BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos So I went and got me a TESLA PLAID! Wow!!

12-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #45
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Haters gonna hate - out of jealousy or ignorance (or low funds lol) Enjoy that rocket ship to the fullest !
Thank you
You're so kind
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #46
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Haters gonna hate - out of jealousy or ignorance (or low funds lol) Enjoy that rocket ship to the fullest !
Considering you posted that 1 minute after my analysis, not sure if you were aiming that at me? If so, I thought I proved I did my research ("ignorance"), and also already own cars already that are significantly more expensive than the Plaid (addressing low funds/jealousy).

Tesla has a very loyal fan base that do not question them, and whenever a weakness is shown, the person is branded a "jealous hater". The artificial halo they try to create is crazy. They don't let you test drive a plaid. Or get near one. The last car I test drove (me driving, myself, about 2 months ago) was a McLaren Elva - that's $1.7 million starting. Before that, a Ferrari F8 Tributo ($400K), the latter which they gave me the keys and I drove for a couple hours without them. Tesla? I have a whole text conversation with them saying how they never test drive them and want you to just buy it. The rep at the dealership said that he recommended I buy it then sell it if I don't like it. They had a new Model S at the dealer - literally only employees were allowed near it - the salesperson took me around the forecourt to get as close as possible to see it. The salesperson himself had only been in a plaid because one of his customers let him! Insane.

Oh, and they had about 12 plaids in stock ready to pick up right now. In a shortage. Hmmm.

I am going to rent one though. Near me Turo have 4 available for rent right now. So maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have some regular stomping grounds around here that should put it through it's paces, so I'll give it a fair go.

Either way, I sincerely hope the OP is happy with it!

Thanks!

S.
What a great post!
I like to be challenged and make no mistake I love ///M cars to pieces! It's just that thing about being the most high tech car and fastest sedan on the road (Not track),,,ind you the future be it fortunately or unfortunately lol, to some it's the bleak mute "Quite Place" movie type of car hahahaha, but to many and I am one of them is a step forward, a much needed REVOLUTIONARY step!

Not all takes on Electric Cars will be a Tesla flavor!
Read about the Rimac Nevera 2.4 million dollars 1.85 sec and what a sports car! Controls every single wheel with its own motors!

Folks!!
Like it or not you're witnessing and to some of y'all, savoring the last few years of gas powered cars! And heck I don't blame anyone for squeezing that last drop of dinosaurs fossil fuel out of their exhilarating sweet sounding, heart pounding, pulse throbbing, nerve racking, ear deafening, air polluting , thunder invoking!

soooma
Owner of yet another SILENT SUPER & HYPER-CAR KILLER dubbed PLAID!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #47
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Hahaha
Apparently sound isn't that lol
It's the acceleration.

It's a girl that likes to screw all the time but can't carry on a conversation. Best part about the Tesla is that you don't have to marry it, so screw it for a while, then find the right one to marry....and I'll bet she'll sound good...

Hilarious
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #48
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Only 2 4 door sedans of any kind have been faster around the Nurburgring according to Motor Trend. Not sure if the other two were unmodified like the Tesla.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...elon-musk/amp/

In modified form it is even more impressive

Anyway, all that matters is what the owner thinks of the experience. In this case we have the OP that owns an M8 and a 911. Probably would know of it has bad brakes etc.
Flat out wrong. I just picked one, the Alfa, and immediately found an official video from Alfa Romeo documenting the lap at 7:32 (Tesla did 7:35):

Tesla is such a showman. He posts two times on his Twitter (7:30 and 7:35) with absolutely no explanation. Many articles (including that one you posted which had to include a correction at the top) thought the 7:30 was the lap record because you know, lower number, but turns out the 7:30 was not a full lap (it eliminates a section of the track so is shorter). Another article analyzing this more dispassionately:

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/is-te...rd-legitimate/

I quote from that article:

"OBSERVATION 3: 7m35s on a Nordschleife that is unarguably faster than ever before isn't particularly amazing for a 1000-hp car. It's just ahead of the 2.0-litre hatchbacks and 2-ton SUVs, but significantly behind the 600hp 4-door saloons and a country-mile behind the 'proper' sportscars."

