BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding ConnectedDrive - disabled features

12-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I don't recall seeing this option (Stop Ventilation) before the backup camera recall which was a full iStep update to EVO version S. Does anyone know how to enable/re-enable this feature? Not really sure what is does unless it's to stop ventilation in the vehicle when you're away. I don't really see how different it is then the ventilation timer that you can set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
well, my connected drive has the same disabled feature, and the software in my car hasn't been updated yet...
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
well, my connected drive has the same disabled feature, and the software in my car hasn't been updated yet...
Hmmm. Oh well! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
There was a recent update to the app. Maybe this feature was added for future cars?

As it looks like it would allow you to stop the ventilation process remotely. On my 530e I can start and stop cooling from the app and I have a "Cooling" and "Stop Cooling" under enabled features.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
There was a recent update to the app. Maybe this feature was added for future cars?

As it looks like it would allow you to stop the ventilation process remotely. On my 530e I can start and stop cooling from the app and I have a "Cooling" and "Stop Cooling" under enabled features.
Thanks. One would think that since I start ventilation in my vehicle I should be able to stop it now that the option is there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I but believe features don't appear in the app unless your vehicle is capable of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Thanks. One would think that since I start ventilation in my vehicle I should be able to stop it now that the option is there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I but believe features don't appear in the app unless your vehicle is capable of it.
I can't say since I'm a fairly new member, but the app has been a bit wobbly as of late. For instance, my MY2020 530e w/ Surround View Cameras doesn't show the Remote 3D View option
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
One would think that since I start ventilation in my vehicle I should be able to stop it now that the option is there.
I was thinking the same.. Just for laughs, have you tried turning on ventilation, and then seeing if the stop function is activated??

I've never had a need to use the ventilation feature of connected drive so haven't tried it.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
One would think that since I start ventilation in my vehicle I should be able to stop it now that the option is there.
I was thinking the same.. Just for laughs, have you tried turning on ventilation, and then seeing if the stop function is activated??

I've never had a need to use the ventilation feature of connected drive so haven't tried it.
I tried it once when I first got the previous vehicle. It's useless in Texas!

Thanks! I might try your suggestion when I'm looking for something to do. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I can't say since I'm a fairly new member, but the app has been a bit wobbly as of late. For instance, my MY2020 530e w/ Surround View Cameras doesn't show the Remote 3D View option
Do you actually have that specific option with your vehicle? It won't show up in the app unless your car is capable of it. Having the cameras alone is not all that's required. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you actually have that specific option with your vehicle? It won't show up in the app unless your car is capable of it. Having the cameras alone is not all that's required. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case.
I was under the impression that all that is needed is the Parking Assistance Package with the Surround View Cameras. I have that package. When I reached out to the geniuses on the phone and in dealership that is all I am supposed to have for it. Neither could tell me why I am not seeing it though.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I was under the impression that all that is needed is the Parking Assistance Package with the Surround View Cameras. I have that package. When I reached out to the geniuses on the phone and in dealership that is all I am supposed to have for it. Neither could tell me why I am not seeing it though.
Here are three options on my window sticker (word for word). I do know that parking assistant plus is required. Sorry I can't remember what the differences are offhand.

Active Park Distance Control
Parking Assistant Plus
Surround View w/ 3D View
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Here are three options on my window sticker (word for word). I do know that parking assistant plus is required. Sorry I can't remember what the differences are offhand.

Parking Assistant Plus
Surround View w/ 3D View
Yep, that's the exact three I have as well as they are apart of the Parking Assistance Package.

I have no idea why it doesn't work, but I'll invest more time in making BMW figure it out by time I'm due for my next service or have a bit more time.

The other thing that I think is an issue in my car, but haven't taken it in yet to get sorted out is the low beam icon in the dash. I have no light that shows in the dash to show that low beams are on. Only Standing Lamps, High Beams, and Auto High Beam icons show.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Parking Assistant Plus
Surround View w/ 3D View
Yep, that's the exact three I have as well as they are apart of the Parking Assistance Package.

I have no idea why it doesn't work, but I'll invest more time in making BMW figure it out by time I'm due for my next service or have a bit more time.

The other thing that I think is an issue in my car, but haven't taken it in yet to get sorted out is the low beam icon in the dash. I have no light that shows in the dash to show that low beams are on. Only Standing Lamps, High Beams, and Auto High Beam icons show.
That is interesting. Not sure if this will make any difference, but if you get updated to EVO version S after the backup camera recall, a complete firmware update is done. I had to redo almost all of my coding in each module. This might reset your order file.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So I got bored. Car is ventilating and the "stop ventilation" option is still disabled. So much for that theory! 😂😂😂
Appreciate 1
Bymep132.00
      12-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
That is interesting. Not sure if this will make any difference, but if you get updated to EVO version S after the backup camera recall, a complete firmware update is done. I had to redo almost all of my coding in each module. This might reset your order file.
My car was built 1 day after the recall eligibility date. So I will need to get it in. Both have been minor so I haven’t done it yet. But definitely will.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure if it's exactly what your experiencing (sounds like your option is missing in the app itself?), but when I got my car (a year ago), the remote 3D view did not work for the first ~2 months, then started working. I was able to get stats such as mileage and amount of gas during this time. I think it took a long time for my account to get activated on the BMW side.

Also, make sure you enable remote access in the car in idrive, if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I got bored. Car is ventilating and the "stop ventilation" option is still disabled. So much for that theory! 😂😂😂
bummer

The mystery continues....
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #18
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Everything is working for me except ventilation and since I don't use it I guess I never bothered to find out why, probably should the next time I'm at dealer...
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have the 530e and use the "climatize" function a lot in the summer. I live in Scottsdale AZ and the summer temperatures can get very hot. I am also an avid (albeit not very good) golfer. So in the summer I tee off early and after finishing the 17th hole I take out my phone, use the app to "climiatize now" and the AC turns on. By the time I finish the last hole, get my clubs cleaned and walk to the car, it is very comfortable.

I have, however, never tried to turn it off once it is on. I think there is a 20 minute timer on the climatize function anyway.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Everything is working for me except ventilation and since I don't use it I guess I never bothered to find out why, probably should the next time I'm at dealer...
It's not really that great - esp. in the Southern states like Texas. It's just air movement, not AC.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have the 530e and use the "climatize" function a lot in the summer. I live in Scottsdale AZ and the summer temperatures can get very hot. I am also an avid (albeit not very good) golfer. So in the summer I tee off early and after finishing the 17th hole I take out my phone, use the app to "climiatize now" and the AC turns on. By the time I finish the last hole, get my clubs cleaned and walk to the car, it is very comfortable.

I have, however, never tried to turn it off once it is on. I think there is a 20 minute timer on the climatize function anyway.
In my testing on the 530e I did a few weeks ago it works well activating and deactivating. Will be interesting to try in the winter season we're heading into in the NE.
Appreciate 1