BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Driving long miles for girlfriend (sigh)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #23
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
155
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Bmw were meant to be driven you mean right?

50k miles one year whoa thats most miles ive seen in a year. What kind of maintenance cost happened other then 5 oil changes lol

Im guessing you did more then once a week.

Good memories which is pricessless even if it turns out to he ex
Ya typo, struggle is real typing on this phone.

Yep 50k! AND I bought it right when it hit 100k! I averaged over 1000 miles a week. Felt like I was changing the oil every other month cause I was! Fell in love with it, was actually looking for a KIA and test drove it, had every option from the leather dash to comfort sport seats to active everything, hud.. AND it was cheaper then the same year KIA..I looked up why...The N63 but I do all my own work....needed new CCV everything and I replaced the turbos, made my own catch an setup to milk every mile out of the shot valve guide seals...finally caved and doing this right now along with injectors, coils, plugs, hpfps, etc. But at 150k miles to be expected. Cylinders and bearing surfaces still look great, going to see if I can get another 100k out of it...or blow it up in the process because I'm adding a jb4....high milage N63 with a JB4....what could go wrong? Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #24
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Bmw were meant to be driven you mean right?

50k miles one year whoa thats most miles ive seen in a year. What kind of maintenance cost happened other then 5 oil changes lol

Im guessing you did more then once a week.

Good memories which is pricessless even if it turns out to he ex
Ya typo, struggle is real typing on this phone.

Yep 50k! AND I bought it right when it hit 100k! I averaged over 1000 miles a week. Felt like I was changing the oil every other month cause I was! Fell in love with it, was actually looking for a KIA and test drove it, had every option from the leather dash to comfort sport seats to active everything, hud.. AND it was cheaper then the same year KIA..I looked up why...The N63 but I do all my own work....needed new CCV everything and I replaced the turbos, made my own catch an setup to milk every mile out of the shot valve guide seals...finally caved and doing this right now along with injectors, coils, plugs, hpfps, etc. But at 150k miles to be expected. Cylinders and bearing surfaces still look great, going to see if I can get another 100k out of it...or blow it up in the process because I'm adding a jb4....high milage n63 with a jb4....what could go wrong? Lol
Whoa i wish i can do all that myself . I did like exhaust changing etc and hid lights on my previous car but not sure about your situation. Did you just get afternarket parts and do youtube or something? And how did you find out which products needed to change? Was it like oil change and then did quick diagnostic and it came up?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #25
Narcosis
The dude abides
Narcosis's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (2)

Take the train?
Appreciate 2
clee1982488.50
vreihen16704.50

      10-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #26
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
155
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Whoa i wish i can do all that myself . I did like exhaust changing etc and hid lights on my previous car but not sure about your situation. Did you just get afternarket parts and do youtube or something? And how did you find out which products needed to change? Was it like oil change and then did quick diagnostic and it came up?
Its really not that hard, the n63 looks VERY intimidating at first but really its quite easy to work on EXCEPT for the intake manifold...have to pull the head or drop the engine for that...Everything else is pretty easy...just a TON of work to get to the part you need and thus why its so expensive to take it in...labor hours kill ya. Yep Youtube is a great help also visting the newtis site for the official BMW info. Just take it slow, take lots of pics, and double and triple check all your work and really anybody can work on these cars. Does takes alot of special tools and patience (and a second car cause a valve stem seal replacement is 50+ hour job!).

I am taking my time and going to clean up the carbon on the pistons and heads while I have it off. They are nasty after 150k. I will do a write up the catch cans when I have it back up. BMW only applies -.95 psi negative back pressure which is dumb. I put in adjustable valves and set it to a proper -10psi. Nice boost in off-idle and part throttle performance plus allowed me to get 1500 miles per quart of oil burned with the crappy valve seals vs 700 with the stock CCV setup. Only doing them now as I was to crank the boost and oil/carbon in your combustion chambers at high boost = bad things happen!

If you are really interested in making your own CC setup, you can read my post more about it here: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...3&postcount=14
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
FCobra942424.50

      10-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
895
Rep
1,650
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

highway miles won't hurt your X3. If you keep it maintained, it should still last you a long time. In fact, the highway driving may actually help balance out the car usage.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #28
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
155
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Back on topic to the OP: One of the best memories of my life is this rather simple yet AMAZING one I had last year:

Driving her back in the X5 after a great night of dinner and conversation, going ridiculous speeds on the new 303 freeway with barely anyone else on the road...but its a BMW so the ride was rock solid and smooth as could be...gently stroking and kissing her hand, looking over at each other in anticipation of the amazing night of what was to come....we felt like the only two people in the world... (I'll save you kids all the X-rated details that followed)... Trust me when I say: Doing that in a beater Mazda would have completely changed the entire night...Drive your BMW brother, its worth the miles...

