BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2020 M550 - first impression

10-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #23
NYCBMWFAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335Xi Coupe; 2016 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschack View Post
That seems like the way to go - so what tire size would that be with +5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBMWFAN View Post
For what it's worth I went with 20's on my order. I'm going to upgrade sidewall +5 as soon as I get delivery. A few members have done it and say it works great.

I did test drive the 20's on Northern Blvd though and it wasn't as rough as I thought it would be but it's possible to pop em regardless given the NYC streets.
Same default except +5 in the middle. Believe it's 245-40-20 F, 275-35-20 R
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
GFK007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschack View Post
That seems like the way to go - so what tire size would that be with +5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBMWFAN View Post
For what it's worth I went with 20's on my order. I'm going to upgrade sidewall +5 as soon as I get delivery. A few members have done it and say it works great.

I did test drive the 20's on Northern Blvd though and it wasn't as rough as I thought it would be but it's possible to pop em regardless given the NYC streets.
20's haven't presented any issues yet, but it's only been a few weeks. I'd recommend getting the Pilot super sports over the run-flats, as they are softer and apparently handle impact better.

Was thinking for the winter, I'd either throw a winter tire on the 688 rim (there are a few threads on the forum that list a handful of tire options that fit), or else get a set of 684's at a discount if possible.

The m550i looks too similar to the 540i with the 684's - that was the core of my issue. Only three rim choices isn't helpful either.

Also - if you could comment on tire spec for the +5 option it would be much appreciated.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0