BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

09-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #309
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVincent View Post
I purchased the car in June of 2021 and only noticed the vibration 2 weeks ago. Just a slight vibration above 65 mph. I did not see any visible damage on the wheel or tire. I checked all before bringing to the dealer. The dealer sent me a video of the wheel spinning while the car was on the lift and I could see a very slight wobble on the inside. Very odd.
The 20" wheels are made of butter it seems. I have a slight bend in one front wheel (inside portion, just like yours), but a rubber mallet/dead blow hammer will make quick work of it if it gets worse or causes a vibration. I've done it before on wheels I bent on the race car (pro tip, going airborne may cause wheel damage).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      09-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #310
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
The 20s are bad, but paired with rft makes it a lot worse as the tires doesn't soften the blow.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #311
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
The 20s are bad, but paired with rft makes it a lot worse as the tires doesn't soften the blow.
The dealership was able to repair. Cost me 244.00 with tax. Probably could have had it done for less at a local shop but it was already at the dealer and I just wanted it resolved. Ironically, the dealership has a person on staff and the equipment to perform these repairs. The wheel is reshaped back to normal from the inside.

This must be a common occurrence if they have the equipment and staff on site. The vibration is gone which is good. Still worrisome that these wheels are so easily prone to this damage. I really don't recall hitting a pothole or anything that I would think would damage the wheel.

I lived in New York before moving to Florida in 2003 and I would hate to own this car with all the potholes or craters in the New York 5 boroughs. All four wheels would be oval in a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:33 AM   #312
Crobmw
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30

Hi guys,

I'm new in this community. I have a g30 11/2021 25000km with vibration issue from the first day, same here discused. Local dealer seems doing everything to not send the request or seeking for some advise from BMW Munich. Feel free to share all information/Experience with your local dealer in order to prepare myself for the next meeting with the local corporate manager. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 06:01 AM   #313
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobmw View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new in this community. I have a g30 11/2021 25000km with vibration issue from the first day, same here discused. Local dealer seems doing everything to not send the request or seeking for some advise from BMW Munich. Feel free to share all information/Experience with your local dealer in order to prepare myself for the next meeting with the local corporate manager. Thanks
Hello our cars are almost same date. I got mine brand new at 08/2021.

Worked many things for solving vibrations, and after all i found the issue. If you have time please check your wheep spigot diamater and wheel bore diameters. My car's spigot's are 66,5 which has to be but wheel bores are 66,70 which is great tolerance makes moves on the spigot.

Bmw said that if the clereance is equal 0,155 or higher it cause vibrations.
Appreciate 1
Crobmw0.00
      09-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #314
Crobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hello our cars are almost same date. I got mine brand new at 08/2021.

Worked many things for solving vibrations, and after all i found the issue. If you have time please check your wheep spigot diamater and wheel bore diameters. My car's spigot's are 66,5 which has to be but wheel bores are 66,70 which is great tolerance makes moves on the spigot.

Bmw said that if the clereance is equal 0,155 or higher it cause vibrations.
Hi,

Thanks for your replay. Do you may have any written statement from BMW regarding that.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #315
JohnB45
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Hi All,
Finally got the friction discs and fitted them using the oem alignment tool to align the wheels perfectly to the hub.
I can report back that it didn't make a blind bit of difference..........
Not sure where to go now, the only thing I haven't done is change the tyres I.e. remove run flats and fit go flats.
As I said, the issue I have is on motorway at 130 km hr, very faint vibration and a rough ride.
My old accord was super smooth and would put the G30 to shame, and she had 160k miles..
I love the car, just hate it on the motorway.
Any suggestions as to what I should do now?
Already 3 dealer trips, brakes and wheels replaced, balanced numerous times including road force
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #316
Crobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB45 View Post
Hi All,
Finally got the friction discs and fitted them using the oem alignment tool to align the wheels perfectly to the hub.
I can report back that it didn't make a blind bit of difference..........
Not sure where to go now, the only thing I haven't done is change the tyres I.e. remove run flats and fit go flats.
As I said, the issue I have is on motorway at 130 km hr, very faint vibration and a rough ride.
My old accord was super smooth and would put the G30 to shame, and she had 160k miles..
I love the car, just hate it on the motorway.
Any suggestions as to what I should do now?
Already 3 dealer trips, brakes and wheels replaced, balanced numerous times including road force
Hi

I'm not an engineer but what Haradraim said regarding the difference between the wheep spigot and wheel bore make sense.

After months of balancing the tires (non run flat), even tried with a completely new set of wheels/tyres, the problem with vibration has not been solved. Today I received an email from the local after-sales manager and he wants to meet with me and talk about that issue. To be honest, I don't expect to much…. Will see…
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #317
JohnB45
Rep

Not sure about that, if the wheels are precision mounted using the alignment tool, then held in place using the friction discs, then the result should be the same as fitting a hub centric spacer.
Could try it I suppose, but wouldn't hold out too much faith in success.
Has anyone changed to go flat and experienced a smoother motorway ride?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #318
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Not sure about that, if the wheels are precision mounted using the alignment tool, then held in place using the friction discs, then the result should be the same as fitting a hub centric spacer.
Could try it I suppose, but wouldn't hold out too much faith in success.
Has anyone changed to go flat and experienced a smoother motorway ride?
Wheel vibrations and a smooth ride are two different issues.

I'm on RFTs on my F11, and the ride is smooth on reasonable surfaces and definitely vibration free.

Go-flats will contribute to a smoother ride on poorer road surfaces.

Regarding precision wheel mounting, unless the alignment tools are more precise than the wheel hub to spigot mounting, it could be less accurate than taping the hub spigot. I'd be measuring the alignment tools and wheel bolt holes and seeing how tight the tolerance. I'd expect to read about 0.1mm clearance, to ensure a precise mounting.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:42 AM   #319
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 520d LIMOUSINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Wheel vibrations and a smooth ride are two different
I'm on RFTs on my F11, and the ride is smooth on reasonable surfaces and definitely vibration free.

Regarding precision wheel mounting, unless the alignment tools are more precise than the wheel hub to spigot mounting, it could be less accurate than taping the hub spigot. I'd be measuring the alignment tools and wheel bolt holes and seeing how tight the tolerance. I'd expect to read about 0.1mm clearance, to ensure a precise mounting.
Totally agree with Pete, i tested all the combination (the shaft have play and it is not enough accurate), the best test is one layer of 0,1 tape on spigot (no overlap), but you can easily damage the tape when inserting the wheel, be careful.
Then i use my spacer, add 0,1mm tape to spacer spigot, then the spacer into the wheel, then insert the wheel combined with the spacer into the car hub.
the best result, and my conclusion for long term solution is custom spacer, that is that Haradrim did on his bmw.
If you want to check if you have clearance problem, put the wheel on the car hub, without bolt, hang the wheel with one hand, and with the other hand insert feeler gauge 0,15mm at the bottom point, if you can insert it, it means that you probably have clearance problem and vibration caused by this issue
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...49433-9999.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #320
JohnB45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Wheel vibrations and a smooth ride are two different issues.

You are right, vibration and smoothness are different things, but I am thinking the go flats are 20% lighter than run flats and because the tyre is on the outer radius any decrease in mass will decrease vibration amplitude.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #321
JohnB45
Rep

Quote:
Hello All,

A big update from my side.

Unfortunately friction disks + tape on spigot did not give the best solution. Still vibration are came.

I drove car until today with thick aluminium tape and vibrations was 2/10

Today i bough special made spacer 12mm for each wheel.

G30 hub spigot is 66,50mm and according to Frencstar's information measured my rims at factory. And my wheel hubs are 66,70mm. 0,20m clearance which enough for vibrations.

12mm spacer with 66,68(69) spacer mounted today.

And all the problems went away. No vibration on accelare, brake, hill or turns.
Hi there Haradrim,
Do you have any drawings or dimensions that you can share?
Appreciate 1
Crobmw0.00
      09-17-2022, 05:38 AM   #322
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 520d LIMOUSINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstar-57 View Post
Update :
installed Feeler Gauge tape 0,12mm, problem solved !
no friction discs required, no shafts required

it was not easy, but i introduce the tape between spacer and wheel with grease, with small rubber hammer and rubber wedge, then i introduced the wheel combined with spacer on the hub

0,15mm was too difficult to introduce, but 0,12 was okay

i did 50kms since and no vibration remains, for me it's solved
If you still have vibration, go balance the entire package (wheel+spacer.+tire) and normally the vibration will leave
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #323
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Hi there Haradrim,
Hello Unfortunately i dont have such this information

But i have photos:

Appreciate 3
      09-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #324
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Anybody else having vibration issues?
You're tires need balancing…
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 06:36 AM   #325
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Anybody else having vibration issues?
You're tires need balancing…
Perhaps they are not correctly balanced. Happened to me- speed balance isn't always perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:41 AM   #326
Crobmw
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi there Haradrim,
Hello Unfortunately i dont have such this information

But i have photos:

Hi, is it possible to order from your guy a set and send ti Croatia. Will cover all cost of course.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:45 AM   #327
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Hi, is it possible to order from your guy a set and send ti Croatia. Will cover all cost of course.

Thanks
Hello

Of course i can help you about production. But is it possible to measure your all wheel spigot and wheel bores. Maybe there is other differences on yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #328
Crobmw
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Hello

Of course i can help you about production. But is it possible to measure your all wheel spigot and wheel bores. Maybe there is other differences on yours?
Will see in few minutes…

Few minutes later … vibration remains…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #329
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Wheel spacers? You are looking for a visual improvement on the car versus performance. Do you think any of these spacer companies have BMW quality control? If you want wider stance, get a wheel that does that without a spacer. I just got my m550i and complained about the vibration. Dealer found 2 cracked wheels (which they replaced) and one cad tire (also replaced). Service manager said I'm probably the only person that would have complained about the slight vibration but was surprised that I pushed him to check it. Now it's smooth as butter. Lose the spacers and don't be a poser.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #330
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
Wheel spacers? You are looking for a visual improvement on the car versus performance. Do you think any of these spacer companies have BMW quality control? If you want wider stance, get a wheel that does that without a spacer. I just got my m550i and complained about the vibration. Dealer found 2 cracked wheels (which they replaced) and one cad tire (also replaced). Service manager said I'm probably the only person that would have complained about the slight vibration but was surprised that I pushed him to check it. Now it's smooth as butter. Lose the spacers and don't be a poser.
lol there's 15 pages on this thread because of an issue where swapping out all 4 tires and wheels didn't get rid of the vibration.
Appreciate 3
NGT25617.50
CnSky330.00
Crobmw0.00