Stock cars that are only 600HP ish (like the Alfa) easily beat the Tesla for half the price.

Again, the Tesla is amazingly fast in a straight line if you want to stop once, but it's a party trick. I almost put a deposit down for the Tesla Roadster hoping it would be a real performance car but knew he would never deliver it on time (he hasn't). Speaking of which, when the plaid set that time, Elon promised a track mode within a few weeks. And of course that was nearly 3 months ago and he has again failed to deliver on time.

He also suggested that tuners make it better (like adding carbon ceramics and aero) to make it actually fast on the 'Ring - classic Elon Musk.

Thanks!

S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times

The Alfa is indeed impressive. Not only is is ahead of the Tesla Plaid, but it is also ahead of the M5 Competition. The Plaid is ahead of the M5 as well.

With new ceramic brakes and the upcoming track mode on the Plaid, I am assuming it would get even faster. Plus you can add more track ready tires in there.
Your Positive attitude is appreciated
It's not that bleak!!
Guys you need to be behind that "Wheel" or under the yoke whatever to judge for yourselves! Any real sports car lover will love this car for what it is, granted will miss hearing and sounds! But heavy what you lose in that department! You gain way more in many other departments of amenities! 2 trunks! Not ever going to a gas station! Saving on gas if compared to anything close from AMG fully loaded or ///M8 gran coupe (Bimmer looks a lot nicer)! Read about the dashcam and SENTRY mode! Etc trust me you'll get many things you don't get in any other car! You can watch a whole HBOMax or Netflix movie while waiting for your kids and can even car pool other children in it! It can be so docile to the point that no one will ever what's under the hood (Nothing? !! Not shabby for a car that's AWD without an engine! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #49
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Congrats OP on the new Tesla, enjoy it! I actually really liked a lot of things about the Plaid when I test drove one last week. That being said I just can't do the yoke. If they gave it a proper steering wheel I'd definitely consider one. How are you finding the yoke so far? I assume you've gotten use to it, but if you could have a normal wheel would you take it over the yoke?
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #50
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I'm confused on their production turn around. I placed my order originally back in April for the Plaid plus. They then nixed the plus and kicked the price from $130ks to my out the door price fully specd autopilot and all at $127k. I was on the fence about finishing the order even with the deposit and all. We'll a week ago I went ahead and confirmed everything to move process along since I plan on flipping it being the same spec with 21s autopilot and all is now $150k and I can sell it for $160k easily here in Houston.

I received my Vin not even a week after confirming and it's already at railyard per the Tesla service store that looked up the Vin for me.

Seems to me that there are alot of cars already built and are pending Reservation response similar to mine that the inventory issue is partially consumer stall driven. This also is hinted being Elon told their team to let buyers with reservations to basically shit or get off the pot. I never got the email, but seeing what I could flip it for was my interest.

Even the Tesla rep said they'd do the exact same thing.

Tells me all I need to know.

Last edited by Bimmersandmopars; 12-05-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #51
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I suppose Tesla is just making up their sales numbers or demand for their cars. Or they could be better at managing their supply chain…

https://www.barrons.com/amp/articles...ge-51633353718

As they say, haters gonna be haters. Even rich ones. LOL.
I'm saying Tesla have a lot of Plaid's in stock. That's all. I didn't say they lied about numbers. I didn't say they aren't selling (because I haven't researched their production/sales numbers). I just was shocked that they were not sold out - and I'm assuming Tesla are pretty surprised too.

It's hard to have a discussion when ad hominem arguments are made. So that being said I will leave this discussion here. Again, congrats on the purchase to the OP!

Thanks!

S.
What exactly is your point? That Tesla didn't make a perfect car? That demand is low for the Plaid? Low compared to what other car did you have in mind?

