BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications NEW RELEASE: Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Elite (M550i)

01-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #67
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergan123 View Post
What are people experiencing for top speed? I had my s1 installed on the lot at purchase. My car limits out at 135mph.

I have little experience with all of this however expected no top end limit.

Anyone else have experience with this issue?
are you on the performance tires or all seasons?
Has to be on the all-seasons. 155mph is the standard top limiter with performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #68
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

Quote:
Called Dinan today, looks like the Elite V2 is not legal for sale in California yet.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...or-bmw-n63tu2/

The CSR told me that they will submit it for the carb approval next week, and once that is done they can sell the product to California while they wait for approval, which can take up to a year, but if it does not get approved by Carb the product will not be street legal but he's not anticipating it to not get approved.
They've been saying "next week" about this filing for at least a month now. OK, holidays and all - but since you posted this, next week has come and gone. So Dinan_Engineering - what gives?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #69
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudling View Post
They've been saying "next week" about this filing for at least a month now. OK, holidays and all - but since you posted this, next week has come and gone. So Dinan_Engineering - what gives?
Just get the Stage 1 and call it a day.
      01-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #70
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
If we didn't have to rely on outside organizations for certain steps in the process then it would have been officially submitted to CARB last year. Unfortunately however that is not reality and we are beholden to other organizations timelines. Right now we are waiting on SEMA who typically is pretty quick in these matters but perhaps the holidays hit them harder then most. Who knows.

Just for the sake of comparison -- The process that everyone wants to be done ASAP is akin to standing in line at the DMV for basically ANY task. While those standing in line view the task as a 15 minute in and out thing, it could take all day in the DMV time continuum.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #71
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
If we didn't have to rely on outside organizations for certain steps in the process then it would have been officially submitted to CARB last year. Unfortunately however that is not reality and we are beholden to other organizations timelines. Right now we are waiting on SEMA who typically is pretty quick in these matters but perhaps the holidays hit them harder then most. Who knows.

Just for the sake of comparison -- The process that everyone wants to be done ASAP is akin to standing in line at the DMV for basically ANY task. While those standing in line view the task as a 15 minute in and out thing, it could take all day in the DMV time continuum.
Thanks for the additional info. FWIW, I think the problem is not so much that it's taking a long time - I'm sure these things take as long as they take. What's disappointing is that Dinan (or SEMA?) can't more accurately predict how long they'll take, so Dinan CSRs wind up setting the "next week" expectation, and then next week comes and goes - repeatedly. I can't speak for all consumers, of course, but personally I'd rather be told "four weeks" and have it happen in 3, than be told "one week" for three consecutive weeks.

Standing by...!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #72
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info. FWIW, I think the problem is not so much that it's taking a long time - I'm sure these things take as long as they take. What's disappointing is that Dinan (or SEMA?) can't more accurately predict how long they'll take, so Dinan CSRs wind up setting the "next week" expectation, and then next week comes and goes - repeatedly. I can't speak for all consumers, of course, but personally I'd rather be told "four weeks" and have it happen in 3, than be told "one week" for three consecutive weeks.

Standing by...!
Fair enough. I personally avoid dates and timelines at all costs and I try to stress that to the sales department whenever possible as well since we are in an industry of very loose timelines. Over promising is very common to say the least. The sales guys have been hammering engineering for dates and the engineering folks are simply relaying their best guess based on historical data and info from their contacts at the outside vendor (in this case SEMA).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #73
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

What’s sema?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #74
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What’s sema?
Specialty Equipment Market Association. They are the biggest entity that represents the automotive aftermarket as a whole in North America. They do quite a few things really --- one of them is the SEMA Garage which is their 3rd party CARB testing operation.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #75
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

any updates? Dinan_Engineering

do BMW dealers have access to ordering the stage 1 tune? I am in So. Cal and want to get the tune ordered and installed at one of the BMW dealers here within the coming month, but i'm assuming they won't be able to order the elite v2 yet, but do they still have accessibility to the stage 1 which is legal in Cali?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #76
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
any updates? Dinan_Engineering

do BMW dealers have access to ordering the stage 1 tune? I am in So. Cal and want to get the tune ordered and installed at one of the BMW dealers here within the coming month, but i'm assuming they won't be able to order the elite v2 yet, but do they still have accessibility to the stage 1 which is legal in Cali?
The V1 is no more. If someone still has stock leftover then they could sell it but there is nothing to sell at the factory level for V1. To my knowledge all the major dealers that stocked the V1's have liquidated their stock already as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #77
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Dinan_Engineering so my BMW dealer (Rusnak BMW) called their Dinan Rep last Friday asking about the new part numbers, etc since they had changed. The Dinan rep told my BMW dealer that I guess there is a fault issue with the bluetooth functionality for the stage 1, so because of that the dealer does not want to install a Stage 1 for me, and is waiting for the CARB approval for the Elite v2.

Any update on SEMA? I know it's out of your hands, but I bet the sales team is starting to get frustrated with SEMA as well as Elite V2's cant be sold in California yet.

Last edited by modthispny; 02-05-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #78
tjohnson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Garage List
2024 BMW iX50  [0.00]
New M550i tomorrow

I'm picking up my new 2019 M550i tomorrow, after a 20 mile test drive today. Seems to be exactly what I have been looking for... something I can drive for 8 hours straight, but also have fun with on the back roads.

I'm interested in the Dinan V2 tuner for my car. Are there currently any deals going on for this unit??

Also, do I need to wait to get some miles on the car before installing??

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #79
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
I'm picking up my new 2019 M550i tomorrow, after a 20 mile test drive today. Seems to be exactly what I have been looking for... something I can drive for 8 hours straight, but also have fun with on the back roads.

I'm interested in the Dinan V2 tuner for my car. Are there currently any deals going on for this unit??

Also, do I need to wait to get some miles on the car before installing??

Thanks.
I'd guess with the V2 being new there's probably not any sales going on, maybe an upcoming holiday sale?

Every Dinan dealer I've talked to said not to install the tune until after the break in period.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #80
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 E60/M6 GC/M550i/M850/M3 Com

Have anybody gone from an M6 GC to an M550i................??
Considering trading in mine.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #81
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morteng70 View Post
Have anybody gone from an M6 GC to an M550i................??
Considering trading in mine.....
i have not driven an M6 GC, but I would assume that the M550i definitely has more usable street power, because of the AWD, and would leave the M6 GC in the dust from a race off launch, but ultimately the M6 GC is still a considerably faster car especially once you're at triple digits. They have comparison videos on youtube with F10 M5's vs M550i's and after about 100 mph the M5 begins to pull hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #82
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 E60/M6 GC/M550i/M850/M3 Com

Yes,I have seen the video...the M6 is brutal...in my eyes the most wounderfull design from BMW, so I`m struggling making up my mind, I can see the advantage with x drive, I have also tuned mine so its really trying to kill me everytime I floor it...not sureif I can let it go yet
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #83
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep

V2 in CA yet?

Heya, Dinan_Engineering - any news on California availability for the V2?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #84
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ditto to that. To be honest getting pretty annoying waiting around. I get it's not in Dinan's control but hoping for an update or something at least. I want to get a tune on my M550i but would rather just have the dealer do it instead of buying a stage 1 and taking it to a authorized dinan shop (non-dealer)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #85
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ditto to that. To be honest getting pretty annoying waiting around. I get it's not in Dinan's control but hoping for an update or something at least. I want to get a tune on my M550i but would rather just have the dealer do it instead of buying a stage 1 and taking it to a authorized dinan shop (non-dealer)
Ultimately it's no news that either of you will care to hear. Testing has been split up into 3 groups (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and 8 cylinder) with 4 cylinder getting the nod first. Its in the "fast track" queue now to be tested at an independent ARB station but until that testing is done nothing is officially submitted to CARB. So as far as legality is concerned its in the exact same boat as it has been although from a process stand point its further along.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:49 AM   #86
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

Posting this here because there seems to be more traffic in this forum than the 7 Series forum. I just received a Elite V2 tune for my 2019 750i xDrive, which I believe is the same product as the Dinan tune for the M550 xDrive. I was surprised to find out that this product only connects to the 2 MAP sensors in the engine and that's it. Dinan's own video for the product talks about how they connect to multiple sensors to give you the best product with the smoothest power delivery. I guess they decided they don't want to do that anymore.

Also, for anyone else who's purchased this product, can you tell me if your control module is labeled as N63TU or N63TU2. The outer box that my V2 Elite was packaged in says N63TU2, but the control module inside simply says it's for an N63TU. I'm wondering if they maybe sent me the wrong thing. It also says part no: D443-0069 and Product ID: NPJDRS

Thanks,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #87
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I called Dinan and I had the right part. I had it installed today and..... I can't tell the difference. Honestly, my car might actually feel slower now. And the Sport Display shows the car topping out at around 450HP. I'm wondering if they installed it incorrectly or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #88
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Either the Elite Ver. 2 tune is beyond worthless or Dinan really did send me the wrong ECU. I haven't had a chance go do any timed 0-60 runs because of traffic during the day and bad weather at night, but my car definitely feels slower with the tune installed. Especially low end torque. It's just gone. I took the tuned ECU off and installed the provided bypass and now the car has its part-throttle torque back again. Hopefully I can do a timed run later tonight.
Appreciate 0