BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Autocar: BMW design boss defends radical styling direction

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #243
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
///M4ster Yoda's Avatar
2936
Rep
3,488
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Adrian is a complete ass. But even more worrying is that the entire board of directors believes his crap!

Just saw the Topgear review of the M135i and Ollie Kew hits the nail when he states "The ugliest hot hatch of all time. It's hideous, but then almost all BMWs are these days".

If you have better ideas, then apply for his job.

See how many chair quarter back designers and keyboard warriors in this forum would actually walk the walk...:
I'd apply! Don't speak German, but I do know ugly and this design is fluent in ugly.
__________________
'03 330 '04 325 '08 328 '11 335 '11 335is
'14 335 '16 340 '16 M4 (Retired)
4 ED's 1 PCD
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #244
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1258
Rep
2,081
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Where do u put the license plate??
In the trash.

Front plates are for the garage wall at best.
Well that's true but you must not live in USA. We don't have that option
I actually do.

Just not in one of the extremely uptight states.

If I had to run one, if get one of the tow hook mount plate holders.

I also find that when I do get pulled over, the nicer I am, the nicer they are in return.
His question is actually important. Pretty much every US vehicle is designed with rear AND FRONT license plates in mind. Whether you want to install one or not, that's up to you. But legally, you must mount a front license plate on your vehicle (depending on state registered in) and using the front tow hook or on the dash in the front windshield is not really a solution the average customer would approve of.
Then like an Audi, dead in the middle is the only option the way I see it.
That's what I was also thinking, but then it would need to be shaped for it (outlined). Once its released it'll reveal more. It just doesn't look too good, but I hope I'm wrong.
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN2011.00

      10-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #245
BMWjunkie
Private First Class
BMWjunkie's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 Avus Blue/Sakhir full
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA (John's Creek area)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
Adrian van Hooydonk is probably used to controversy. Remember the E65 7-Series with the flame surfacing and "Bangle Butt"? van Hooydonk was the lead designer for that vehicle.

People really hated that design when it first came out, but I think it has aged decently well. I suspect we will see something similar with the new grills.
The Bangle butt didn't really age well, it was toned down and better integrated in succeeding designs.
__________________
BMWCCA #156196 since 5/1998
Current - F80 Avus Blue/SO - ED in Nov 2016, '12 X5 35i (wife's)
Past - '13 335i EBII/Black M-Sport PPK, '10 335i M-Sport, '03 M5, '02 530i M-Sport, '01 540i M-sport (RIP), '97 M3, '96 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #246
BMWjunkie
Private First Class
BMWjunkie's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 Avus Blue/Sakhir full
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA (John's Creek area)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
I'm a F80 M3 Competition owner. Was planning on getting the new M3 in a year or so, but with this confirmed design, I'm out. Too damn ugly for me.

Probably just going to hang onto my M3 for a while, maybe pick up a Porsche. Probably my only two options at the moment.
I'm in same boat and thought process. If the next M3 gets this design and not just the M4, then I'm pretty much done with it. I'll hold on to my F80 until the next-gen Tesla's come out! But I'll be keeping my beautiful, classically-styled Ferrari 458 forever! There's design and there's beauty, the 458 shows you can do both. BMW has lost that.
__________________
BMWCCA #156196 since 5/1998
Current - F80 Avus Blue/SO - ED in Nov 2016, '12 X5 35i (wife's)
Past - '13 335i EBII/Black M-Sport PPK, '10 335i M-Sport, '03 M5, '02 530i M-Sport, '01 540i M-sport (RIP), '97 M3, '96 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #247
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
2011
Rep
2,296
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Where do u put the license plate??
In the trash.

Front plates are for the garage wall at best.
Well that's true but you must not live in USA. We don't have that option
I actually do.

Just not in one of the extremely uptight states.

If I had to run one, if get one of the tow hook mount plate holders.

I also find that when I do get pulled over, the nicer I am, the nicer they are in return.
His question is actually important. Pretty much every US vehicle is designed with rear AND FRONT license plates in mind. Whether you want to install one or not, that's up to you. But legally, you must mount a front license plate on your vehicle (depending on state registered in) and using the front tow hook or on the dash in the front windshield is not really a solution the average customer would approve of.
Then like an Audi, dead in the middle is the only option the way I see it.
That's what I was also thinking, but then it would need to be shaped for it (outlined). Once its released it'll reveal more. It just doesn't look too good, but I hope I'm wrong.
So more likely then not, it will be something like this...