Can you list the 4 door sedans that are ranked above the Plaid? Would be good to know…

You do know Tesla now has better brakes and with a software update should have max speed increased to 200MPH.

It's like you are attacking the OP for saying he thinks the Plaid is great! Also, all Elon did was to post his ticket and I posted why there are 2 numbers. Also, I don't agree with a lot of stuff Elon Musk says…

Looks like you have an axe to grind against the Plaid. Why can't you just appreciate that the OP likes his Plaid?

Their website shows no Plaids in Inventory. As far as I know Tesla doesn't have regular dealers with stock on their lots. Where are you seeing this inventory? You can order one and get it in Dec vs waiting for mid 2022 for other models/versions.
I second that!
I got lucky with mine!
The original owner was stuck out of the country and had to pass on it, and there was a hiatus in which I was able to jump on it, otherwise I would have not been in one that fast AHEM PLAID because I am not that type of buyer! I buy on an impulse abs can't wait Eons or Elons for any given car! Even if is the mighty PLAID! So either Tesla got lucky or I did!

I actually found it in our local Tesla dealership in Charlotte NC! And I am sure it had no test drives at all as it had 6 miles in the odometer!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #52
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

The back story of why it's called Plaid is entertaining thanks to Spaceballs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mx_bxKnBKCr8SD
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #53
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Not sure if you were here, but we proved on this page that carbon ceramic brakes are worthless.
Wait, in general or on the Plaid? Because I have CCB on some cars and steel on others and I can guarantee you that CCB is better in every circumstance. On track it has the ultimate fade resistance - CCB's don't shorten stopping distance on one stop vs one stop on steel, but it definitely does on endurance (lap after lap).

As for street, it has virtually zero wear and zero brake dust. So you essentially never have to change your brakes if you don't track.

Also, not sure if you've picked up a CCB rotor but it's so lightweight it feels like it's fake! So the unsprung weight is significantly reduced. Consider that the average weight saving would be about 40-50 lbs in total unsprung weight. That equates to losing 80-100 lbs of "sprung" weight from a handling perspective! That's huge, and good for both street and track use. In fact not sure why Tesla didn't fit CCB standard on the Plaid for the weight savings alone (an important factor in an electric car).

The only downside is cost for a track car (as replacement rotors are expensive and they will wear with track duty), but on a street car, over its lifetime, it's pretty good for cost as they have minimal wear on the pads and none on the rotors (typically lasting 100,000+ miles).

Also, I've heard the whole "Porsche Cup race cars use steel so steel must be better" argument - but that's not true either. The reason amateur race series require steel brakes is to equalize the teams. If not the "rich" teams would all run CCB's and dominate the series because they just don't care what it costs, which would disadvantage the financially challenged teams.

Lastly, Elon Musk himself mentioned CCB's as being required for a fast Ring lap. This is because the driver who drove the Plaid had to back off on some straights, which has been presumed to give the inadequate brakes time to cool down. The brakes work perfectly on the street, but the Plaid was not designed for the track and hence would need CCB's to not fade.

Thanks!

S.
I agree PLAID wasn't designed with track in mind!
Period!
Regardless how you slice it!
You can toy with it on track! But tracking it frequently can be "Insane" and might take you to your life's "PLAID"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #54
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
people in online forums never cease to amaze me. Personal opinions of Tesla aside, congrats to the OP, glad you're enjoying your car!
Finally hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #55
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Congrats OP on the new Tesla, enjoy it! I actually really liked a lot of things about the Plaid when I test drove one last week. That being said I just can't do the yoke. If they gave it a proper steering wheel I'd definitely consider one. How are you finding the yoke so far? I assume you've gotten use to it, but if you could have a normal wheel would you take it over the yoke?
It will take some getting used to!
Not bothered by the lack of circle but the poor application of capacitive buttons that you inherently unless very consciously "steering" which shouldn't be the case because the whole driving thing was, is and should remain subconsciously done! Talk "Autopilot"!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #56
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is your point? That Tesla didn't make a perfect car? That demand is low for the Plaid? Low compared to what other car did you have in mind?

