BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020 Corvette Stingray

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #67
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
598
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Well done GM, I never thought I would be excited about a GM car, now they have done it twice in a row!!!

The timing should be right for me when the next Z06 (or whatever they call it) comes out.

The thing I like about 'these' cars is that they are CARS, you can drive them, you can leave them in a parking lot and not be stressed out about a bird pooping on it. If something does happen to it, or it needs some sort of work done, it still a Chevy.

Years ago, I bought a new black Porsche, I would only hand wash it, I would avoid taking it out of the garage if it was 'freshly detailed' I didn't drive it to work. It was no garage queen, I did track it and do a little auto cross with it.

My ZL1 gets driven every day, unless the rain is particularly terrible, I had one VERY scary drive to work one day.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1584.50

      07-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #68
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3056
Rep
8,096
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
This car is going to set the automotive world on fire!

Think about the performance we're talking about here - and this is for the BASE Stingray with 495HP from an "antiquated" pushrod V8! They stated 1.0g on all-season tires too.

Much of the speculation was the GM doesn't know what they're doing with a mid-engined layout. From the talk last night, they looked at it as a complete advantage that they took fully advantage of.

All this for what will be less than $100K fully spec'd is epic.
I'm assuming that the 3LT model will probably be close to $20K more than the base car, plus other options should keep it under the $100K mark.
NSX owners have to be feeling really stupid (yes, I still hate that car!)

What the hell is the Z06 and Zora (ZR1 replacement) going to be like?
The NSX is a hybrid that gets better gas mileage but for the price who cares.
Just comparing the NSX at 21/22 mpg to the C7 at 16/25, I'm not sure it's safe to say it will get better mileage than the C8. The NSX is a poorly executed car that had way too many chefs in the development kitchen.
Appreciate 1
b92314.50

      07-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #69
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
912
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Well done GM, I never thought I would be excited about a GM car, now they have done it twice in a row!!!

The timing should be right for me when the next Z06 (or whatever they call it) comes out.

The thing I like about 'these' cars is that they are CARS, you can drive them, you can leave them in a parking lot and not be stressed out about a bird pooping on it. If something does happen to it, or it needs some sort of work done, it still a Chevy.

Years ago, I bought a new black Porsche, I would only hand wash it, I would avoid taking it out of the garage if it was 'freshly detailed' I didn't drive it to work. It was no garage queen, I did track it and do a little auto cross with it.

My ZL1 gets driven every day, unless the rain is particularly terrible, I had one VERY scary drive to work one day.
Yeah, with the 305s on the 1LE hydroplaning and ruts are no joke!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #70
Rmtt
Major
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
1585
Rep
1,389
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
They mentioned last night that the cockpit is a little bigger. The guy said an inch more leg room.
My buddy who’s 6’ 4” about 260 fits comfortably in my C6. He liked driving it so much he made me an offer to buy it.

The new Corvette is going to have some marque makers lose sleep. I love my Vette but this one very well might persuade me to put one in the garage. I impatiently await reviews and track times.
Same here. I planned on moving to the C7 next as I always buy a generation behind......but a 2LT,3LT , Z-51 Optioned C8 is looking very tempting right now!
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee1511.00

      07-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #71
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5526
Rep
13,439
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The NSX is a hybrid that gets better gas mileage but for the price who cares.
$70K buys an awful lot of gasoline...
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 4
bimmer4561755.50
N54Yankee1511.00
b92314.50

      07-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #72
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5526
Rep
13,439
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny Blanco View Post
My next car.

impressive inside and out. Im shocked.

a Game changer.

It will damage sales of many brands... Bmw supra is killed now lol
But the interior sucks
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #73
baege
Captain
304
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

as a former c7 owner I am cautiously optimistic
going from a Porsche 981s to a c7 there were a lot of things about the c7 that didnt measure up to a Porsche
if they get those things corrected on the c8 this will be a game changer
if they dont the c8 will be what the Corvette has been for quite some time...an amazing value when metrics are only performance and looks...but more you get what you pay for when the subtle areas of driving enjoyment are examined
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #74
benny Blanco
Private
43
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: london

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #75
benny Blanco
Private
43
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: london

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #76
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2345
Rep
3,205
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Has GM itself actually announced that the base MSRP will be in the $60K range? From what I read a few months ago, it was going to MSRP in $75-85K range for a standard model.

I look forward to this car and will see how it fairs reliability wise. GM's Fiero effort was pretty dismal. Hopefully they've learned from that.

I hope to God you can get the C8 without that freaking wing. Americans just can't let go of the 1980s era pillar wings. At least the C8 isn't running chrome wheels.
__________________
Country over party
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #77
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
60
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I was toying with the idea of trading in my M235i for a Model 3 Performance since you can now get one for ~$50K out the door, but I'm just going to wait for this amazing thing now. I'll hope to get a lightly used 2LT/3LT Z51 Stingray around 2022-2023 when people will be trading theirs in for the Z06/ZR1/etc.
__________________
2016 M235i | Estoril Blue | Coral Red | 6MT
Tech | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | HK
M Perf. Gear Shift Knob, Parking Brake, Pedals, Carbon Interior
M Perf. Black Grilles | CF Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser | Lightweight Front Lip Spoiler | M Perf. Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #78
benny Blanco
Private
43
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: london

iTrader: (0)

Love this one

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #79
Humdizzle
Captain
659
Rep
766
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
How is this new though? Pound for pound, the C7 Corvette already destroys these cars too. I don't think the performance aspect of the C8 was ever going to be in question.

