BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Car been down for 4 months any help?

03-02-2024, 09:19 PM   #1
midnightghost
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is

Car been down for 4 months any help?

car gave out one day while driving changed my crankshaft position sensor both my cam shaft sensors my throttle body put a new alternator battery and power distribution box checked all my ground wires too car starts all my lights are on but I have no power at all car won't drive but starts fine I try too connect my mhd and it won’t read but when I connect a cheap obd scanner it tells me no dtc definition found took the car too bmw and 3 other mechanics and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong so car starts but has no power at all and my rpm gauge jumps around any help ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 12:12 AM   #2
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightghost View Post
car gave out one day while driving changed my crankshaft position sensor both my cam shaft sensors my throttle body put a new alternator battery and power distribution box checked all my ground wires too car starts all my lights are on but I have no power at all car won't drive but starts fine I try too connect my mhd and it won’t read but when I connect a cheap obd scanner it tells me no dtc definition found took the car too bmw and 3 other mechanics and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong so car starts but has no power at all and my rpm gauge jumps around any help ?
Bro. Spend $110 on a Launch Cre@der scanner on Amazon and post the full scan report here.

Maybe we can help you if we get all the codes.

This is what I use - can do all the diagnostics and coding for battery, etc on BMWs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UOTRA5UN&psc=1
      03-03-2024, 12:21 AM   #3
midnightghost
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is

I’m gonna get one and see if it can read the codes thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:23 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
I’m gonna get one and see if it can read the codes thank you
Also - please share the mileage and a list of all the mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:21 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
No DTC definition found could mean the code is BMW proprietary. Thus
Baron95's advice to get a BMW specific scan tool is spot on.

RPM gauge jumping around casts suspicion on the crankshaft sensor or signal transmitted to the ECU.

Assuming you checked the new sensor was correctly installed with the right amount of space between the sensor and the reluctor disc? Also, you need to confirm the disc is not loose (or damaged, cracked).

If everything at the sensor end is ok then the connector and wiring from the connector to the ECU is suspect.

But I'd get the BMW scan tool and arm yourself with as much error code and error code detail as you can before proceeding.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:45 PM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Agree, that without proprietary BMW codes it's a hit and miss if you want to dig that deep into the car.

That scanner looks good and relatively inexpensive, but needs updates which hopefully remain free. I also doubt it can program keys for FEM/BDC models. Maybe CAS4+ max.

The cheaper and more enduring way would be to use BMW's own shop software, ISTA+ and a $10 ENET cable. It also does diagnostics and gives you diagrams, etc. There are threads on how/where to download it. Get the "standalone" version and also need at least the light version of PSDzData.