Can you list the 4 door sedans that are ranked above the Plaid? Would be good to know…

You do know Tesla now has better brakes and with a software update should have max speed increased to 200MPH.

It's like you are attacking the OP for saying he thinks the Plaid is great! Also, all Elon did was to post his ticket and I posted why there are 2 numbers. Also, I don't agree with a lot of stuff Elon Musk says…

Looks like you have an axe to grind against the Plaid. Why can't you just appreciate that the OP likes his Plaid?

Their website shows no Plaids in Inventory. As far as I know Tesla doesn't have regular dealers with stock on their lots. Where are you seeing this inventory? You can order one and get it in Dec vs waiting for mid 2022 for other models/versions.
I walked in to the dealer in Sunnyvale, CA 4 days ago and asked them. They said the website does not show inventory by Tesla mandate and they pulled up their actual inventory and showed me the list. They have them all in a local warehouse. I'm not going to say this is Tesla trickery to make it look like they are sold out, but think about the date.. they literally have them for December delivery and there is no way they are building them in a day, so they have them. That's why if you choose a color they don't have the date pushes out to mid next year, but they have a lot of stock. Just call one of their dealers and say you want to buy one - depending on where you live you could get it same day.

List of cars faster than the Plaid? Here's a quick list:

Alfa Giulia QV (7:32)
Porsche Panamera Turbo (7:29)
Merc AMG GT63S (7:23)
BMW M5 Comp (7:35 - technically tied and the plaid was a fraction quicker, but within statistical error)
Jaguar XE SV P8 (7:23)

Note also that all the articles pull from the Nurburgring.de official site which has a very small number of cars on it (ie only official runs generally sanctioned by manufacturers). The fastest-lap website shows many many more, though I concede I don't know if they are modified - however if a Panamera Turbo S stock car can do it in 7:29, I think there are many unofficial stock times that are believably quicker than the Panamera.

Lastly, I am not attacking the op so stop saying that. I am happy for him, and I wish him the best - but this is a discussion forum not a billboard so posting here should have an expectation of *discussion*.

Thanks,

S.
Thanks for detailed reply!
Y'all are amazing and entertains on both sides of the aisle really
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #57
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I grant it’s very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I’d like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that’s perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don’t get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it’s no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it’s the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don’t mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
I've said this since day one..... anyone that has never had an 11sec car has no business driving a 9 second one. I think its a great Niche vehicle, just too fucking dangerous for the average consumer. Then there's this thread which went overseen by many.

The car literally starts to loose control and lock up on its own accord.

Going fast is fun when you're in control..... not a computer which is what a Tesla is. One big computer on wheels with a driver behind the wheel as a formality.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Plaid

Last edited by Bimmersandmopars; 12-05-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      12-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #58
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Guys you need to be behind that "Wheel" or under the yoke whatever to judge for yourselves! Any real sports car lover will love this car for what it is, granted will miss hearing and sounds! But hey what you lose in that department, you gain way more in many other departments.
Hold on there trigger, Sports Cars are a whole different thing. I wouldn't trade my Exige driving experience for a Tesla model anything, and never will. Some things you just can't fake.

Having said that, I'd love to have a Plaid for other uses.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #59
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Guys you need to be behind that "Wheel" or under the yoke whatever to judge for yourselves! Any real sports car lover will love this car for what it is, granted will miss hearing and sounds! But hey what you lose in that department, you gain way more in many other departments.
Hold on there trigger, Sports Cars are a whole different thing. I wouldn't trade my Exige driving experience for a Tesla model anything, and never will. Some things you just can't fake.

Having said that, I'd love to have a Plaid for other uses.
You will sooner than you think, like to or not
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #60
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
You will sooner than you think, like to or not
You don't know your history.

