BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A 2018 LCI review for Geezers.

01-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #111
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilberGrau ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Wow, this became more like an I hate the audio system thread. Check my build thread in the photos/videos section, but this will cure much of your issues. Self installed, plug and play, less than $1000.
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4429/...7f37da53_h.jpg[/img]

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1420878
Great upgrade and makes my original point...
No idea what your point it but @ryem3 is correct that a set of drop in speakers will do wonders. That's the way car stereos have been for decades.

Focal is a great speaker and far better than ANY OEM. It's like installing OHLINS shocks. Of course we would all love to have awesome shocks and speakers but then the price point wouldn't have been $52k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Once again. People complaining about all the non essential items. No one should by an M2 and complain about the stereo, the turns signals or anything else.

It's about performance people. At least once a year someone starts these threads. They should be immediately removed.

I hate that people are buying these cars for status. Most of them can't even afford them.

I very much agree. Minor complaints about items that a user can EASILY change are the kind of complaints that i feel are ridiculous as well.

For example.

TIRES
speakers
Type of interior leather
Exhaust
WHEELS

Etc.

These are personal concerns, not items that make the vehicle a disappointment, because they can easily be changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #112
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
THESE are some true words. I don't quite follow how the Dinan spring switch makes the car MORE compliant, but who knows. Don't seem to be a lot of reviews on them, other than the Smoking Tire.

I also owned a Golf R and would completely agree that adjustable suspension was terrific on that car, as was Fender stereo.
Golf R is just amazing for the money paid- soooo many good things, very fast- minor turbo lag of course but easily managed and not always present- almost unlimited "individual" settings for engine noise, suspension, steering, throttle etc... 30 MPG highway, great utility almost a tiny SUV, can be modded endlessly,. no wind noise (in mine at least) and the Fender sound is way above average and way better than the HK...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #113
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
No idea what your point it but @ryem3 is correct that a set of drop in speakers will do wonders. That's the way car stereos have been for decades.

Focal is a great speaker and far better than ANY OEM. It's like installing OHLINS shocks. Of course we would all love to have awesome shocks and speakers but then the price point wouldn't have been $52k.

I very much agree. Minor complaints about items that a user can EASILY change are the kind of complaints that i feel are ridiculous as well.

For example.

TIRES
speakers
Type of interior leather
Exhaust
WHEELS

Etc.

These are personal concerns, not items that make the vehicle a disappointment, because they can easily be changed.
1> If the above were added it wouldn't be a 52k car either- my point was that BMW should offer the "nannies" or better stereo as upgrade OPTIONS done at the factory- tearing the dash and doors apart of a new BMW is not my cup of tea and have had some SQUEAKY horror stories in the past...

2> I have owned MANY cars that didnt need a stereo upgrade to be really good- my current Golf R is prime example
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #114
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For example.

TIRES
speakers
Type of interior leather
Exhaust
WHEELS

Etc.

1> If the above were added it wouldn't be a 52k car either- my point was that BMW should offer the "nannies" or better stereo as upgrade OPTIONS done at the factory- tearing the dash and doors apart of a new BMW is not my cup of tea and have had some SQUEAKY horror stories in the past...

2> I have owned MANY cars that didnt need a stereo upgrade to be really good- my current Golf R is prime example
Then pay an installer ??

rye m3 was able to do the install that's great.

It's generally about $25-50 per pair of speakers to install them. Even if I am off by a factor of 50 percent it's chump change.. well under $300.

Again. Speakers are a personal preference. You may HATE Focal and LOVE Boston Acoustics.

If you hate the former and BMW installed them
Suddenly it's a reason to hate the car ? Hate the BRAND?

While a speaker swap, wheel swap , exhaust swap, tire change , etc may be beyond an owner's ability to change , they are simply remedied with a few bucks thrown toward a 25-35 year old.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #115
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Then pay an installer ??

If rye m3 was able to do the install that's great.

It's generally about $25-50 per pair of speakers to install them. Even if I am off by a factor of 50 percent it's chump change.. well under $300.
I never do it myself but taking apart a BMW door to install a speaker is not $50- unless the M2 door speakers can be taken out without taking the door panel off? That may be- but wasnt the case on my 435 Gran Coupe...
Hate the M2? I guess you didnt read my initial review- I LOVED it- just couldn't buy it cuz I wanted BSM. Its a fantastic amazing car AND VALUE for the price... But BMW as a brand, since you brought it up, is on a bit of a losing streak IMO- tired designs, boring interiors, less warranty than the past (cuz it may have been losing money for them?) and sales are losing to Mercedes and Audi for most models. I would argue the M2 is the best car that BMW makes right now- and it is sold in tiny numbers to move the needle. The 3-4 series LCI? The "Bread and butter" of BMW CARS? Boring... S5 vs 3-4 series? S5 all day please... and this is after owning 6 BMWs over 14 years.

