BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Bowers & Wilkins retro fit

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #1
Mrgee55
New Member
Mrgee55's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: G30 530d xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Bowers & Wilkins retro fit

Hi Guys
has anyone tried this Bowers and Wilkin's speaker kit upgrade for their G30 yet.. asi I would like to know what the quality is like as I'm not sure they're the genuine article, maybe an equivalent style speaker?

http://www.gzcarphone.com/bmw-5-seri...eeter_p64.html
http://www.gzcarphone.com/bmw-5-seri...light_p71.html

any feedback would be appreciated

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
mobilejo
Major
mobilejo's Avatar
318
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: G30 540i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgee55 View Post
Hi Guys
has anyone tried this Bowers and Wilkin's speaker kit upgrade for their G30 yet.. asi I would like to know what the quality is like as I'm not sure they're the genuine article, maybe an equivalent style speaker?

http://www.gzcarphone.com/bmw-5-seri...eeter_p64.html
http://www.gzcarphone.com/bmw-5-seri...light_p71.html

any feedback would be appreciated

Well these are made in China and the info says "Bowers & Wilkins design" - they're not genuine.

Whether the sound quality will be better or worse than what you currently have (hifi or HK?), I don't know. But don't expect them to sound like the B&W tweeters would.

The lower speaker part is not even a speaker, its just a speaker cover but it has 'Bowers & Wilkins' written on it for some weird reason. The look & the branding of the high end system but you keep the sound from your lower end system; that just seems odd to me personally.
Appreciate 1
clee1982485.50

      10-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Mrgee55
New Member
Mrgee55's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: G30 530d xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Well these are made in China and the info says "Bowers & Wilkins design" - they're not genuine.

Whether the sound quality will be better or worse than what you currently have (hifi or HK?), I don't know. But don't expect them to sound like the B&W tweeters would.

The lower speaker part is not even a speaker, its just a speaker cover but it has 'Bowers & Wilkins' written on it for some weird reason. The look & the branding of the high end system but you keep the sound from your lower end system; that just seems odd to me personally.

Hi Thanks for the info..
The supplier has just confirmed they are not genuine, which I thought as much, but I am just looking to upgrade the ambient lighting in the speaker grills, the complete kit comes with the main speakers as well, but I probably wont use them.. the tweeters are a little more difficult, as they are bonded to the grille/cover, so I will try those out first to check quality against my HK ones. Fingers crossed, they're a decent quality.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
clee1982485.50

      11-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Mrgee55
New Member
Mrgee55's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: G30 530d xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgee55 View Post
Hi Thanks for the info..
The supplier has just confirmed they are not genuine, which I thought as much, but I am just looking to upgrade the ambient lighting in the speaker grills, the complete kit comes with the main speakers as well, but I probably wont use them.. the tweeters are a little more difficult, as they are bonded to the grille/cover, so I will try those out first to check quality against my HK ones. Fingers crossed, they're a decent quality.
Hi Guys...
my retro fit Bowers &Wilkins Design kit arrived and I’ve just fitted it... overall I must say...Im super impressed with the quality and the sound compared to the HKs ... I’m sure some purists will be able to tell the difference in the midrange sound quality, but the rest of the HK speakers in the rear and front dash, more that make up the overall sound quality, but at night, the extra ambient lighting is just awesome..
Fitting I did myself, which wasn’t too bad, pretty much plug and play, with just very small amount of drilling to get the HK speaker grills off the door card..
I’ll upload some pics later,
Overall..well worth the money, if you want the extra ambient lighting :
Appreciate 1
clee1982485.50

      11-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Chuckyarla
First Lieutenant
Ireland
112
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: G30 520d SE on order
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgee55 View Post
Hi Guys...
my retro fit Bowers &Wilkins Design kit arrived and Iíve just fitted it... overall I must say...Im super impressed with the quality and the sound compared to the HKs ... Iím sure some purists will be able to tell the difference in the midrange sound quality, but the rest of the HK speakers in the rear and front dash, more that make up the overall sound quality, but at night, the extra ambient lighting is just awesome..
Fitting I did myself, which wasnít too bad, pretty much plug and play, with just very small amount of drilling to get the HK speaker grills off the door card..
Iíll upload some pics later,
Overall..well worth the money, if you want the extra ambient lighting :
How much was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
BMWAUDIO
First Lieutenant
44
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Frozen Gray , 997 C4S
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ENCINO

iTrader: (1)

what was the cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgee55 View Post
Hi Guys...
my retro fit Bowers &Wilkins Design kit arrived and Iíve just fitted it... overall I must say...Im super impressed with the quality and the sound compared to the HKs ... Iím sure some purists will be able to tell the difference in the midrange sound quality, but the rest of the HK speakers in the rear and front dash, more that make up the overall sound quality, but at night, the extra ambient lighting is just awesome..
Fitting I did myself, which wasnít too bad, pretty much plug and play, with just very small amount of drilling to get the HK speaker grills off the door card..
Iíll upload some pics later,
Overall..well worth the money, if you want the extra ambient lighting :
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAUDIO View Post
what was the cost ?
what was the cost and how long did you wait from ordering till you received items?

thanks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
How much was it?
found it on aliexpress ...approx 550USD + shipping
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
MoeMo87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 435xi, M550i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
How much was it?
found it on aliexpress ...approx 550USD + shipping
I emailed the website that OP provided and this was the response:

"Thanks for your inquiry.
Price for one set is US$360 including shipping cost by DHL
Price include: tweeters with ambient light 2pcs, midrange door speaker 2pcs, speaker cover with ambient light: 2pcs"
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMo87 View Post
I emailed the website that OP provided and this was the response:

"Thanks for your inquiry.
Price for one set is US$360 including shipping cost by DHL
Price include: tweeters with ambient light 2pcs, midrange door speaker 2pcs, speaker cover with ambient light: 2pcs"
I did the same and got no reply.....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
MoeMo87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 435xi, M550i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMo87 View Post
I emailed the website that OP provided and this was the response:

"Thanks for your inquiry.
Price for one set is US$360 including shipping cost by DHL
Price include: tweeters with ambient light 2pcs, midrange door speaker 2pcs, speaker cover with ambient light: 2pcs"
I did the same and got no reply.....
So my first email sent to them basically told them what I want to purchase, my make/model/year and where I am from (Chicago).
I also asked them for a price which they gave
(US $360 including shipping).

I sent them a follow up email asking how long shipment takes and where I could actually purchase them because I haven't found a link on their website to buy.

I am still waiting for a response, when I get more information I will update you.
Appreciate 1
aadum50.00

      03-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32...34332e0eSUFA3q
__________________
Appreciate 1
MoeMo87152.00

      03-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
MoeMo87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 435xi, M550i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

I received an email back from the company today.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

mine are on order via ali express...they should arrive in a few days or so
__________________
Appreciate 1
MoeMo87152.00

      03-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
MoeMo87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 435xi, M550i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
mine are on order via ali express...they should arrive in a few days or so
Let me know how it turn out!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

speakers finally arrived...however no mounting instructions....speakers look great with good quality....I will let you know how it went once I connect them and see them in action
Appreciate 2
MoeMo87152.00
clee1982485.50

      04-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #17
MoeMo87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 435xi, M550i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
speakers finally arrived...however no mounting instructions....speakers look great with good quality....I will let you know how it went once I connect them and see them in action
That's awesome!!!

Yeah definitely let me know how it turns out.
Uploads some pics if you get time, it would be cool!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #18
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
21
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mission SJ CA

iTrader: (0)

I have been talking to couple vendor in taiwan as well as Malaysia who actually have completed this retrofit.

The cost is around $8000 USD for parts. But doable and no need to cut wires.

I am wondering how much would the past cost be in US?

Does anyone here that can help me to get P/N for all the audio parts (speakers, tweeter, 2 AMP)?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:58 AM   #19
BMWAUDIO
First Lieutenant
44
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Frozen Gray , 997 C4S
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ENCINO

iTrader: (1)

This would not be worth doing give me a call i can set you up with a nice helix match amp/processor and replacement speakers & subs from helix ,focal , rockford , or eton for a fraction of that price .



Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
I have been talking to couple vendor in taiwan as well as Malaysia who actually have completed this retrofit.

The cost is around $8000 USD for parts. But doable and no need to cut wires.

I am wondering how much would the past cost be in US?

Does anyone here that can help me to get P/N for all the audio parts (speakers, tweeter, 2 AMP)?
Appreciate 1
clee1982485.50

      04-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #20
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAUDIO View Post
This would not be worth doing give me a call i can set you up with a nice helix match amp/processor and replacement speakers & subs from helix ,focal , rockford , or eton for a fraction of that price .
can i get offer for all of those as well ...just curious about prices speciall for under seat woofers
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #21
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMo87 View Post
That's awesome!!!

Yeah definitely let me know how it turns out.
Uploads some pics if you get time, it would be cool!!
finally installed those speakers...they look and sound great.... definitely worth of buying... if I have time I will upload some video... all is plug and play
__________________
Appreciate 2
clee1982485.50
MoeMo87152.00

      05-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #22
aadum
Second Lieutenant
aadum's Avatar
Croatia
50
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Split,Croatia

iTrader: (0)

video

__________________
Appreciate 2
clee1982485.50
MoeMo87152.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST