BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2020 M550 - first impression

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
GFK007
Lieutenant
195
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2014 m235i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Took delivery today. Admittedly, I was pretty skeptical of whether I'd be happy with the spec, but in the flesh I think it looks great.

I was shocked at how expensive wheel tire insurance is ($3,700), for three years, but bit the bullet given my car has the 688M rim.

Car is astonishingly quick off the line. It pulls like an absolute freight train (much harder than the sl63 I had a few years back). I can't imagine what an f90 feels like.

Steering feel is great as well, though you don't ever forget it's a big heavy car.

Not overly impressed with the Dakota leather, but I wanted cognac so made the sacrifice.

Had tint put on pre delivery, and added the cerium grey fender badges (oem) that are included on the European and Canadian cars.

Anyways - a few exterior pics: (not shown are the black kidney grilles).

Yet to take pics of the interior, but it's cognac with ash grey wood trim and ceramic controls - which look great, but show finger prints like crazy!
Attached Images
  
__________________
MG on CR M235i, mods to come...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
clee1982
Major
United_States
492
Rep
1,274
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's amazing how fast a non M car gets these days...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
NYCBMWFAN
Private
15
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2013 335Xi Coupe; 2016 Audi S6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
It's amazing how fast a non M car gets these days...
I'm in production so 8 weeks or so away. I'm likely not going to go w the Tire/Rim Protection because I'm going to swap to all seasons and increase sidewall by 5% and keep fingers crossed. 3700 doesn't seem like it makes sense unless you crack 2 Rims I guess?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Jagu
Second Lieutenant
Jagu's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550I XDrive
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Nice car. I have the same car.
The tire protection is an utter waste of money. IMO the better option is to buy the tire protection from Discount tires or a similar store for $40/tire. The rims can be repaired for $150 or just buy a new one for $600 and you'd never spend $3700.
Discount tires has replaced 8 tires for me in the past year and it was always hassle free
__________________
2018 M550i XDrive/Sapphire Black/Mocha/DHP/Executive Package/Cold Weather Package.
Appreciate 1
NHM55010.50

      09-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
GFK007
Lieutenant
195
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2014 m235i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Nice car. I have the same car.
The tire protection is an utter waste of money. IMO the better option is to buy the tire protection from Discount tires or a similar store for $40/tire. The rims can be repaired for $150 or just buy a new one for $600 and you'd never spend $3700.
Discount tires has replaced 8 tires for me in the past year and it was always hassle free
Pretty jarring to hear you have already replaced 8 tires in 12 months.

My worry was in regards to the rims. Cerium grey finish feels like it would be difficult to replicate for a body shop etc...

Unrelated: but I HIGHlY recommend everyone order the leather dash. Makes a huge difference for just $700.
__________________
MG on CR M235i, mods to come...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Have had the same car and wheel/tires for 18 mos - no tire issues (knock on wood). I did however buy the winter tore/wheel set by BMW and likely avoided the major issues from Nov-Mar with the high profile 19" winter tires and rims. The black winter rims also give the car a different look for part of the year which is a bonus

The leather dash and alcantra headliner were adds that helped make the interior. Also did the fender badges which really work on a dark car.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Since you have one the first 2020 M550's, can you confirm the car still has both resonators, unlike the M850 which shares the same engine? Easy to tell if the car cracks and mildly backfires while in sport mode. Suggest coding OFF the fake engine sound (ASD) to appreciate the cars real sounds.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
GFK007
Lieutenant
195
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2014 m235i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Since you have one the first 2020 M550's, can you confirm the car still has both resonators, unlike the M850 which shares the same engine? Easy to tell if the car cracks and mildly backfires while in sport mode. Suggest coding OFF the fake engine sound (ASD) to appreciate the cars real sounds.
Wish alcantara headliner was on offer when I placed my order.

Can confirm that the exhaust note (at least from the inside or the car) changes when in "sport mode."

Almost annoyed with myself for buying wheel and tire given that I'm going to either have to throw snow's on the 688's, or else buy a set of 684's for the winter.
__________________
MG on CR M235i, mods to come...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #9
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
91
Rep
1,469
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Since you have one the first 2020 M550's, can you confirm the car still has both resonators, unlike the M850 which shares the same engine? Easy to tell if the car cracks and mildly backfires while in sport mode. Suggest coding OFF the fake engine sound (ASD) to appreciate the cars real sounds.
Wish alcantara headliner was on offer when I placed my order.

