BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Software Update?

12-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I don't believe remote software updates are supported on the G30 even with iDrive 7. Maps are updated OTA based on your region.
Additionally, I don't think you'll get the OTA map updates unless you login to the ConnectedDrive website and pick a map update region. Once you've done that it should let you know with a notification in iDrive periodically.

The latest for my region is 2019-4.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #24
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
I don't believe remote software updates are supported on the G30 even with iDrive 7. Maps are updated OTA based on your region.
Additionally, I don't think you'll get the OTA map updates unless you login to the ConnectedDrive website and pick a map update region. Once you've done that it should let you know with a notification in iDrive periodically.

Your region is automatically selected for you when you purchased the vehicle new.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Your region is automatically selected for you when you purchased the vehicle new.
Ah when I got mine it wasn't set, but that might have been due to my CA missing a step.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #26
cdp1276
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550 Mediterranean Blue

Garage List
2020 BMW M550  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
My car is a Oct 19 build with iDrive 7.0. It is going in for a complete software reinstall as it keeps losing settings in the profile and the “Intelligent Personal Assistant” isn’t that intelligent. I always use the same key !
The Genius and others in the dealers are mystified how this is happening but accept this is the first G30 with iDrive 7.0 they have come across. They are in contact with Germany over Remote Software Updates. Their documents say that the iDrive in G30’s is a ‘service pack’ and not the full system and one of the capabilities that will be excluded is RSU until next years LCI. However, the Drivers Guide (using the VIN), the hardcopy manual, Connected Drive and UK Customer Service all say the car should have it. I’ll let you know what the situation is after the software reinstall. They need the car for at least a full day so sales have arranged an 8 Series loaner !
Any further updates on RSU after your reinstall? I'm really bummed by this as I to see it with my VIN in BMW Drivers Guide. It feels like if they don't support that option it should be removed. I also don't have the Remote 3D View working either. It was in the BMW Connected App but now totally gone.

My dealer says this on RSU: In regards to the Remote Software Upgrade(henceforth RSU), we have been able to confirm that this is NOT currently available for G30/F90 vehicles in the USA. There are multiple requirements for the vehicle to be compatible with the RSU, and while the G30 received the upgraded headunit this year it still does not meet all the other firmware/hardware requirements for RSU. Keep in mind the G30 originally shipped with an older style headunit/iDrive system, and thus the rest of the body electronics were designed around that platform. G12(current 7 series) was the same way, and it was not compatible with RSU until it underwent it’s LCI(Life Cycle Impulse) update in the 2020MY. The G30 is due for it’s LCI in 2021, but we do not have word yet on whether the car will ship with RSU or not; either way, it is not something that can be retrofitted to the older vehicles due to the above listed constraints.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #27
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
Any further updates on RSU after your reinstall? I'm really bummed by this as I to see it with my VIN in BMW Drivers Guide. It feels like if they don't support that option it should be removed. I also don't have the Remote 3D View working either. It was in the BMW Connected App but now totally gone.

My dealer says this on RSU: In regards to the Remote Software Upgrade(henceforth RSU), we have been able to confirm that this is NOT currently available for G30/F90 vehicles in the USA. There are multiple requirements for the vehicle to be compatible with the RSU, and while the G30 received the upgraded headunit this year it still does not meet all the other firmware/hardware requirements for RSU. Keep in mind the G30 originally shipped with an older style headunit/iDrive system, and thus the rest of the body electronics were designed around that platform. G12(current 7 series) was the same way, and it was not compatible with RSU until it underwent it’s LCI(Life Cycle Impulse) update in the 2020MY. The G30 is due for it’s LCI in 2021, but we do not have word yet on whether the car will ship with RSU or not; either way, it is not something that can be retrofitted to the older vehicles due to the above listed constraints.
Yeah it is a bit of a bummer.

BMW has to get better about listing details for stuff like this. I think it will only hurt them in the longterm if they don't as it is pretty clear that software features are becoming increasingly important for the cars. Tesla is the one turning up the heat.... But at BMW price point you expect them to be at the forefront of automotive technology...

BMW could do themselves a major favor by listing iDrive versions and supported features for cars in a clear and regularly updated manner. They could do the same with their ConnectedDrive features as well.

I did expect this feature and it is a bummer to not have it. But I'm not letting it kill me entirely as I'm sure it is a major loss inside the BMW brand. They still need to make a lot of internal adjustments to start delivering meaningful updates over many years of ownership (like Tesla does). And right now updates on supported cars are not earth shattering (see the 3 series forums).

I still wish we would learn why it made it into the manual...
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
afi2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Quote:

My cars on 2019-2, the connected drive portal says latest is 2019-4 how do I get ota update without going down USB route? Any pointers, bummer about RSU though, the vehicle is always connected with internal sim, your able to download entire music libraries, news, weather don't see why there is an issue for RSU especially with the newer head units and ID7
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #29
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afi2k View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My cars on 2019-2, the connected drive portal says latest is 2019-4 how do I get ota update without going down USB route? Any pointers, bummer about RSU though, the vehicle is always connected with internal sim, your able to download entire music libraries, news, weather don't see why there is an issue for RSU especially with the newer head units and ID7
Because the vehicle doesn't fully support remote software upgrades yet. There are other posts about this. There's other hardware required other than the head unit being replaced for that to function correctly.

As far as map updates are concerned, you have a core baseline version and a regional update that comes out OTA. Texas is it's own region and the latest version of it is 2019-3 while other regions may be on 2019-4.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #30
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
I posted in another thread - the iDrive 7 Lite on G30 before the LCI next year will never have Remote Software Updates due to a lack of the required equipment.
Despite having the software totally reinstalled only last month, the (Europe) maps were version 2019-2. The OTA didn’t update so I downloaded the 32gb file for 2019-4 and manually updated. I was impressed that it took less than 45 mins to install faultlessly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #31
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I posted in another thread - the iDrive 7 Lite on G30 before the LCI next year will never have Remote Software Updates due to a lack of the required equipment.
Despite having the software totally reinstalled only last month, the (Europe) maps were version 2019-2. The OTA didn’t update so I downloaded the 32gb file for 2019-4 and manually updated. I was impressed that it took less than 45 mins to install faultlessly.
Where did you get the full map?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #32
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Despite having the software totally reinstalled only last month, the (Europe) maps were version 2019-2. The OTA didn't update so I downloaded the 32gb file for 2019-4 and manually updated. I was impressed that it took less than 45 mins to install faultlessly.
In some European countries the map updates are available to download through BMW Connected Drive website. USA (NA markets) OTA only. There's options to get the full map update for NA markets through 3rd parties.

Keep in mind other poster has iDrive7 with Live map. 2019-4 Live is available for some regions. Cars with iDrive 6 use Evo Map. Latest I've seen for Evo NA is 2019-3.
      12-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #33
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Despite having the software totally reinstalled only last month, the (Europe) maps were version 2019-2. The OTA didn't update so I downloaded the 32gb file for 2019-4 and manually updated. I was impressed that it took less than 45 mins to install faultlessly.
In some European countries the map updates are available to download through BMW Connected Drive website. USA (NA markets) OTA only. There's options to get the full map update for NA markets through 3rd parties.

Keep in mind other poster has iDrive7 with Live map. 2019-4 Live is available for some regions. Cars with iDrive 6 use Evo Map. Latest I've seen for Evo NA is 2019-3.
I downloaded 2019-2 several months ago. Just wondering where you got yours. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I downloaded 2019-2 several months ago. Just wondering where you got yours. Thanks.
PM'd you.
      12-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #35
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PM'd you.
Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #36
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

For ID 7 Lite cars like mine, how do I get a software update?
As mentioned, Remote Software Update doesn’t work on our ID 7 Lite versions.
Also, I went to the Bmw software update website and typed in my VIN; it says:
“No update is necessary.

BMW 530I, 2019, *my VIN*

The software of your BMW will be updated automatically.”

So I can’t even get an Usb update! So frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #37
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax View Post
For ID 7 Lite cars like mine, how do I get a software update?
As mentioned, Remote Software Update doesn’t work on our ID 7 Lite versions.
Also, I went to the Bmw software update website and typed in my VIN; it says:
“No update is necessary.

BMW 530I, 2019, *my VIN*

The software of your BMW will be updated automatically.”

So I can’t even get an Usb update! So frustrating!
We'll have to get them at the dealer is my guess.

Whether or not we'll ever get OTA updates is a who knows. Best to assume never and that the current state will last forever. But I hope we'll get lucky and it will come with the update that adds Android Auto support later this year.
Appreciate 0