BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos So I went and got me a TESLA PLAID! Wow!!

12-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #89
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Here is how he ends it…

Dialogue
I expected a launch-control start in this power-crazed Tesla to blow my synapses (it did). I didn't expect what it was like the rest of the time. A stab of the accelerator at 20 mph or 100 mph—it didn't matter—caused it to blast off with such instant, cartoon-like, reality-bending ferocity that my neck muscles strained mightily to keep my head level. Whoa! I wish I could give every EV hater a ride in this thing. Its ability to blow minds might also change a few. —Rich Ceppos

My 2 cents: will the pros outweigh the cons? For some yes, for some no…that is how it goes. No big deal.
Interesting take away.....

I feel the author was less than enthusiastic about the actual car and its abilities from this....

"Another reason to fear a 200-mph speed is brakes that got soft during our testing. Although our braking regimen isn't nearly as severe as what a racetrack demands, a warning message reporting the brakes' demise popped up on the dash. Between the flappability at high speeds and the iffy brakes, our helmets are way off to former FIA GT racing driver Andreas Simonsen, who piloted the Plaid to what must have been a harrowing 7:35 Nürburgring lap."

"But, trust us, you don't want to do 200 mph in this car. Even 162 mph was terrifying, wandering and nervous to the point that we were concerned about our ability to shepherd it between lane lines. The steering doesn't firm up enough with speed, making the task more difficult."

I had a buddy that made a big block 572 with a 871 blower on it powered golf cart. Motor was capable of over 1k hp raw. He went to race it in the 1/4 mile at Hennessy racing track in Seally, TX and John Hennessy shot it down due to risks.

Just because you can go fast, doesn't mean you should if the equipment isn't right.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:43 AM   #90
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Quote:
Here is how he ends it…

Dialogue
I expected a launch-control start in this power-crazed Tesla to blow my synapses (it did). I didn't expect what it was like the rest of the time. A stab of the accelerator at 20 mph or 100 mph—it didn't matter—caused it to blast off with such instant, cartoon-like, reality-bending ferocity that my neck muscles strained mightily to keep my head level. Whoa! I wish I could give every EV hater a ride in this thing. Its ability to blow minds might also change a few. —Rich Ceppos

My 2 cents: will the pros outweigh the cons? For some yes, for some no…that is how it goes. No big deal.
Interesting take away.....

I feel the author was less than enthusiastic about the actual car and its abilities from this....

"Another reason to fear a 200-mph speed is brakes that got soft during our testing. Although our braking regimen isn't nearly as severe as what a racetrack demands, a warning message reporting the brakes' demise popped up on the dash. Between the flappability at high speeds and the iffy brakes, our helmets are way off to former FIA GT racing driver Andreas Simonsen, who piloted the Plaid to what must have been a harrowing 7:35 Nürburgring lap."

"But, trust us, you don't want to do 200 mph in this car. Even 162 mph was terrifying, wandering and nervous to the point that we were concerned about our ability to shepherd it between lane lines. The steering doesn't firm up enough with speed, making the task more difficult."

I had a buddy that made a big block 572 with a 871 blower on it powered golf cart. Motor was capable of over 1k hp raw. He went to race it in the 1/4 mile at Hennessy racing track in Seally, TX and John Hennessy shot it down due to risks.

Just because you can go fast, doesn't mean you should if the equipment isn't right.
There is a carbon ceramic brake upgrade one can buy for tracking. I believe it is what was used for the Pike Peak Hill run. I guess we have two sides here - the glass is half full or the glass is half empty side. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #91
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

There's more to greatness than quickness
Here is how he ends it…

Dialogue

I rest my case!
It's just that!! You have to feel it before you say a word! It's unearthly the G forces are just unreal! 1.3 @ 28 and averaging 1.15 from zero to 60mph!! It's addictive! It's like I want this car but rather I need that car to be in my garage and yes I miss the drama abs better braking feel because the do the job rather well, but not confidence inspiring! But overall I will say the most well rounded sedan in the world! PERIOD and I had it for more than a month now!

My 2 cents abs from someone who adores BMW
Appreciate 0