BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions From 2018 6 series 640i GC to 2020 M550i, worth it?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
26
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 640i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

From 2018 6 series 640i GC to 2020 M550i, worth it?

Hi guys,
Any of you moved from a 6 series to an M550i?
Is it worth it?
I have my 6 for about 18 months now, and i`m getting close to my 2 years, which is maximum i`m keeping any car.
I really like the exterior of the 640i gc.
The interior it is very small and uncomfortable.
Also the engine, not powerful enough.

Is it worth to trade the 6 and get an M550i?
The interior on the 5 is whats keeping me to get it.

I`m also considering the new A6 and E43 AMG.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
clee1982
Major
United_States
496
Rep
1,281
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
well M550 will blow away 640's performance, though 6gc is one of the best modern looking BMW if you ask me, I would look at E53 and skip A6
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Alpine535Msport
Second Lieutenant
Alpine535Msport's Avatar
United_States
142
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 540i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
well M550 will blow away 640's performance, though 6gc is one of the best modern looking BMW if you ask me, I would look at E53 and skip A6
Definitely the 2020 M550i. To be honest I never thought the 6 Gran Coupe never looked good to me overall. The headlights always looked strange to me. I've seen them a lot on the road and always left me like...Meh. The 5-series on the other hand has beautiful lines, handsome and classic.
__________________
2018 BMW 540i
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
908
Rep
1,659
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhnd198502 View Post
Hi guys,
Any of you moved from a 6 series to an M550i?
Is it worth it?
I have my 6 for about 18 months now, and i`m getting close to my 2 years, which is maximum i`m keeping any car.
I really like the exterior of the 640i gc.
The interior it is very small and uncomfortable.
Also the engine, not powerful enough.

Is it worth to trade the 6 and get an M550i?
The interior on the 5 is whats keeping me to get it.

I`m also considering the new A6 and E43 AMG.
What don't you like about the interior? Is it the upholstery? The design? The hard materials? The bassbackwards instrument gauges?
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
joshuastein55
Major
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
1594
Rep
1,307
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

I think it would work well for you, I'm assuming based on only keeping your cars for 2 years that you are leasing (although you could be selling them I guess).

The 550 should be a good upgrade as the interior is more spacious and the N63 engine has plenty of power on tap and should satisfy your need for more power.

Only possible downside is that if your 6 has xDrive (wasn't specified in the post), the switch to electric steering will feel weird, since xDrive models of the 6 have hydraulic steering, but if you have a RWD model the steering should feel familiar.

If your looking at Mercedes I reccomend you look at the E53 (the replacement for the E43), I have the CLS variant of the E53 and its a very good car. It doesn't have as much power as the 550, but I overall prefer its driving dynamics to the 5.

As for the Audi, the current S6 isn't out yet, so I can't speak for it, but if its similar to current Audi's the transmission tuning will likely not be very smooth and laggy, and the touchscreens will be very difficult to operate without looking away from the road.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!
__________________
Current Vehicles: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 AMG/2020 BMW M2 Competition 6MT
Retired Vehicles: 1995 325Ci 5MT/2004 330i 6MT/2011 335xi/2017 540i/2018 Boxster S
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
26
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 640i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
What don't you like about the interior? Is it the upholstery? The design? The hard materials? The bassbackwards instrument gauges?
The design. The dash is stuck in 2014. I had the same dash on my X5 F15 in 2014 and and at the time that was something wow.

Audi or Mercedes really worked on their cars.
BMW slapped a few old parts together, gave them a new color and there it is...the new BMW. I had BMW for the past 8 years. E60, F15, F30 M performance Edition, now the 6 series. The dash on the G30, nothing new.
I like the 2020 specs when it comes to performance.
That X7 should have been something out of this world. Same with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
26
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 640i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I think it would work well for you, I'm assuming based on only keeping your cars for 2 years that you are leasing (although you could be selling them I guess).

The 550 should be a good upgrade as the interior is more spacious and the N63 engine has plenty of power on tap and should satisfy your need for more power.

Only possible downside is that if your 6 has xDrive (wasn't specified in the post), the switch to electric steering will feel weird, since xDrive models of the 6 have hydraulic steering, but if you have a RWD model the steering should feel familiar.

If your looking at Mercedes I reccomend you look at the E53 (the replacement for the E43), I have the CLS variant of the E53 and its a very good car. It doesn't have as much power as the 550, but I overall prefer its driving dynamics to the 5.

As for the Audi, the current S6 isn't out yet, so I can't speak for it, but if its similar to current Audi's the transmission tuning will likely not be very smooth and laggy, and the touchscreens will be very difficult to operate without looking away from the road.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, my 6 has the xdrive. Ill be driving both this weekend. The 550 and E53.
I really like the interior on the E53.
Maybe they`ll change the dash for the 2020 550i too...who knows... I like the m550i for its specs.
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
plutnicki
Private
13
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550 & 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I had a 2015 640i Gran Coupe xDrive M-sport. I now drive a 2018 M550. I think the 640 is one of the best looking cars out there. Both were/are Sapphire Black. My M550 however is superior in every way (power, comfort, features) to the 640. And ultimately, from the drivers seat, that's what matters more to me.

But I don't park next to 6 series gran coupe if I see one in the lot.
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
26
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 640i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Today i drove the M550i.
Yes, very powerful, compared with my 640i gc xdrive.
Handling, i don`t really feel a big difference between the two.
Front seats very comfortable (i don`t care about the back seat).

Cons: That stupid muffler speaker.
I want to hear more engine sound, more of that muffler that sounds good as is, not that stupid speaker that sound like its under the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

I had a 640GC and although it was a gorgeous car, inside and out, I never bonded with it. I found the handling to be kind of wallowing - even though the ride quality was subpar. The 5 (I have a 540i sport line but not the sports suspension) has more body lean but a much much much better ride. It replaced a 750i, so yes, plenty of power. I decided to get away from the troublesome V8s when I bought the G30.

I have not noticed the ASD issue in the 5, and it's very quiet, which is fine for me. You can code out the ASD and get an aftermarket exhaust if that's all that's holding you back.
__________________
F87 (mine)
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 1
clee1982496.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST