BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions My first 5 series is on order.

09-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

My first 5 series is on order.

I have just ordered my First 5 Series, 530d Msport in Carbon Black. changing over from my 4 series GC 428i which I loved to drive and still do.
I have kept the options at a minimum at the moment, just split and fold seats and sun protection.

First reason is I'm tight on my budget and adding anything will require sacrifices elsewhere, also I've been burnt before in dealers where I have added this that and another because it sounded good, then never used them.

I'm considering adding the Harmon/Kardon sound upgrade as it's the one disappointment in the 428, standard sound system. (its not very good). I have not seen any reviews for this system so just wonder if anyone recommends this not inconsiderable option.

Also was looking at the display key, but get the feeling you can everything it does on our phone.

As I have never owned a 5 series previous is there any one options I really should be looking at ahead off all others?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Congrats. I am moving from a 430d M Sport to a 530d M Sport. So, quite similar to you.

I know options could sometimes be a total waste of money. However, there are few that I think you should consider.

- Enhanced Bluetooth: I've seen few posts that suggest without it, functionality is quite limited.
- Remote services: If I'm not mistaken you'll need this to use the phone app.
- Head up display

I got a great deal by going via CarWow. So put all that saving into options. Sounds silly I know but just couldn't resist it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
I have just ordered my First 5 Series, 530d Msport in Carbon Black. changing over from my 4 series GC 428i which I loved to drive and still do.
I have kept the options at a minimum at the moment, just split and fold seats and sun protection.

First reason is I'm tight on my budget and adding anything will require sacrifices elsewhere, also I've been burnt before in dealers where I have added this that and another because it sounded good, then never used them.

I'm considering adding the Harmon/Kardon sound upgrade as it's the one disappointment in the 428, standard sound system. (its not very good). I have not seen any reviews for this system so just wonder if anyone recommends this not inconsiderable option.

Also was looking at the display key, but get the feeling you can everything it does on our phone.

As I have never owned a 5 series previous is there any one options I really should be looking at ahead off all others?

Thanks in advance
Do you get much sun in Wales ;-) I'd ditch that in favour of some of the options I mentioned.
Appreciate 1
Pugger22.50
      09-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Hey Pugger, congrats on becoming a 5-series owner, I did so for the first time 3 months ago and not one second of regret since! Absolutely adore my car.

Trying to advise re options is always tricky as everyone has their own priorities. For example, I do not have the remotest interest in technology, the car changing lanes for me, parking for me, warning me I've driving like a fool (I know it already), warming or massaging or wiping my backside etc.

To try to be more positive, I would 100% recommend:

- Head-Up Display
- HK sound system (don't think the B&W is worth it), with pro-navigation
- Adaptive LED lights (with full-beam assist)

You would benefit from all of those items most days.

With every other option, I asked myself the question "how often would I actually use it?" and I usually came to the same, honest conclusion.....

With these kind of purchases, you spend the money and the pain is once, but the enjoyment is for ever!

Best wishes.
      09-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks both for the replies.

Really good point on the sun protection (and not very often is the answer!), I haven't got it on my 4 Series and never missed it, thanks for the heads up on the Blu-tooth will definitely look at this.

As for extras I agree its always tough giving advice but thanks for the ones mentioned. I think the sound system is a must, I did look at the adaptive LED, as its easy to sell to the wife as it a safety feature. Never had the heads up previous, but it was on the test drive car. Found it really weird, but the sales guy did say once you used it, you will always spec it.

Thanks again both.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

I too was on a budget for my order unfortunately.
I had a demo car for a few days which was loaded with extras, most of which I wouldn't bother about.
I liked the idea of the head up display, but it gave me a sore head, so I turned it off.
The display key is a bit of a gimmick I think, and it's huge! Plus you'd really want to have the wireless charging if you spec the key, otherwise you'll have to plug it in to keep changing it up, which again is more money.
I'd definitely spec the additional 12v socket which gives you another outlet and USB in the armrest as well as a 12v in the boot, it's only £45 so well worth it.
I'd definitely go for the HK sound system too.
I added both of those, sports seats and black shadowline trim (which you will have on yours anyway as it's an m sport) and a reversing camera as I've found it useful on my current car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

concur about display key. spend £60 for temote services instead which will allow you to send addresses to yr car and see where it is as we?l as check how much fuel is left and lock it remotely.
if you dont need any of that then skip it but it is only £60.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

I would definitely add lumbar support, shocking that it's not included. "Only" £225.

Might be worth having the rear camera. It's a long wide car with so-so rear visibility.

What colour leather are you going for ? Ivory is stunning against carbon black exterior, and if you are going for that, fineline trim works better than standard MSport rhombicle IMHO.

And I would also ditch the sun protection glass. It's annoyed me on both cars I've had it on, especially the reduced visibility when parking/manoeuvring at night.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks everyone, for all the advice, its much appreciated.
Thanks for 12v option would have missed that and the 60 for connected service, sure that came as standard on my 428, but hey.

So here's my probably not final changes!

530d M Sport Saloon
Carbon Black
Ivory White Dakota Leather
Aluminium Rhombicle interior trim with Pearl Chrome trim finish

Split Fold seats
Harman/Kardon sound system
Remote services
12V Power sockets
Adaptive LED Headlights
Lumber support

Thinking of the parking assistant camera also as I have managed to reverse my 428 into my gate doors on numerous occasions.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats,
Display Key is a must have for me as well as HUD. It's just size of a Nokia 8810 with a bigger screen without being too loud
I also had to remove a couple of options mostly toy , gimmicks .I must admit despite being an ardent Display Key Fan it's a gimmick too but I enjoy its convenience and have a quite use of it .Battery lasts more more than 2 weeks even if no use at all. Baltimore to Portsmouth may be in a ship distance
I'm not an audiophile that's why I don't see a point of forking out couple of $$$$ in it but in the same way some may say spending a wireless charging along with the Display Key is a waste of money .
Another function I like a lot and very useful than almond not almond almost anything else is that Virtual Pedal or Foot Wave Open The Trunk . It's official name escapes my memory .I like it but I don't think it's a standalone option however very useful when your hands full of paraphernerlia ,paramobohemia errrr paraphernalia yes that's it
Adaptive Led Lights , for looks alone I would buy these
Congrats
Happy Waiting
      09-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #11
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Adaptive Led Lights , for looks alone I would buy these
Congrats
Happy Waiting
Hey Nivarox,

What's the difference in the look of Adaptive Led lights and regular Led light? I initially had this option but took it out. I've still got time to change.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:25 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Hey Nivarox,

What's the difference in the look of Adaptive Led lights and regular Led light? I initially had this option but took it out. I've still got time to change.

Cheers
Std LED on the left, ICON LED (lighting package) on the right

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:43 AM   #13
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Hey Nivarox,

Cheers
The message should help you decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Thanks for posting it for me ,much appreciated
      09-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Lol, no problem
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #15
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep

Pugger,

Adaptive (ICON) LED looks so much sexier, what other reason do you need ?

Please take HUD, it's amazing. You don't notice it's there until your brain suddenly thinks of it, then it seems to appear out of nowhere! Good for re-sale too I would imagine.

I know spending other people's money is easy but..........

Look at or test as many showroom cars as possible, with a trusted companion!

When speccing your new car, enjoy the journey as well as the destination
      09-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #16
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Nivarox,

Cheers

Quote:

Thank you both. I got confused by what the website says as the standard lights are LEDs on G30. UK website shows Adaptive lights cost £490 vs Adaptive Icon lights costing £1.195. ICON lights look really classy but not sure I could add another grand
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #17
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks again all. Its is tough with the options and as I work in Marketing I congratulate these car companies in how they package and promote these options. I keep needing to reel myself in.

As with everything budgeting can easily go out the window, so I'm trying to be realistic and pick options I know I will use.

On adaptive headlights I have gone for the Adaptive Icons! Easier to sell to the wife as I can sell it to her as a safety feature.

Roger M I had the Headsup in the test car, it was neat but maybe I need to take another look at as this and the rear view camera are my ??? at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:50 AM   #18
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again all. Its is tough with the options and as I work in Marketing I congratulate these car companies in how they package and promote these options. I keep needing to reel myself in.

As with everything budgeting can easily go out the window, so I'm trying to be realistic and pick options I know I will use.

On adaptive headlights I have gone for the Adaptive Icons! Easier to sell to the wife as I can sell it to her as a safety feature.

Roger M I had the Headsup in the test car, it was neat but maybe I need to take another look at as this and the rear view camera are my ??? at this point.
Don't see necessity for rear-view camera, I have mirrors in my car and I park very slowly.

There you go, I just saved you some money.....
      09-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #19
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you both. I got confused by what the website says as the standard lights are LEDs on G30. UK website shows Adaptive lights cost £490 vs Adaptive Icon lights costing £1.195. ICON lights look really classy but not sure I could add another grand
Its hard isn't it? everyone has a different target budget AND different priorities so what we recommend might not work for you. BUT If you can find a way to make ICONs happen I doubt you would regret it for a second!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #20
dicky.hillary
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520D SE

The HK is definitely worth getting. Don't worry about spec'ing Remote Services at build, you can add it later - this is what I'm doing. It's a disgrace that Lumbar isn't standard but it's another worthy add-on.

I went into the dealer with 3 quotes : Broadspeed, Drive the Deal and Coast to Coast. The best of which was Drive the Deal which the dealer matched. Although you have to screen shot the Drive the Deal quote as they're coded the page so the pricing won't print unless you pay them a fee!

Hope that helps / Makes sense

Current : 2022 G05 X45e
Previous : G30 520D SE / F10 520D SE / F31 320 M-Sport Touring / E92 320D SE Coupe
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #21
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky.hillary View Post
Although you have to screen shot the Drive the Deal quote as they're coded the page so the pricing won't print unless you pay them a fee!
They are getting wise to our tricks!
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      09-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Its hard isn't it? everyone has a different target budget AND different priorities so what we recommend might not work for you. BUT If you can find a way to make ICONs happen I doubt you would regret it for a second!
Tell me about it. I've changed options twice since the order was confirmed. I'm wondering whether they are keeping my order at 1100 until I end up putting every conceivable option
Appreciate 0