BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions My first diesel car

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
BBDC5
Private First Class
33
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 16 F80
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

My first diesel car

I am an active member in the F80 forum and also have an X4 to drive on a daily basis.

This past week, I test drove a 540d and of course play with the cool new gadgets in the 5 series. Immediately, I fell in love with the 540d torque and technologies. Yesterday, I made a deal on the 540d and traded in the X4. I am from Canada (Toronto) and got an amazing deal combined with the BMW Canada promotion going on for Xdrive. Not bad at all and below is the spec.

Premium Package Enhanced
Drivers Assistance Package
Smartphone Connectivity Package
20 " BMW Individual Lt/Aly Wheels V-Spoke 759iPerf RFT
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching
Aluminum Rhombic Trim w/ Satin Chrome Highlight

I am so excited and should take delivery this Saturday.

Anyone from this forum who can share their experience on the diesel engine.

Last edited by BBDC5; 06-02-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
BBDC5
Private First Class
33
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 16 F80
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Also, whoever is looking to purchase a new BMW in Toronto and area (Canada), please contact Jay Wong at Endras BMW. He is so amazing to work with.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
ADS-UK's Avatar
United Kingdom
445
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What engine is in 540d in Canada?

I've driven diesels for the past 4 years given the mileage I do. Got to say I love torque you get from a good Diesel engine. In my opinion, they make perfect sense as you rarely get to experience the high end of an equivalent petrol engine given speed limits and where I drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
3484
Rep
11,416
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

This will be the European "530d".

IMO, the 'sweet spot' diesel in BMW models, and works well in the G30. More refined than previous installations. Excellent balance of performance and economy.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK445.00

      05-31-2018, 04:35 AM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
269
Rep
1,842
Posts

Drives: G30 530d MSport x-drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCL - UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's beautiful man. 530d rocks.
__________________
Gone: E87 120d SE Auto (M47TU2D20) Sparkling Graphite
Gone: F31 330d M Sport (N57D30A) Estoril Blue
Gone: E61 520d SE Auto (N47D20) Titanium Silver
Running: G30 530d M Sport (B57) Mediterranean Blue
Running: F15 X5 40d M Sport (N57) Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
ADS-UK's Avatar
United Kingdom
445
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
This will be the European "530d".

IMO, the 'sweet spot' diesel in BMW models, and works well in the G30. More refined than previous installations. Excellent balance of performance and economy.
Thanks Pete. That's what I thought.

I switched to diesel 4 years ago and love it. I think that's when people started moving away from Diesels

As you say 530d is the sweet spot. Makes perfect sense for our speed limits, road conditions and economy.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
530iDriver
Lieutenant Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
994
Rep
1,685
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Diesel has a bad reputation in the US and the recent VAG cheating emissions scandal didn't help with its already tarnished reputation.

For us Americans, diesel is something reserved for trucks and buses, not passenger vehicles.

With that said, BMW produces impressive Diesel engines and we get a limited range of diesel models here.. But they find little buyers.

Petrol is much cheaper here than in Europe and we don't get taxed based on engine displacement either.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
TheBusDriver
New Member
48
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2018 540d
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Toronto/GeorgianBay/Marco Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
I am an active member in the F80 forum and also have an X4 to drive on a daily basis.

In the past week, my amazing sale advisor bought over a 540d for me to test drive and try with the available gadgets in the 5 series. Immediately, I felt in love with the 540d on its torque and technologies. So yesterday, I made a deal on the 540d and traded in the X4. I am from Canada (Toronto) and the total discount that I received was close to 13%. Not bad at all and below is the spec.

Premium Package Enhanced
Drivers Assistance Package
Smartphone Connectivity Package
20 " BMW Individual Lt/Aly Wheels V-Spoke 759iPerf RFT
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching
Aluminum Rhombic Trim w/ Satin Chrome Highlight

I am so excited and should take delivery this Saturday.

Anyone from this forum who can share their experience on the diesel engine.
I'm also in Toronto (at least some of the time) and have a 540d as well. (First one registered in Canada dealer told me...) I've had it 1 month exactly, and now have a whopping 1600km on it.

Driving in T.O, you're going to have to learn to drive like a formula 1 driver, swerving to avoid all the potholes! With the low profile 20's, I panic everytime I hit a hole on the Gardiner Expwy, or our other well potmarked roads, for fear of bubbling or breaking the tires (Pzero PZ4 on my mine.)

Still, the car, and especially this engine, continues to exceed all my expectations. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by TheBusDriver; 05-31-2018 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: speling
Appreciate 1
VWtoBMW50.00

      05-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
BBDC5
Private First Class
33
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 16 F80
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Diesel has a bad reputation in the US and the recent VAG cheating emissions scandal didn't help with its already tarnished reputation.

For us Americans, diesel is something reserved for trucks and buses, not passenger vehicles.

With that said, BMW produces impressive Diesel engines and we get a limited range of diesel models here.. But they find little buyers.

Petrol is much cheaper here than in Europe and we don't get taxed based on engine displacement either.
Thank you 530iDriver. Unfortunately, the petrol is relatively more expensive than diesel in Toronto (Canada). I would say we need to pay an additional 20 to 30% premium on petrol. You guys are very lucky as the gas price is a lot cheaper. Thanks to the Canadian Government that loves to impose tax on petrol to penalize car lovers.

I totally agree with you on the scandal that it really disrupted the diesel market. I believe in BMW that they would not follow the business tactic as like VW to cheat the consumers.
Appreciate 1
VWtoBMW50.00

      05-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
BBDC5
Private First Class
33
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 16 F80
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
I'm also in Toronto (at least some of the time) and have a 540d as well. (First one registered in Canada dealer told me...) I've had it 1 month exactly, and now have a whopping 1600km on it.

Driving in T.O, you're going to have to learn to drive like a formula 1 driver, swerving to avoid all the potholes! With the low profile 20's, I panic everytime I hit a hole on the Gardiner Expwy, or our other well potmarked roads, for fear of bubbling or breaking the tires (Pzero PZ4 on my mine.)

Still, the car, and especially this engine, continues to exceed all my expectations. Enjoy the ride!
I am on the same page as you on the potholes on the 400 series highway. Fortunately, I purchased the rims and tires protection package to make me worry free in the next 4 years. I think my car is getting the Good Year tires.
Appreciate 1
VWtoBMW50.00

      06-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
101
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2016 535d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Savannah GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
Thank you 530iDriver. Unfortunately, the petrol is relatively more expensive than diesel in Toronto (Canada). I would say we need to pay an additional 20 to 30% premium on petrol. You guys are very lucky as the gas price is a lot cheaper. Thanks to the Canadian Government that loves to impose tax on petrol to penalize car lovers.

I totally agree with you on the scandal that it really disrupted the diesel market. I believe in BMW that they would not follow the business tactic as like VW to cheat the consumers.
Actually, US diesel is usually cheaper than premium, which is required in NA petrol engines. Typically its about 5% more expensive in the US per gallon for premium and at least 30% less efficient. The huge difference in cost is always spoken of in reverse - that diesel is more expensive - since people don't compare it to premium but to regular grade gasoline. They also don't do the math regarding the fuel economy difference.

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
421
Rep
1,241
Posts

Drives: E82M/F31 328XD
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montréal Canada

iTrader: (0)

What type of diesel millage are you getting? I own a 328d Touring I usually average in the low 5L/100kms driving +/- 119km/h on the cruise control.
Appreciate 1
kitster363.00

      06-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
101
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2016 535d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Savannah GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
What type of diesel millage are you getting? I own a 328d Touring I usually average in the low 5L/100kms driving +/- 119km/h on the cruise control.
I get 36 mpg US with the 535d (530d ROW) which amounts to 6.5L/100kms. Doesn't help to change to eco mode or use cruise control in that I drive it to avoid use of braking too much, which is responsible for others' lesser fuel economy I suspect.

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
prashantis1
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Enjoying my 328d since Aug 2013. I was told by my dealer that I am the first buyer from their showroom.

I have been getting around 38-39 MPG consistently with mix of city-freeway driving. However with the news about all the European cars are or were involved in Diesel Gate scandal, I am bit worried about using it. Has anyone got any details?
I have heard that there are people suing BMW North America for selling the cars which were not supposed to be sold with the defeat software.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
101
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2016 535d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Savannah GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantis1 View Post
Enjoying my 328d since Aug 2013. I was told by my dealer that I am the first buyer from their showroom.

I have been getting around 38-39 MPG consistently with mix of city-freeway driving. However with the news about all the European cars are or were involved in Diesel Gate scandal, I am bit worried about using it. Has anyone got any details?
I have heard that there are people suing BMW North America for selling the cars which were not supposed to be sold with the defeat software.
Other than some lawyers and suit-happy people, BMW is not involved in any defeat software scandal. The BMW that was tested passed while the VW didn't in the WV University study.

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
10371
Rep
114,581
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (19)

Congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
VWtoBMW
Captain
VWtoBMW's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2018 540d xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
I am an active member in the F80 forum and also have an X4 to drive on a daily basis.

This past week, I test drove a 540d and of course play with the cool new gadgets in the 5 series. Immediately, I fell in love with the 540d torque and technologies. Yesterday, I made a deal on the 540d and traded in the X4. I am from Canada (Toronto) and got an amazing deal combined with the BMW Canada promotion going on for Xdrive. Not bad at all and below is the spec.

Premium Package Enhanced
Drivers Assistance Package
Smartphone Connectivity Package
20 " BMW Individual Lt/Aly Wheels V-Spoke 759iPerf RFT
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching
Aluminum Rhombic Trim w/ Satin Chrome Highlight

I am so excited and should take delivery this Saturday.

Anyone from this forum who can share their experience on the diesel engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
I am an active member in the F80 forum and also have an X4 to drive on a daily basis.

This past week, I test drove a 540d and of course play with the cool new gadgets in the 5 series. Immediately, I fell in love with the 540d torque and technologies. Yesterday, I made a deal on the 540d and traded in the X4. I am from Canada (Toronto) and got an amazing deal combined with the BMW Canada promotion going on for Xdrive. Not bad at all and below is the spec.

Premium Package Enhanced
Drivers Assistance Package
Smartphone Connectivity Package
20 " BMW Individual Lt/Aly Wheels V-Spoke 759iPerf RFT
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching
Aluminum Rhombic Trim w/ Satin Chrome Highlight

I am so excited and should take delivery this Saturday.

Anyone from this forum who can share their experience on the diesel engine.
I'm picking up my Carbon Black on Cognac 540d this Saturday. First diesel BMW but have had VW diesels in the past.
Looking forward to it !
__________________
2018 540d xDrive Carbon Black Metallic on Cognac leather. Spec'd out to the max
2017 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe. Black on black
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #18
BBDC5
Private First Class
33
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 16 F80
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I'm picking up my Carbon Black on Cognac 540d this Saturday. First diesel BMW but have had VW diesels in the past.
Looking forward to it !
Congrats!!! It is an amazing car to drive and I can drive up to 950KM per tank.

Where did you purchase your car from in Toronto?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #19
VWtoBMW
Captain
VWtoBMW's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2018 540d xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I'm picking up my Carbon Black on Cognac 540d this Saturday. First diesel BMW but have had VW diesels in the past.
Looking forward to it !
Congrats!!! It is an amazing car to drive and I can drive up to 950KM per tank.

Where did you purchase your car from in Toronto?

Thanks
I bought the car from Budds Oakville. Third BMW from them in 5 years. Fantastic in all areas and I'm quite picky. I live in the west side of Toronto.
__________________
2018 540d xDrive Carbon Black Metallic on Cognac leather. Spec'd out to the max
2017 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe. Black on black
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #20
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
29
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 530i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I bought the car from Budds Oakville. Third BMW from them in 5 years. Fantastic in all areas and I'm quite picky. I live in the west side of Toronto.
Please take pics of it! I am taking delivery of my 530i also in Toronto (BMW Autohaus) on July 23, 2018
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #21
VWtoBMW
Captain
VWtoBMW's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2018 540d xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLHCxX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I bought the car from Budds Oakville. Third BMW from them in 5 years. Fantastic in all areas and I'm quite picky. I live in the west side of Toronto.
Please take pics of it! I am taking delivery of my 530i also in Toronto (BMW Autohaus) on July 23, 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLHCxX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I bought the car from Budds Oakville. Third BMW from them in 5 years. Fantastic in all areas and I'm quite picky. I live in the west side of Toronto.
Please take pics of it! I am taking delivery of my 530i also in Toronto (BMW Autohaus) on July 23, 2018
Will do. Tomorrow 10am
__________________
2018 540d xDrive Carbon Black Metallic on Cognac leather. Spec'd out to the max
2017 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe. Black on black
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #22
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
269
Rep
1,842
Posts

Drives: G30 530d MSport x-drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCL - UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Pics?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST