BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Run Flat Tire issues! Durability!!!

10-03-2023, 09:34 PM   #1
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Run Flat Tire issues! Durability!!!

I am new to BMW and thus far It is not a great start. My 23 530 had a flat on it's 19 inch RF tire (pro contact GX). I was on a dirt road. The tire shop said there was a small amount of damage (Barely visible) to the tire near the rim. Would me driving a dirt road with an occasional cattle guard (bump) have ruined a tire? Discount Tire says it needs to be replaced (At my cost). Has anyone had durability issues? I only have 5K on the tires so can replace one, but was quoted $360 for 1 tire without mounting. OMG. Should I pay the extra to have BMW mount it since I heard balancing was tricky on these cars, even from the factory some have complained. I am going to switch to Non RF, but I don't think anyone would buy my other 3 new tires versus 4 if I replace the bad one? Thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:42 PM   #2
Bsm550
Private
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Those tires new go for money you can snag a great deal lightly used on forums 1/3 the price ii got a set on this forum for 400 bucks a reputable tire place can do the work no need to go thru bmw
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:22 AM   #3
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

It is difficult to say if the rfts could be damaged from dirt road. My experience is that the other day I ran into a pothole which resulted in damaged rim, but there was no damage to the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 11:08 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
It is difficult to say if the rfts could be damaged from dirt road. My experience is that the other day I ran into a pothole which resulted in damaged rim, but there was no damage to the tyre.
My stock Michelin ROF's did just fine on about 100 miles (maybe more) of Forest Service roads and probably 45 miles of a dirt road. No, it wasn't intentional. It was operator error in selecting the shortest route vs the fastest route.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #5
allanbrown93
Rep
Drives: bmw

the run flat tires sucks i had 2 tire replaced and 3 get bubbles from potholes in my city. never had this issue with any other tires. just speaking for my self.
Appreciate 0