I'm just wondering how I feel about the looks. Will wait until I see it in person. But under 3s to 60 for a car of this category is just silly. Well done!
you're right its still the same basic corvette formula. But the big take away now is that its mid engine, which is superior in pretty much every way to a front engine layout. This car will have much more mechanical traction at low and high speeds, better braking, etc. Probably a much sharper turn in too.

The closest competitor would be the cayman. But at this price all you're getting is minimal options and a 4 cylinder with 300hp.

aside from the cayman the only mid engine options were from Ferrari, lambo, McLaren. Now you can get a new $60k LS based car with it. Guarantee people will be doing prochargers and bolt ons within the first year and getting to 800hp+ easily with good reliability.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #80
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5513
Rep
5,016
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny Blanco View Post
My next car.

impressive inside and out. Im shocked.

a Game changer.

It will damage sales of many brands... Bmw supra is killed now lol
But the interior sucks
I think being able to look over your shoulder and literally see the top of the engine is pretty damn cool. I see they even have an engine appearance option that illuminates the engine compartment. 🥰
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #81
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
60
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Has GM itself actually announced that the base MSRP will be in the $60K range? From what I read a few months ago, it was going to MSRP in $75-85K range for a standard model.

I look forward to this car and will see how it fairs reliability wise. GM's Fiero effort was pretty dismal. Hopefully they've learned from that.

I hope to God you can get the C8 without that freaking wing. Americans just can't let go of the 1980s era pillar wings. At least the C8 isn't running chrome wheels.
Yes, though you technically need the Z51 package to achieve the ~2.8s 0-60. I assume that package will push the MSRP above $60K. Still an amazing value proposition.
__________________
2016 M235i | Estoril Blue | Coral Red | 6MT
Tech | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | HK
M Perf. Gear Shift Knob, Parking Brake, Pedals, Carbon Interior
M Perf. Black Grilles | CF Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser | Lightweight Front Lip Spoiler | M Perf. Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #82
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
3,679
Posts

Drives: 2015 GTI, E86 Z4 3.0si Racecar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just comparing the NSX at 21/22 mpg to the C7 at 16/25, I'm not sure it's safe to say it will get better mileage than the C8. The NSX is a poorly executed car that had way too many chefs in the development kitchen.
mileage never even entered my mind. The NSX is overly complicated for the sake of being complicated. The performance "advantage" of the hybrid system doesn't seem to work out compared to its peers.
Now, you have a car that will more than likely be under $70K (Z51) that will be extremely comparative to the NSX in terms of sheer performance. The current Grand Sport is quicker around a track than the NSX. That's a major joke.
__________________
2015 GTI S, 6M, LP, Volk TE37SL 17x8.5, Michelin PSS 245/40, JRZ Coil-Overs, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE, SuperPro Control Arms, Remus Catback, IS38 Turbo, APR Stage 2+ Tune, APR DP/IC, CAI, Forge Turbo Blanket, Aero Force Gauge Pod, APR Boost Gauge, Kersher Front Lip, Short Shifter, Tyrolsport Deadset, Stoptech BBK, HPA Dogbone
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar
Appreciate 1
Red Bread3055.50

      07-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #83
Humdizzle
Captain
659
Rep
766
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
mileage never even entered my mind. The NSX is overly complicated for the sake of being complicated. The performance "advantage" of the hybrid system doesn't seem to work out compared to its peers.
Now, you have a car that will more than likely be under $70K (Z51) that will be extremely comparative to the NSX in terms of sheer performance. The current Grand Sport is quicker around a track than the NSX. That's a major joke.
not to mention there is no aftermarket for the NSX. what you see is what you get.

There will be a ton of power adders, tunes, exhausts, etc for the corvette.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1584.50

      07-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #84
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4369
Rep
2,372
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

This car is gonna FLY off the lots.... Literally and Figuraratively!
Appreciate 1
Red Bread3055.50

      07-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #85
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3056
Rep
8,096
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This car is gonna FLY off the lots.... Literally and Figuraratively!
Haha, yep. Cars and Coffee will never be the same.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #86
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5513
Rep
5,016
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
The whole time I'm watching the presentation I'm thinking there's no way it's going to start below $65k as I heard rumored. As my dad says, "shows how wrong you can be sometimes!" This car just shook the industry. I'm sure other car companies are meeting to discuss the impact as we speak.
__________________
Appreciate 1
TSM330i565.00

      07-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #87
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3056
Rep
8,096
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The whole time I'm watching the presentation I'm thinking there's no way it's going to start below $65k as I heard rumored. As my dad says, "shows how wrong you can be sometimes!" This car just shook the industry. I'm sure other car companies are meeting to discuss the impact as we speak.
Just imagine what a twin turbo, DOHC Z06 for five figures is going to do to the market.
Appreciate 2
swanson354.50
TSM330i565.00

      07-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #88
See5
Real Goon
See5's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Has GM itself actually announced that the base MSRP will be in the $60K range? From what I read a few months ago, it was going to MSRP in $75-85K range for a standard model.

I look forward to this car and will see how it fairs reliability wise. GM's Fiero effort was pretty dismal. Hopefully they've learned from that.

I hope to God you can get the C8 without that freaking wing. Americans just can't let go of the 1980s era pillar wings. At least the C8 isn't running chrome wheels.
Stretching pretty far to compare this to the Fiero in any way shape or fashion beside sit being made by GM and being a midengined 2 seater.

As for the wing, the base model is wingless.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh5526.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST