BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Does 20-30mm drop really require alignment?

11-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Does 20-30mm drop really require alignment?

I realize the technically correct answer is yes, but I'm looking for a practically correct answer.

Suppose in the winter I run stock height to manage smaller snow falls, and in the summer I drop it 20-30 mm. I'm wondering if the alignment can be set up such that it's at the upper limit for winter, and the lower limit for summer. (...or vise versa, whichever applies). This way I don't have to get an alignment every 6 months.

In the past, I've run as much as 45 mm drop on a Mini Countryman (for which I eyeballed with the use of an angle finder for the front camber but got no other alignment) and an E90 335i. For both of these, they sat at about 10-15mm drop at max height. I went through a set of tires about every 2 years, this way. To me, that seems about right with my mildly spirited driving style.

Anyway, now, as I'm typing this out, it seems I should be able to get the alignment done at summer setting, and it will probably be fine during the winter, when I lift it back up a bit. Theoretically, winter time should be a little easier on tread wear, since the rubber will be touch stiffer. ....I mean, right? lol
Appreciate 0