American's worship the past, not the future, and to that end the entire country is a collection of things of the PAST, not the future, and will continue to be so. Majority rules.

My Exige will leave in 19 years when I'm 70, it's part of my retirement. Until that time I'll thoroughly enjoy it and watch it appreciate every single year (PSA: don't try that with your Plaid).
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #61
px99
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Wow, two of my favorite cars!
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      12-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #62
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Visited my dad this week and it was just painful walking through how electric cars “work”.

Questions like “but what do you do if you run out of range?” (They drive well within the range of any electric car on the market) and “how do you charge them?” (The car sits there in the garage for 22hours a day on average). It’s just crazy how they “don’t get it”. I’m not suggesting they should buy an EV, but the people who just “don’t get it” blow my mind. By trying to show that an EV would suit their needs and many others just fine. The cars are here and working every day. Not the perfect transportation for every application, but a lot of the resistance is willful ignorance. I challenge anyone here to go out to their local Autocross and race against a Tesla. For a car that can’t turn or stop, they sure are fast…and good luck telling their drivers they are “wrong”…
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #63
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
And the tech is just above and beyond!
Congrats on your purchase. That phrase though is what turns me off. And to each their own.

It’s a sign of the times as well. Push for more tech everywhere you can cram it. I guess as I get older less tech I want. I can’t see why anyone needs a touch screen bigger than my first black and white tv in a car.

For the EV vs other fuels discussion, I would gladly in the future seek out an ev conversion to put in my e86 so I’m not against the future of how we power our vehicles. I’m more against making something smarter so you can be more stupid.

Ie let’s put lane correction in a car for when you text or take selfies while driving, that example actually used in a car commercial to promote why you need lane correctness. Also some vehicles have been designed with such blind spots that a must package includes blind spot monitoring. Why design the blind spot in the first place?
Now tech I’m behind is a wonderful young person who designed a screen to make the A pillar “see through” eliminating the blind spot. That’s truly innovating.

I found it hysterical when the big push for tech started to get crammed in and all negative consumer reports when phones started to be paired to your vehicle people complained more about their phones not syncing than transmission issues.
Another sign of where peoples priorities are.

Sorry for the soap box lol
Appreciate 1
dizz81296.00
      12-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #64
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
I've said this since day one..... anyone that has never had an 11sec car has no business driving a 9 second one. I think its a great Niche vehicle, just too fucking dangerous for the average consumer. Then there's this thread which went overseen by many.

The car literally starts to loose control and lock up on its own accord.

Going fast is fun when you're in control..... not a computer which is what a Tesla is. One big computer on wheels with a driver behind the wheel as a formality.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Plaid
This
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      12-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #65
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfried View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful purchase. When we had a house in Surprise Arizona with solar power I thought a Tesla would be a perfect car for us. I love the variety of comments from people on the forum especially the negative ones from people who are clearly biased about cars in general and do not have an ideal of what is being produced today that will affect what is available in the future. The electric car is not for everyone and is not a good choice in some environments such as where I am today. At minus 20.5 C or minus 1 F currently I doubt the range would be that good. Have fun with the new car.
There are lots of Teslas up here in Alaska. For a few years it was just a few Model Ss, then a few Xs started showing up, now it's common to see multiple models, Ss, Xs, 3s, on any drive anywhere. If you were letting the car cold soak outside and then trying to do a 250 mile trip, that's maybe where you'd have the biggest issue, but most are probably kept in garages from what I can tell and will never have to work all that hard.
      12-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #66
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wait, in general or on the Plaid? Because I have CCB on some cars and steel on others and I can guarantee you that CCB is better in every circumstance. On track it has the ultimate fade resistance - CCB’s don’t shorten stopping distance on one stop vs one stop on steel, but it definitely does on endurance (lap after lap).
In general. We totally settled that carbon brakes are useless and that Porsche and others don't know what they are doing when they spec the CCB brakes.

You can read all about it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1878157

TLDR: People are stupid and will find all sorts of irrational reasons to hate things.