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 10-11-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #29
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Whoa i wish i can do all that myself . I did like exhaust changing etc and hid lights on my previous car but not sure about your situation. Did you just get afternarket parts and do youtube or something? And how did you find out which products needed to change? Was it like oil change and then did quick diagnostic and it came up?
Its really not that hard, the n63 looks VERY intimidating at first but really its quite easy to work on EXCEPT for the intake manifold...have to pull the head or drop the engine for that...Everything else is pretty easy...just a TON of work to get to the part you need and thus why its so expensive to take it in...labor hours kill ya. Yep Youtube is a great help also visting the newtis site for the official BMW info. Just take it slow, take lots of pics, and double and triple check all your work and really anybody can work on these cars. Does takes alot of special tools and patience (and a second car cause a valve stem seal replacement is 50+ hour job!).

I am taking my time and going to clean up the carbon on the pistons and heads while I have it off. They are nasty after 150k. I will do a write up the catch cans when I have it back up. BMW only applies -.95 psi negative back pressure which is dumb. I put in adjustable valves and set it to a proper -10psi. Nice boost in off-idle and part throttle performance plus allowed me to get 1500 miles per quart of oil burned with the crappy valve seals vs 700 with the stock CCV setup. Only doing them now as I was to crank the boost and oil/carbon in your combustion chambers at high boost = bad things happen!

If you are really interested in making your own CC setup, you can read my post more about it here: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...8;postcount=14
Maybe you should be mechanic for side hustle lol make it look easy. My car has 36k warranty on it still. The problems you mentioned im guessing isnt covered right if it happened to me or does it?

I should get familiar with my car more and start learning how to fox things on my own. This party parts on bmw can be hard to find. Oem is quite pricey. Then the labor charges lol. Of course knew this before getting one and was hoping ill be lucky one to have it long time without much issue

Did you get your x5 at certain miles? And no carfaxx issues
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
155
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Maybe you should be mechanic for side hustle lol make it look easy. My car has 36k warranty on it still. The problems you mentioned im guessing isnt covered right if it happened to me or does it?

I should get familiar with my car more and start learning how to fox things on my own. This party parts on bmw can be hard to find. Oem is quite pricey. Then the labor charges lol. Of course knew this before getting one and was hoping ill be lucky one to have it long time without much issue

Did you get your x5 at certain miles? And no carfaxx issues
Actually BMW has an extended warranty for most of the stuff I replaced up to 125K. I picked it up right when it had 100K, super cheap as nobody wants a high mileage N63 lol. I didnt know about the warranty when I did mine...=(

Protip: Remove you engine cover, remove the rear partition rubber seal, trim your rear rain deflectors 1/2 inch to allow some hot air to escape the engine compartment (only a half inch, 1inch tops no more), drive only freeway if possible, avoid stop and go traffic like the plague. You will literally get double the miles out of your engine plastic and rubber bits (CCV lines, vacuum lines, etc). ALL N63 issues are because of the piss poor thermal management of the engine compartment. High temps = plastic and rubber wear out really fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
rlmesq
Major
872
Rep
1,318
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just put this on repeat and you'll be okay.


Last edited by rlmesq; 10-11-2019 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Removed lyrics from post. Video is captioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #32
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Just put this on repeat and you'll be okay.



I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Don't need no phone at all
We've got a thing that's called radar love
We've got a wave in the air, radar love
The radio is playing some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
The road has got me hypnotized
And I'm speedin' into a new sunrise
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sends her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a thing that's called radar love
We've got a light in the sky, radar love
No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go
And the line of cars drove down real slow
And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
And the newsman sang his same song
Oh one more radar lover gone
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sends her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a thing that's called radar love
We've got a light in the sky
We've got a thing that's called radar love
We've got a thing that's called radar love
Lol nice
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #33
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Maybe you should be mechanic for side hustle lol make it look easy. My car has 36k warranty on it still. The problems you mentioned im guessing isnt covered right if it happened to me or does it?

I should get familiar with my car more and start learning how to fox things on my own. This party parts on bmw can be hard to find. Oem is quite pricey. Then the labor charges lol. Of course knew this before getting one and was hoping ill be lucky one to have it long time without much issue

Did you get your x5 at certain miles? And no carfaxx issues
Actually BMW has an extended warranty for most of the stuff I replaced up to 125K. I picked it up right when it had 100K, super cheap as nobody wants a high mileage N63 lol. I didnt know about the warranty when I did mine...=(

Protip: Remove you engine cover, remove the rear partition rubber seal, trim your rear rain deflectors 1/2 inch to allow some hot air to escape the engine compartment (only a half inch, 1inch tops no more), drive only freeway if possible, avoid stop and go traffic like the plague. You will literally get double the miles out of your engine plastic and rubber bits (CCV lines, vacuum lines, etc). ALL N63 issues are because of the piss poor thermal management of the engine compartment. High temps = plastic and rubber wear out really fast.
Mine is not x5 its x3 still fits the mold? You got lot of good mileage after 100k and something tills me all that 50k in one year puts lot of pressure which translates to quicker breakage?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #34
rlmesq
Major
872
Rep
1,318
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I have a gf who moved about one hour twenty minutes away and each week I visit and spend all day with her.
If you lived in Southern California or the Bay area, it could be difficult to find a girlfriend who didn't live at least that far away.

For that matter, when I was first dating my wife, she lived two and a half hours away.... but I live in a semi-rural area and prefer women with teeth.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer15072.50
FCobra942424.50

      10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #35
Rmtt
Major
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,432
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

So where's the problem?

Every GF I had when I was dating and resowing my oats that lived more than 30 minutes away typically drove to me.

Hell....some of them would even beat me home on Friday afternoon if they were coming over for a couple of days.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #36
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I have a gf who moved about one hour twenty minutes away and each week I visit and spend all day with her.
If you lived in Southern California or the Bay area, it could be difficult to find a girlfriend who didn't live at least that far away.

For that matter, when I was first dating my wife, she lived two and a half hours away.... but I live in a semi-rural area and prefer women with teeth.
Thats encouraging thumbs up
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
Zara
First Lieutenant
United_States
308
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Cars are meant to be driven so I would drive what you like to drive. But I'm with Rmtt, all my girls that have a car and are able to get around usually just come to my place without even asking. The ones that didn't have a way to get around, I would just drive to them or order them an uber. If she has a car, then let her come and crash at your place from time to time.
__________________
2014 335i 6MT /// Mineral Gray - Red Coral
| M Perf Spoiler | M Perf Lip & Diffuser | M Perf Grilles | M Perf Side Splitters | M Perf CF & Alcantra Interior Trim |
| Wagner Evo II FMIC | VRSF DP | AA CP | CTS Turbo Intake | MHD Custom Tune | H&R Sports | Bilstein B8s |
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1703.00

      10-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
BdSM n54iS
Colonel
BdSM n54iS's Avatar
United_States
1565
Rep
2,651
Posts

Drives: In front of flashing lights
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pulled over on the side of the road

iTrader: (6)

Is she dating your bimmer or you??
__________________
'11 335iS MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Suspension Shit | Apex ARC-8 | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+
Appreciate 1
MKSixer15072.50

      10-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #39
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1972
Rep
5,501
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
1st it's just an X3, nothing special sorry to break it to you.

2nd I did the long distance relationship F that. Never again. Mine was 2 hours with no traffic, usually more, and right through a major north east city I could not avoid. Arriving late on Friday, leaving on Sundays or super early Monday morning, fuck that noise.

3rd the chick purposely moved 1.5h away from you. You being the sucker you are drive to her constantly. Why does she not come to you? Make her ass drive.

4th She is going to start banging someone closer, you might as well ditch her a do the same. If she was going to be long term or cared about you she would not have moved. She probably did it for money or a job. It sucks to hear this but move on man.

5th Only suckers or the very wealthy buy new cars, which one are you?

6th Dump the ho and find a new hole to stick your dick in.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15072.50

      10-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #40
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
1st it's just an X3, nothing special sorry to break it to you.

2nd I did the long distance relationship F that. Never again. Mine was 2 hours with no traffic, usually more, and right through a major north east city I could not avoid. Arriving late on Friday, leaving on Sundays or super early Monday morning, fuck that noise.

3rd the chick purposely moved 1.5h away from you. You being the sucker you are drive to her constantly. Why does she not come to you? Make her ass drive.

4th She is going to start banging someone closer, you might as well ditch her a do the same. If she was going to be long term or cared about you she would not have moved. She probably did it for money or a job. It sucks to hear this but move on man.

5th Only suckers or the very wealthy buy new cars, which one are you?

6th Dump the ho and find a new hole to stick your dick in.
Lol funny and partial trust post ill take it
Appreciate 2
Torgus1971.50
MKSixer15072.50

      10-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #41
nakamuru
First Lieutenant
63
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
Take the train?
Midnight train?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer15072.50

      10-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #42
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
3445
Rep
3,293
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
2015 BMW X5  [5.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [5.00]
Like most people here have said, take the X3. Theses are meant to be driven and enjoyed, especially with the people you care for.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1571
Rep
2,396
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just thinking out loud, you’re not driving a brick of gold that’s going to appreciate. A car is made to drive, not look at and preserve and will definitely depreciate, so enjoy it while you have it.

As far as the GF is concerned, if this is what she’s like as a GF, it won’t get any better after you’re married (if that’s what you’re considering at some point). If she can’t appreciate that you are trying to save money or it simply makes you happier or doesn’t appreciate that you are making the drive.....then it’s time to find a GF who does and preferably lives closer.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #44
TrevorM3
Major General
1339
Rep
6,013
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

how old are you?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST