BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions EU proposing speed limiters on cars from 2022

03-27-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

EU proposing speed limiters on cars from 2022

Reported in the news today, the EU are proposing that cars from 2022 will have automatic speed limiters .

Plenty to discuss here I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

But now while stocks last
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

I just have a horrible feeling in the bottom of my stomach that the days of fun driving are coming to an end.

I have a really bad feeling about this and suspect this really may happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
pre-2022 car values will skyrocket just like american pre-ban automatic weapons.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes there could be a rush for cars in 2021 . I think it has the potential to kill sales or larger engine cars overnight in 2022.

If it's relying on the technology that we have in the g30 today then it won't work. An example driving on the m25 my car states the speed limit is 70 unless the overhead gantries state something else in which case it displays that speed.
However the flaw is that there a road parallel to motorway that has a 40mph limit which the car camera picks up on and displays that.

So in this scenario you'd have a car limited to 40 when everyone else is doing 70. That's going to be fun!

I just really hope this doesn't occur.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 04:44 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

2 details which seem to buried in the media stories are (1) the system will be switchable by the driver, so like auto stop/start, you could just turn it off every-time you start the car if so inclined and (2) when activated, you can still exceed the limit by pressing down hard on the accelerator - much like the speed limit feature in our cars now.

So it seems more a case of "it will be mandatory to fit a speed limiting system in all cars but it won't be mandatory for drivers to use it"; that's just not as catchy a headline though is it.

I think there is a massive difference between forcing manufacturers to install the tech, and forcing its use to be mandatory - if its the former, then I'm not overly worried; just more bloatware on cars but we are used to that. If its the latter, then I'll be concerned. The fact its switchable gives me hope.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-27-2019, 04:46 AM   #7
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes there could be a rush for cars in 2021 . I think it has the potential to kill sales or larger engine cars overnight in 2022.

If it's relying on the technology that we have in the g30 today then it won't work. An example driving on the m25 my car states the speed limit is 70 unless the overhead gantries state something else in which case it displays that speed.
However the flaw is that there a road parallel to motorway that has a 40mph limit which the car camera picks up on and displays that.

So in this scenario you'd have a car limited to 40 when everyone else is doing 70. That's going to be fun!

I just really hope this doesn't occur.

this is really annoying for me so it leads me to just ignore the speed limit on the dash unless I'm in an unfamiliar area.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep

Ah that's better if we can switch it off.
Could argue the g30 is already there in that case.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Ah that's better if we can switch it off.
Could argue the g30 is already there in that case.
I don't have speed limit info on my car, but I assume you can activate it to limit you to the road in question at all times? If so, then I guess it will operate much like that except it will probably default to 'on', and require turning off - rather than the reverse situation as it is now.

If (and its a big IF) thats the case, and its a simple one button job to deactivate it, I will not be too bothered at all.

Primarily, my problem will always be when the driver has all choice removed from them. If I still have the choice but it is just a little bit inconvenient similar to having to press the auto/stop start button, I can live with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I believe that the car already has a speed limiter set for 149MPH
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
2 details which seem to buried in the media stories are (1) the system will be switchable by the driver, so like auto stop/start, you could just turn it off every-time you start the car if so inclined and (2) when activated, you can still exceed the limit by pressing down hard on the accelerator - much like the speed limit feature in our cars now.

So it seems more a case of "it will be mandatory to fit a speed limiting system in all cars but it won't be mandatory for drivers to use it"; that's just not as catchy a headline though is it.

I think there is a massive difference between forcing manufacturers to install the tech, and forcing its use to be mandatory - if its the former, then I'm not overly worried; just more bloatware on cars but we are used to that. If its the latter, then I'll be concerned. The fact its switchable gives me hope.
It's going to be switchable @ the start, but at 2024 ALL cars with GPS will be fitted at MOT time with it, the new M3 coming out this year will have this built in, so ALL cars from next year will IMO have it built in, it's just when they decide to make it compulsory to have it on the end for the high end fast cars, I just can't see the likes of Ferrari/Bentley/Aston/AMG/ BMW M standing for it as sales will just disappear, it will not be worth spending good money on a 70 MPH car. "yes sir I'm afraid your Bentley will only do 70 MPH anywhere in Europe", then stick it I'll buy a KIA.
      03-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep

Agree those marques will be hardest hit.
I hate these rules being made by non enthusiasts who just see a car as a white goods getting you from A to B. That's fair enough for a lot of people but there are many out here who do enjoy driving and let's be honest here, how many people drive to the speed limit?

The issue is driving standards but that's difficult to be policed where as something like this is very black and white and relatively easy to administer although still not convinced the technology is good enough yet anyway.

Inappropriate speed is the issue not just speed as such .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Going to be fun/dangerous overtaking a car doing 45mph in a 60mph zone for example.

Will make driving on single carriage way roads very boring because you will not be able to overtake, unless ALL cars have to travel at the speed limit instead of dawdling along.
      03-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

Agree those marques will be hardest hit.
I hate these rules being made by non enthusiasts who just see a car as a white goods getting you from A to B. That's fair enough for a lot of people but there are many out here who do enjoy driving and let's be honest here, how many people drive to the speed limit?

The issue is driving standards but that's difficult to be policed where as something like this is very black and white and relatively easy to administer although still not convinced the technology is good enough yet anyway.

Inappropriate speed is the issue not just speed as such .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
This is more a case of a sensational headline than the reality. News outlets need them for clicks and to sell copies.

There's a clear case to allow for a driver to override a system. In fact the article states exactly that's how these systems will be implemented. In many ways it's no different to how you can override the adaptive cruise control by putting the foot down and getting closer to a vehicle in the front.

Ultimately lawmakers are people and sense will prevail. There are quite a few other safety systems that'll be mandated as part of this change. Unfortunately all that's lost in a sensational headline.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

What worries me more is the proposal in there (apparently) that all cars will have a black box which records all driver input, speed and so on. So whilst the system is switchable and you can over-ride it, if you do that and then crash I don't like to think about the consequences for the driver. Equally I don't know what is already recorded and what engineers could access through current ECU and data logging etc... so this could be a moot point.

My view, as others have expressed, is that this will make 2020 and 20201 cars very valuable indeed unless there is some sort of retrofit required for older cars (which I doubt). My plan is therefore to save up, by a 2021 M5 and then enjoy! No-one will want a high performance car with a "spy" built in.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
What worries me more is the proposal in there (apparently) that all cars will have a black box which records all driver input, speed and so on. So whilst the system is switchable and you can over-ride it, if you do that and then crash I don't like to think about the consequences for the driver. Equally I don't know what is already recorded and what engineers could access through current ECU and data logging etc... so this could be a moot point.
That's the real worry I'd say. There are already calls to share this in real time, not least with insurers.

Imagine the individual premiums I'd get when I'm around driving my M3 an early Sunday morning..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #18
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

The "Intelligent Speed Assistance" software uses a combination of GPS, sign-recognition cameras, and maps to work out whether a vehicle is passing the local speed limit. It's just a matter of time before you automatically get a speeding ticket. 🤬
Vehicles under the proposal would also be required to have "Automated Emergency Braking" - designed to detect pedestrians and cyclists and brake accordingly. The proposal also includes a rule meant to make it harder to drink and drive.
http://www.businessinsider.com/eu-fi...er-2022-2019-3
      03-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
To quote Sammy Hagar, "I Can't Drive 55!"
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #20
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
To quote Sammy Hagar, "I Can't Drive 55!"
      03-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
pre-2022 car values will skyrocket just like american pre-ban automatic weapons.
You mean SEMI-autos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post

My view, as others have expressed, is that this will make 2020 and 20201 cars very valuable indeed unless there is some sort of retrofit required for older cars (which I doubt). My plan is therefore to save up, by a 2021 M5 and then enjoy! No-one will want a high performance car with a "spy" built in.
Been done here. A while ago (I don't remember when) a girl in the north east was charged with manslaughter when she lost control of her SUV on black ice, hit a tree and her passenger was killed. The "authorities" used the "black box" information to charge her. She wasn't speeding, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
The "Intelligent Speed Assistance" software uses a combination of GPS, sign-recognition cameras, and maps to work out whether a vehicle is passing the local speed limit. It's just a matter of time before you automatically get a speeding ticket. 🤬
Vehicles under the proposal would also be required to have "Automated Emergency Braking" - designed to detect pedestrians and cyclists and brake accordingly. The proposal also includes a rule meant to make it harder to drink and drive.
http://www.businessinsider.com/eu-fi...er-2022-2019-3
There was at least one rental company in Florida that was issuing tickets when renters exceeded the speed limit. IIRC, the renters got a ticket for each instance! They got away with it (for a while anyway) as the contract said they would get a ticket for speeding. It was in the small, small, small print.
Appreciate 0