Last edited by ZilberGrau ZHP; 01-03-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #116
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Then pay an installer ??

If rye m3 was able to do the install that's great.

I never do it myself but taking apart a BMW door to install a speaker is not $50- unless the M2 door speakers can be taken out without taking the door panel off? That may be- but wasnt the case on my 435 Gran Coupe...
I get it. And You should quickly. Audi.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #117
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Yep, did the install myself. The subs are just unbolting the seats and some other screws. Rear deck needed to mod the speakers. Yes, you need to remove the door panels (I removed them twice in the end lol). However, it's mostly trepidation, rather than skill involved. Having door trim tools and realizing that you need to pull HARD and it won't break. Was totally worth it. If I go the M2 CS, I plan to rip them out and install in the new car... either that or the kit will be for sale!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #118
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep, did the install myself. The subs are just unbolting the seats and some other screws. Rear deck needed to mod the speakers. Yes, you need to remove the door panels (I removed them twice in the end lol). However, it's mostly trepidation, rather than skill involved. Having door trim tools and realizing that you need to pull HARD and it won't break. Was totally worth it. If I go the M2 CS, I plan to rip them out and install in the new car... either that or the kit will be for sale!
Great job and great speaker selection I may add- Focals rock- put them in my last ZHP that I owned- loud AND clear... maybe I can get Chip and Joanna Gaines to do my upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #119
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

On my LCI at least (in Australia), I have a digital speedo. Just have to flick through the BC button options.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      01-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #120
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
On my LCI at least (in Australia), I have a digital speedo. Just have to flick through the BC button options.
And I only discovered a couple of weeks ago the readout size increases dramatically after a few seconds (& so not useless as I had previously thought). Once oil temp is up to around 90C I scroll to the speed, was very handy over xmas with double demerits
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #121
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I think maybe the road surface is more important in creating tyre roar. In the USA you have a lot of horrible concrete road surfaces which produce enormous amounts of tyre roar and a continuous "thunk" "thunk" "thunk" as your tyres go over the joints in the concrete. We don't have concrete roads in Europe but some roads have a very grainy surface and you can immediately hear the increase in volume as you drive onto them. In Geneva, more and more roads are being resurfaced with low noise tarmac and it's quite incredible how silent they are.
I also live in Texas where 90% of our roads are concrete. For some reason there is a stretch here in Plano that got replaced with asphalt recently (so brand new with no dips or potholes....yet). When I hit that, the road noise goes away in my car. It's actually almost creepy. So yeah, tire roar here is just an issue you have to live with.
Appreciate 2
M201834.50
      01-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #122
M2018
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I also live in Texas where 90% of our roads are concrete. For some reason there is a stretch here in Plano that got replaced with asphalt recently (so brand new with no dips or potholes....yet). When I hit that, the road noise goes away in my car. It's actually almost creepy. So yeah, tire roar here is just an issue you have to live with.
Independence?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #123
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Owh well... I blame my mate for letting me drive his car because it was game over for me. Now I have to wait for the arrival of mine of which is months away. Sigh!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #124
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

A geezer is a descriptive word in the UK which is used to define a mans characteristics. A geezer will be found usually outside a pub with a pint in his hand on match day. They commonly like football, scrapping, beer, tea, tits, and Barry white. Geezers often acknowledge other geezers by a greeting each other by saying geezer followed by a nod and a thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #125
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
A geezer is a descriptive word in the UK which is used to define a mans characteristics. A geezer will be found usually outside a pub with a pint in his hand on match day. They commonly like football, scrapping, beer, tea, tits, and Barry white. Geezers often acknowledge other geezers by a greeting each other by saying geezer followed by a nod and a thumbs up.
LOL nice! But I would say- in no particular order: (American College) Football, watching others scrap, beer, tits, ass, awesome cars and Black Sabbath.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      01-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #126
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
LOL nice! But I would say- in no particular order: (American College) Football, watching others scrap, beer, tits, ass, awesome cars and Black Sabbath.
Well there you have it.
Appreciate 0