BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs BMW Leather Maintenance

08-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #23
rellascout
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
The leather in BMWs is a coated product. The leather is coated with a polymer which protects and seals it. All you need to maintain it is to clean it with is distilled water. Some people will warm it up a bit but it is really not necessary. Most of the stuff people wipe onto their leather does nothing to protect it. At its worst it is mildly abrasive and actually harms the leather. Another thing that happens is that the "Stuff" gets stuck around the stitching and weakens it over time. Distilled water is safer and effective for keeping them clean.

Now if you have a real stain or problem area on the seat above and beyond normal clean up other measures may be required depending on what has happened. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #24
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I was planning on using the Gyeon leather cleaner and coating. In fact I have it in my garage along with some other goodies in preparation for my cars arrival. Glad I read this. I used it on my dove gray leather seats previously in my Infiniti and did not experience any darkening or shine although I did get awesome protection. My seats are Dakota black with blue stitching. Perhaps I’ll try it on a seat back.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I tested mine on the inside of the rear armrest. Figured it was safest and least noticeable place. Good luck
      09-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #25
PetieD 7
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Would love to get options on leather care. My IND Tartufo Merino leather is the most expensive single option I ordered on my new 540i and I want to take care of it.
I was going with Gyeon Leather Cleaner followed by Gyeon Leather Coat. Someone commented that this leaves leather glossy despite Gyeon description. I want to keep the color and matte finish. Comments and thoughts.
I have been using Colourlock mild leather cleaner, and Colourlock Leather Shield to protect new leather surface that's under 3 years old. I have not experienced any issues using these 2 products.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
dchuck84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e

any suggestions on keeping the steering wheel a matte finish? I have gloves in the winter but it's too hot in the summer to be driving with gloves. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #27
alisha_hoda
Explorer
India
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60, BMW 530d

I got my BMW 530d interior leather protected with Opti Coat Bangalore.
It has made my seats easy to clean.
https://www.optioat.in
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #28
reice23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
My 5 series is being delivered today with Mocha Nappa so I'm glad I saw this thread.

I was looking on Amazon the other day for detailing stuff and came across this leather cleaner and conditioner from Chemical Guys. I spent about an hour researching it and comparing it to other products with good reviews and this was the one I decided on myself.

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but besides leather care, having a good tint on your car is paramount as well as parking in a garage helps to avoid any extreme temperatures as well as direct sun rays from beaming into your car. Those two things are very important to keeping leather healthy. Think about your sofa or sectional in your home. It's always a consistent temperature in your home and the sectional doesn't have sun rays beaming on it, and if it's like ours, it still looks great 10+ years later without ever using any leather cleaner or conditioner on it. And I could argue it's been used much much more. I know our cars are cars and will experience harsh conditions, but I'm just saying to limit the exposure when you can (i.e. park your car in your garage when you can or do yourself a favor and have tint installed, even a sun blocker on your windshield would look hideous, but at least you won't have the suns rays penetrating your Nappa niceness.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG...B96OLZOD&psc=0

Only thing I don't like about that conditioner is that it makes the leather shiny and clean looking which I like but after a few days of driving it comes right up. My driver side seat where my body is you can tell because those spots are gone and where i rest my arm on the center console u can see where my arm been sitting cuz the conditioner is gone from that spot as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #29
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I'll suggest that just about any name-brand leather cleaner and conditioner will work well (aside from the shiny/matte issue). What really counts is frequent, light cleaning (no harsh chemicals). Consistently keeping the seat clean, as simple as wiping down with a damp cloth, will do the most good, keeping the dirt out of the pores.

Remember, this leather in our cars is basically painted. There's a technical term for it, but automotive leather is not the same quality as you'll find in your nice Armani leather jacket, and it's treated to withstand a lot more abuse. And the color is (generally) sprayed on (like paint) not dyed into the leather like you'd think/hope/expect.

So all of that conditioning and moisturizing is wonderful, but largely unnecessary. Just keep it clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #30
RichieHPS
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Light skin is easily dirty, but this does not mean that black is flawless: it has more visible spots of shedding paint, and besides, it quickly overheats in the heat. The main thing in caring for a leather interior is cleanliness and good cream or oil for the skin.
Appreciate 0