Can confirm that the exhaust note (at least from the inside or the car) changes when in "sport mode."

Almost annoyed with myself for buying wheel and tire given that I'm going to either have to throw snow's on the 688's, or else buy a set of 684's for the winter.
You can likely cancel it in 30 days if it's from BMW directly. In some cases third party insurances can also be cancelled. Talk to your CA, if you are repeat customer it is in their interest so explore options for you, and if not, to keep you as a repeat customer.

This used to be the case, I once swapped out my insurance from BMW to third party that covered cosmetic damage and never used it. Granted it was a much cheaper car that yours!

Excellent choice on the color combo, wish they had nappa in cognac
__________________


2016 535i MSport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa
2014 335i MSport Mineral Gray Metallic, Coral Red Dakota
2011 328i Sedan. Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Almost annoyed with myself for buying wheel and tire given that I'm going to either have to throw snow's on the 688's, or else buy a set of 684's for the winter.
You will want to get a winter wheel/tire combo, not mont on those 20" wheels. I have the M Performance 19" Style 786M Black Winter Wheel/Tire package. You may also want to shop that tire insurance price - it seems steep. You still may want it even with a winter set - the insurance applies to that set also if purchased from BMW.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Alessandro
Major
Alessandro's Avatar
Serbia
76
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Since you have one the first 2020 M550's, can you confirm the car still has both resonators, unlike the M850 which shares the same engine? Easy to tell if the car cracks and mildly backfires while in sport mode. Suggest coding OFF the fake engine sound (ASD) to appreciate the cars real sounds.
one of the Forum Members posted this video

https://youtu.be/JZaSeGlWfd8
__________________
19 Audi RS5
15 Audi S5 GIAC Stage 2 white
11 E92 335is DCT FBO 441 whp silver
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
modthispny
Second Lieutenant
87
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
one of the Forum Members posted this video

https://youtu.be/JZaSeGlWfd8
yea by looks of it, has the M850i sound
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #13
GFK007
Lieutenant
195
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2014 m235i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Part of me admittedly thinks I should've stepped up and reached for an f90, not so much for the performance as for the aesthetics.

The m550, does look a little bit generic, that I can't deny.
__________________
MG on CR M235i, mods to come...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Part of me admittedly thinks I should've stepped up and reached for an f90, not so much for the performance as for the aesthetics.

The m550, does look a little bit generic, that I can't deny.
That can be a plus to many.

Keeps the teen Mustang jockeys who want to play away and also can be more subtle when in a business climate. While the bulging hood, interior bits and M5 badge are enviable to those in the know, the M550 offers much of the USABLE power, but in a more subtle version. Some feel even the M5 is too subtle, so there it is always something...
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 1
clee1982491.50

      09-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBMWFAN View Post
I'm in production so 8 weeks or so away. I'm likely not going to go w the Tire/Rim Protection because I'm going to swap to all seasons and increase sidewall by 5% and keep fingers crossed. 3700 doesn't seem like it makes sense unless you crack 2 Rims I guess?
My dealer suggested an Allstate tire/rim protection plan that was a lot less than the BMW one (though I forget the actual amount) and would cover whatever tires were on the car, so you're covered in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Part of me admittedly thinks I should've stepped up and reached for an f90, not so much for the performance as for the aesthetics.

The m550, does look a little bit generic, that I can't deny.
I had a hard time deciding between the M550 and the M5 when I was shopping. I went with the M5 partly for aesthetics, partly for having a little more manual control over some things, partly for the performance and partly because I've never had a car that ticked all my boxes and I decided to (even if only once) not compromise on what I want.

I was looking at a M550 that was nearly $90K, so the $110K for an M5 (as I outfitted it) wasn't much more of a stretch.
Appreciate 1
clee1982491.50

      09-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
riskmaker76
Lieutenant
116
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 440 xi MPPSK JB4
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Socialist People's State of NY - Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

I test drove a couple weeks ago...
Not nearly as loud as my 440 mppsk

Sounded good but still missing something ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
one of the Forum Members posted this video

https://youtu.be/JZaSeGlWfd8
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
772
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Discount tires has replaced 8 tires for me in the past year and it was always hassle free
How in the world do you do that in Atlanta? In NJ or other NE state with snow and potholes, sure, but in the sunny south? I've never had to replace a tire in my entire life and only ever lightly damaged a wheel cosmetically, never enough to get it out of round. And I've had plenty of fragile BMW and Porsche wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Part of me admittedly thinks I should've stepped up and reached for an f90, not so much for the performance as for the aesthetics.
That's an awful lot of money just for looks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
I was looking at a M550 that was nearly $90K, so the $110K for an M5 (as I outfitted it) wasn't much more of a stretch.
I stand corrected. If you must have all of the options on the 550, then I agree that the performance and aesthetics of the M5 are worth the slight premium.