An area in the middle that's clearly designed to hold a license plate.

I'm not exactly sure how BMW intends to pull that off with their conjoined kidney design.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
paliknight1257.50

      10-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #248
Fuller
Major
880
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Consumers will vote with their wallets. My vote will be NO.
I always wonder why people say things like this. Who cares? Certainly not BMW as sales have been good this year outselling MB in September. In the consumer world you don't really matter as an individual as there's always a lineup of people that will take your place purchasing the product. Your NO vote isn't hurting BMW.
Let me unpack this for you bud. What you have is a text book "straw man" argument.

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

I stated 2 facts.

1. Consumers will vote with their wallets. This is an undisputed fact. Some will buy the car and some won't.

2. I will not.

Your straw man argument states that I believe BMW cares what I do and that I matter as an individual.

It may turn out that new Frankengrille will be a sales hit. It may not. I simply stated that I will not buy the car. I did it on a car forum under a relevant topic.
Rant over.
If you don't believe that bmw cares about your opinion, then why proclaim your intentions on a public forum?
Where else am I going to say it? At Target?
Yes! If you're there with your family, friends, or those who know you, and might care about which car you're going to buy. You could also just buy whatever car you intend to buy, and then post a review here at bimmerpost, perhaps comparing it to bmw models that you've driven. That could be interesting and informative content.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #249
classyfast
Colonel
595
Rep
2,171
Posts

Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Of course the designer is going to defend that ugly shit. All good, they'll fire the whole crew and start again, those bmw guys will go to Japanese companies and the cycle will continue.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #250
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1684
Rep
5,102
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Yes! If you're there with your family, friends, or those who know you, and might care about which car you're going to buy. You could also just buy whatever car you intend to buy, and then post a review here at bimmerpost, perhaps comparing it to bmw models that you've driven. That could be interesting and informative content.
Let me get the crayons and explain it to you.

I'll be generous and assume that you are not a troll. Me not intending to buy the Frankengrille is ONE data point for BMW. That's it. I made that very clear. You follow so far?

Been on the forum since 2005. Do the math. This is the e-place where we come to discuss BMW crap with like minded individuals.

So next time you are at Walmart, do the same. MBMWGA.
Attached Images
 
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |

Last edited by M0011; 10-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Pic size
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #251
clee1982
Major
United_States
483
Rep
1,262
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
I'm a F80 M3 Competition owner. Was planning on getting the new M3 in a year or so, but with this confirmed design, I'm out. Too damn ugly for me.

Probably just going to hang onto my M3 for a while, maybe pick up a Porsche. Probably my only two options at the moment.
I'm in same boat and thought process. If the next M3 gets this design and not just the M4, then I'm pretty much done with it. I'll hold on to my F80 until the next-gen Tesla's come out! But I'll be keeping my beautiful, classically-styled Ferrari 458 forever! There's design and there's beauty, the 458 shows you can do both. BMW has lost that.
I don't know I like 355/360/430 and pretty much ends there...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #252
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
CigarPundit's Avatar
United_States
1071
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
It's like he took his design cues from one of photo shopped gag photos on here. Ugly grille. Not even debatable.
__________________
"God bless our troops...Especially our snipers.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:34 AM   #253
Hellrot
Second Lieutenant
134
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 16 M235i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Pandering to the Chinese market because that's where the money is
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Pandering to the Chinese market because that's where the money is
How do we know the Chinese market likes this?
Good question. Need to drop by the Chinese takeaway and ask.

They do a mean Kung Po chicken 🐔....🤣
It's an honest question. I've seen this said a couple of times in this thread with no evidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #254
Drv4fun
Second Lieutenant
44
Rep
252
Posts

Drives: '13 M3
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

The Good:Name:  6E52865B-8C6F-4546-885E-0CF16F907A26.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  125.6 KB

The Bad:Name:  5DFAABEA-C53D-4047-8CF7-CB1DF3F0395D.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  189.9 KB

and the Ugly:Name:  C2067F03-8F81-4970-B5F6-86D110A61CFE.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  142.4 KB

Last edited by Drv4fun; 10-13-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
bmw1racer692.50
J-RO170.50
GenXer216.00

      10-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #255
thebmw
Post Advisor
thebmw's Avatar
285
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

True story. My teenager asked me yesterday "what car is that?". I said it's the new 7-series. He said "that is the ugliest car". So Huey-doinky is simply wrong with all generations: Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, Millennials, and now Gen Z. They all hate the stupid big grilles. Maybe the Chinese asked for them, but not the rest of the world. Seems like BMW bends over for the Chinese like the NBA does!
Appreciate 5
KoenG138.00
J-RO170.50

      10-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #256
535i MSport
Lieutenant
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
386
Rep
459
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Pandering to the Chinese market because that's where the money is
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Pandering to the Chinese market because that's where the money is
How do we know the Chinese market likes this?
Good question. Need to drop by the Chinese takeaway and ask.

They do a mean Kung Po chicken 🐔....🤣
It's an honest question. I've seen this said a couple of times in this thread with no evidence.
Very true, which is why I made a joke of it.😉

Because no one here actually knows.
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #257
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3069
Rep
2,642
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
It's an honest question. I've seen this said a couple of times in this thread with no evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Very true, which is why I made a joke of it.😉

Because no one here actually knows.
i've been asking this multiple times as well. no one replies with facts yet the same meme is parroted over and over. it's even in a post sandwiched between your two posts!

it's starting to sound a little derisive since the implication is clearly being cast that the Chinese have what the rest of us would consider terrible taste.
Appreciate 2
clee1982482.50
Hellrot134.00

      10-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #258
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
892
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
i've been asking this multiple times as well. no one replies with facts yet the same meme is parroted over and over. it's even in a post sandwiched between your two posts!

it's starting to sound a little derisive since the implication is clearly being cast that the Chinese have what the rest of us would consider terrible taste.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ch...les-2012-05-05

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...esigning-cars/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...e-west-thinks/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...lle/ar-AADt9Mr

Google is your friend.
Appreciate 2
thebmw284.50
Hellrot134.00

      10-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #259
thebmw
Post Advisor
thebmw's Avatar
285
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

People are so afraid of the truth if it's even remotely considered offensive. The reality is, if someone has bad taste, they own it, not the person pointing it out! The other reality is, the whole world bows to communism now. Good luck to us all...
Appreciate 1
J-RO170.50

      10-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #260
535i MSport
Lieutenant
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
386
Rep
459
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
People are so afraid of the truth if it's even remotely considered offensive. The reality is, if someone has bad taste, they own it, not the person pointing it out! The other reality is, the whole world bows to communism now. Good luck to us all...
Give me strength....

But "rest of the world" sales must mean something...?🙁🤔

Look at this joke! 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
Attached Images
 
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #261
ausdude
Private
ausdude's Avatar
2
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 550i M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin TX

iTrader: (0)

Im thrilled the series no longer so similar year after year.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]2013 550 M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #262
thebmw
Post Advisor
thebmw's Avatar
285
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Give me strength....

But "rest of the world" sales must mean something...?����

Look at this joke! ����������
In the articles, it states that the Chinese consider ostentatiousness and gaudiness with status and power. Some of us have evolved from that and realize that true class is how we respect ourselves and others, i.e. treat everyone equally (until they have given us a reason not to) and stand up against things like child slavery and human trafficking.
Appreciate 1
paliknight1257.50

      10-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #263
535i MSport
Lieutenant
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
386
Rep
459
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Give me strength....

But "rest of the world" sales must mean something...?����

Look at this joke! ����������
In the articles, it states that the Chinese consider ostentatiousness and gaudiness with status and power. Some of us have evolved from that and realize that true class is how we respect ourselves and others, i.e. treat everyone equally (until they have given us a reason not to) and stand up against things like child slavery and human trafficking.
Have you read about the opium wars? If Trump read about them, it might give him some ideas.
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #264
KoenG
Lieutenant
Belgium
138
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: E39 530i & G01 X3 2.0d XDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
True story. My teenager asked me yesterday "what car is that?". I said it's the new 7-series. He said "that is the ugliest car". So Huey-doinky is simply wrong with all generations: Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, Millennials, and now Gen Z. They all hate the stupid big grilles. Maybe the Chinese asked for them, but not the rest of the world. Seems like BMW bends over for the Chinese like the NBA does!
My 2 sons of 11 and 13 reacted also with total unbelieve the first time they saw the 7 LCI. I have the same conviction then you: they try to work the Asian market and believe that the decay in their traditional markets will remain acceptable. I doubt this... seriously.
Appreciate 1
thebmw284.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST