

Quote:
Curious what's in the engineering secret menu of this MMB I bought... Seller hasn't replied since I asked for password. This isn't a setting you can reach with shortcut maker, it's embedded within the launcher that's running on the MMB.
Tried to decode the apk but didn't get anywhere, might be in a lib. Didn't spend too much time on it because I didnt think it would get me anywhere. When I get a chance I'm going to try to enable the USB for carplay. Also, Joyauto is the maker of the device, they would have the code. I also saw some codes on other forums but they didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:25 PM   #21
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

So I am stuck. It seems no workaround I try works. I tried to go into developer options but when I try to change USB settings nothing happens. I cannot seem to figure out how to enable ethernet options under connections. Head Unit Reloaded requires the device to have wifi so that wont work. I tried downloading ZLink and that app isn't working. I am sure this is doable with further research or knowledge. I believe the device can receive data over USB-C using a wifi to ethernet into USB-C I just need to understand if something is disabled in the Android OS or what. I do not think additional HW is required for this idea. Will continue to look into this. The best solution would be for these manufacturers to develop a MMB with dual network cards. WiFi for CarPlay to BMW connection and a secondary WiFi for hospot.
      10-17-2023, 06:26 AM   #22
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Any luck with changing USB configuration in developer options?