I'm personally trying not to buy another $100K+ car ever again (that's why I passed on the M850i) but when I was at the dealer, I do admit to drooling a bit over an M5C sitting in the showroom.

And I have driven them and yes they are awesome.

OP: nice wheels. I like those side vent things, reduces some of the bling.
__________________
F87 (mine)
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 1
clee1982491.50

      09-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I stand corrected. If you must have all of the options on the 550, then I agree that the performance and aesthetics of the M5 are worth the slight premium.
Generally agree, however $20K is still a sizable premium that also gets you higher depreciation, insurance, tires and maintenance (out of warranty period).
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
bschack
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Mercedes E46 AMG
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

My new M550....

About to order my 2020 M550 and quite torn on 2 things:

1. Whether to get the 20s or the 19s....really want the 20s since those 688Ms look soooo nice, but afraid of the roads around here - I see you (OP) are also in Westchester - wondering your thoughts of the 20s on these NY roads.....also what your plans are for the winter

2. Considering the Frozen Black (matte) but have been scared away by what I've read regarding the upkeep - anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?



Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Took delivery today. Admittedly, I was pretty skeptical of whether I'd be happy with the spec, but in the flesh I think it looks great.

I was shocked at how expensive wheel tire insurance is ($3,700), for three years, but bit the bullet given my car has the 688M rim.

Car is astonishingly quick off the line. It pulls like an absolute freight train (much harder than the sl63 I had a few years back). I can't imagine what an f90 feels like.

Steering feel is great as well, though you don't ever forget it's a big heavy car.

Not overly impressed with the Dakota leather, but I wanted cognac so made the sacrifice.

Had tint put on pre delivery, and added the cerium grey fender badges (oem) that are included on the European and Canadian cars.

Anyways - a few exterior pics: (not shown are the black kidney grilles).

Yet to take pics of the interior, but it's cognac with ash grey wood trim and ceramic controls - which look great, but show finger prints like crazy!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #21
NYCBMWFAN
Private
15
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2013 335Xi Coupe; 2016 Audi S6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschack View Post
About to order my 2020 M550 and quite torn on 2 things:

1. Whether to get the 20s or the 19s....really want the 20s since those 688Ms look soooo nice, but afraid of the roads around here - I see you (OP) are also in Westchester - wondering your thoughts of the 20s on these NY roads.....also what your plans are for the winter

2. Considering the Frozen Black (matte) but have been scared away by what I've read regarding the upkeep - anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?



Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Took delivery today. Admittedly, I was pretty skeptical of whether I'd be happy with the spec, but in the flesh I think it looks great.

I was shocked at how expensive wheel tire insurance is ($3,700), for three years, but bit the bullet given my car has the 688M rim.

Car is astonishingly quick off the line. It pulls like an absolute freight train (much harder than the sl63 I had a few years back). I can't imagine what an f90 feels like.

Steering feel is great as well, though you don't ever forget it's a big heavy car.

Not overly impressed with the Dakota leather, but I wanted cognac so made the sacrifice.

Had tint put on pre delivery, and added the cerium grey fender badges (oem) that are included on the European and Canadian cars.

Anyways - a few exterior pics: (not shown are the black kidney grilles).

Yet to take pics of the interior, but it's cognac with ash grey wood trim and ceramic controls - which look great, but show finger prints like crazy!
For what it's worth I went with 20's on my order. I'm going to upgrade sidewall +5 as soon as I get delivery. A few members have done it and say it works great.

I did test drive the 20's on Northern Blvd though and it wasn't as rough as I thought it would be but it's possible to pop em regardless given the NYC streets.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #22
bschack
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Mercedes E46 AMG
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

That seems like the way to go - so what tire size would that be with +5?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBMWFAN View Post
For what it's worth I went with 20's on my order. I'm going to upgrade sidewall +5 as soon as I get delivery. A few members have done it and say it works great.

I did test drive the 20's on Northern Blvd though and it wasn't as rough as I thought it would be but it's possible to pop em regardless given the NYC streets.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST