BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

05-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #133
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
This sound a very very familiar.

2 questions

Do you have adaptive suspension?

Are you running Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres or tyres with a larger(higher) than normal side wall for comfort?

The MPS4S I got with higher side walls caused rhythmic vibrations on motorway at speed - see my old posts I even posted the vibration tool output data

You could have two issues like I had - 1 bad VDP ACSM coding causing variable adapters to make the car unsettled over even tiny cracks in the road (the rear is the car shakes side to side) and 2 - Michelin PS4S which are not approved for BMW or higher side walls both or even 1 of those will cause the diff to vibrate at high speed it's rhythmic in my case built for 5 seconds then dropped then comes back on super smooth roads

If you have variable dampers (adaptive button in car) and are running higher sidewalls (seems your dealer installed them from your previous posts) or MPS4S I have the solution for you.
Hi Cansky

1- My car doesnt have adaptive suspension. In Turkish market these type of specs are very rare.

2- Now i have bridgestone er300 245/45/18 with star logo and standart bmw sizes.

I will give you some details about my issue instead of high speed.

The rear side of the car feeling very sensetive, in case of any cracks on road the rear vibrates or woobles. Sometimes after crack for 1 sec more rear woobles.

Also when i brake mid hard. not to hard or not to soft, rear side woobles again.

And finally in pressing on throttle then release the rear also woobles for 0,5-1 secs even on smooth road.

These signals thinks me suspension based issues maybe? the force coming from road or ground feels like car not absorbing healthy. That's why maybe car vibrates irregular on highway speeds 120-160km/h speeds.

Waiting your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #134
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Sound like warped brake discs or stuck caliper.

Not the same Issue as I had.

Did they check rear subframe mounts?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #135
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

So I feel really sorry for those of you struggling with vibrations on the G30. I too went through two new G30's (and two F10s before that with exactly the same vibrations at the same speed). BMW replaced pretty much everything on all FOUR cars but the vibrations remained…
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #136
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Sound like warped brake discs or stuck caliper.

Not the same Issue as I had.

Did they check rear subframe mounts?
warped brake discs cause vibrations on high speed not at braking?

Nope the official dealer only focusing on tyres. I forwarding them..

Is it possible to check myself if i jack the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #137
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Warped brakes definitely cause vibrations when braking 100%. I have had this on a few cars before including my current G30.

Also sticky callipers cause vibrations and instability when driving.

Considering you tried tyres already can you check brakes?

Any garage can jack the car remove tyre and using a DTI check the brake disc surface when rotating the wheels.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/dti-gauge-magnetic-base.html

The limits for BMW discs is very small for runout as the car runs a drying cycle when wet by moving the calliper close to the discs now and again to remove moisture , as such any warp causes weird drive issues and shakes more noticeable in the wet, the discs should be flat. If the DTI is moving up and down a lot discs are warped. Do you note worse shaking when it's raining?

Question have you only tried one garage? If so get a second opinion from a non BMW garage.

It's not just vibrations - your experiencing instability so something is moving or causing single side drive to be interrupted when you brake or go over bad surfaces.

Your down to suspension bushing or component arm damaged worn, shock damaged, spring broken, brake sticking or warped disc, top mount of shock bad, then the differential mounts or more likely subframe mounts and really really finally a bad diff.

I note the diff at the end as it's most unlikely to be that yet your garage are focusing on it.

Bad tyres don't cause instability like your describing, even buckled wheels won't do it as they only cause vibrations.

Work through the list.

If you had adaptive dampers then I would advise you to check the VDP and ACSM coding but you say you don't have them or higher sidewall tyres which can cause diff harmonic vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #138
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

FYI if you want to check if only the rear brakes are causing vibrations set your cruise control to say 50km. Go to a motorway at 120km and engage cruise control.

The cruise control only uses rear brake to reduce speed so if the shake occurs when you engage 50km cruise at 120km it would indicate rear brakes could be the issue.

Which I could help more as I know this type of issue is super annoying and ruins the car.

I went through this myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #139
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
So I feel really sorry for those of you struggling with vibrations on the G30. I too went through two new G30's (and two F10s before that with exactly the same vibrations at the same speed). BMW replaced pretty much everything on all FOUR cars but the vibrations remained…
Krill I have noted many people with adaptive suspension having this issue since late 2019 I think BMW deployed an iStep software upgrade with damaged VDP ACSM software that caused it.

When did you have the two G30s and we're the issue after August 2019?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:16 AM   #140
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Warped brakes definitely cause vibrations when braking 100%. I have had this on a few cars before including my current G30.

Also sticky callipers cause vibrations and instability when driving.

Considering you tried tyres already can you check brakes?

Any garage can jack the car remove tyre and using a DTI check the brake disc surface when rotating the wheels.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/dti-gauge-magnetic-base.html

The limits for BMW discs is very small for runout as the car runs a drying cycle when wet by moving the calliper close to the discs now and again to remove moisture , as such any warp causes weird drive issues and shakes more noticeable in the wet, the discs should be flat. If the DTI is moving up and down a lot discs are warped. Do you note worse shaking when it's raining?

Question have you only tried one garage? If so get a second opinion from a non BMW garage.

It's not just vibrations - your experiencing instability so something is moving or causing single side drive to be interrupted when you brake or go over bad surfaces.

Your down to suspension bushing or component arm damaged worn, shock damaged, spring broken, brake sticking or warped disc, top mount of shock bad, then the differential mounts or more likely subframe mounts and really really finally a bad diff.

I note the diff at the end as it's most unlikely to be that yet your garage are focusing on it.

Bad tyres don't cause instability like your describing, even buckled wheels won't do it as they only cause vibrations.

Work through the list.

If you had adaptive dampers then I would advise you to check the VDP and ACSM coding but you say you don't have them or higher sidewall tyres which can cause diff harmonic vibrations.
First of all Cnsky, i am really appreciated and thank you for your all support.

The car's periodic maintance time is here. While doing i will check all brake components.

As you describle clearly, this not a completly vibration problem. The rear of the car is totally not working healthy on surfaces, bumps or highspeed driving. So there is problem between tyres and chasis connection.

For example, if car is loaded, like luggages and 3 more person vibrations are very low but if i am only driver vibrations are high.

I will go to highway tomorrow and will test rear brakes by cruise control as you describe.

So i have a theory. Since i take the car brand new i have tyre based vibrations, and drove 600km with this tyres then return back to the dealer. The vibrations are continous and 105-130km speed.

After dealer change my tyres, vibrations decreased and speed range is 130-160km. So, with the first tyres maybe harm the settings of rear suspensions?

So i will have plan to go this way;

- first check rear brakes with cruise control as you told me
- second when i back to the maintace, will check brakes disk and rear suspension componenets
- finally go for diff.

Because for a 550 km high way drive, when the car speed and rpm is constant, car vibrates according to the road conditions like turns, hills, bumps etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:21 AM   #141
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

If the car is Xdrive it could be the transfer box also

If your at BMW ask them to also check the wheel rotation sensors one could be faulty and sending erroneous signals. Also ask them to reset your ride height calibration.

Also I think it could be no harm to have someone recode your ACSM as it is the module that controls all flex ray signals in the car and if it's faulty it can cause all sorts of strange behaviour. Kubax on here can do it remotely for you if you have a laptop and cable.

It only 5 minis and less than $100 to get his help. BMW will only do a recode of all modules which costs a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:59 AM   #142
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
If the car is Xdrive it could be the transfer box also

If your at BMW ask them to also check the wheel rotation sensors one could be faulty and sending erroneous signals. Also ask them to reset your ride height calibration.

Also I think it could be no harm to have someone recode your ACSM as it is the module that controls all flex ray signals in the car and if it's faulty it can cause all sorts of strange behaviour. Kubax on here can do it remotely for you if you have a laptop and cable.

It only 5 minis and less than $100 to get his help. BMW will only do a recode of all modules which costs a lot.
My car doesnt have adaptive suspension, still acsm code need?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #143
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

The ACSM does a huge amount of sensor work as it runs the flex ray network which shares all the data. it's worth trying for 100 bucks as it could be the issue with any system in the vehicle.

Talk to Kubax86 on here he is based in Poland.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #144
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

I came across this thread as ive had a similar annoying vibration over about 120kmh-140kmh on my 540i

2 buckled passenger side wheels repaired, 2 new front drop links, ditched run flat tyres

alignment and wheel balancing done recently. My car is lowered and running spacers but the vibration was there before that id say. New front discs and pads also fitted in the last few months.

i very rarely do log drives in it so its not that annoying for me but on a trip cross country recently it was still noticeable, with the worst being at about 130kmh. i was trying to pin point if its more from the front or rear of the car, i think i can feel it more through the seat that that points to something on the rear perhaps?

I was thinking maybe replace the rear pads and discs too but that should only vibrate more under braking.

I might see if i can find a tyre place to get the wheels road force balanced as ive read the g30 20 inch wheels are very sensitive to balancing
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:14 AM   #145
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

@buddyboy Thank you information.

I did road force balance for many times.

But didnt solve at all. My latest plan is rear suspensions and brake discs rear (which is low chance)

Because my rear is vibrate same when i slide reae of car on hard throttle
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #146
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I really think this is a drive shaft issue as I have this hop when accelerating hard also on back left. Either that or transmission mounts as some of mine are slightly torn. I know your BMW dealer said it's not the shaft but why would it appear to be bent when jacked up and running but be ok when on the ground?

Regards discs I have all new fitted when I started chasing this problem it made no difference.

If your rear discs are warped (run out) you can check with cruise control as I explained in an earlier post.

I plan to install my replacement rear left drive shaft in coming weeks will report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:47 AM   #147
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
I really think this is a drive shaft issue as I have this hop when accelerating hard also on back left. Either that or transmission mounts as some of mine are slightly torn. I know your BMW dealer said it's not the shaft but why would it appear to be bent when jacked up and running but be ok when on the ground?

Regards discs I have all new fitted when I started chasing this problem it made no difference.

If your rear discs are warped (run out) you can check with cruise control as I explained in an earlier post.

I plan to install my replacement rear left drive shaft in coming weeks will report back.
Hi Cnsky

Since beginning i always thought drive shaft too, but they said me, they also inspected on ground based turn and no problem on shaft.

But all the symtomps seems like that.

I tried cruise control braking as you told me and no problem. Braking vibration only when i first press the pedal. This is also looking me like drive shaft problem. Cuz on first brake car had load too.

Waiting your news also. I will also check my axles on another place. And let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #148
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 520d LIMOUSINE

Hi,

My experience on my 2017 BMW G30 520d Limousine (car vibration between 125kmh-140kmh):
- 225/55/17 michelin privacy 3 rft -> no vibrations, after a flat tyre, i changed my tires with cinturato P7 no rft -> vibrations
- i have my winter set on original wheel with michelin alpin RFT 225/55/17 -> vibration
- now, i changed my summer set with original 18 inch rft 245/45/18 -> vibrations
with 3 differents set of wheels and tires, the vibrations are still presents

The vibration can disappear when the car is cold, the first kilometers
The vibration can increase in highway curve
With different tyre pressure, it doesn't affect the vibrations
i don't no why this car enter in resonance at specific speed (138km/H)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #149
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstar-57 View Post
Hi,

My experience on my 2017 BMW G30 520d Limousine (car vibration between 125kmh-140kmh):
- 225/55/17 michelin privacy 3 rft -> no vibrations, after a flat tyre, i changed my tires with cinturato P7 no rft -> vibrations
- i have my winter set on original wheel with michelin alpin RFT 225/55/17 -> vibration
- now, i changed my summer set with original 18 inch rft 245/45/18 -> vibrations
with 3 differents set of wheels and tires, the vibrations are still presents

The vibration can disappear when the car is cold, the first kilometers
The vibration can increase in highway curve
With different tyre pressure, it doesn't affect the vibrations
i don't no why this car enter in resonance at specific speed (138km/H)
regarding the vibrations on highway curves, its probably the RFT sidewalls. As the sidewalls are stiff, the tires do not roll like traditional non rft tires, and fight each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #150
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
regarding the vibrations on highway curves, its probably the RFT sidewalls. As the sidewalls are stiff, the tires do not roll like traditional non rft tires, and fight each other.
I had the same problem with cinturato P7 (non rft) on my 17 inch wheels set, several wheel balance done in differents garages, it reduce slightly the level of vibration. always at same speeds between 125 and 140 km/h

In high speed on german autobahn > 180km/h, it's smooth

I think that is an inherent characteristic of this car, emphasized by the type of tyre. With the michelin primacy 3 rft, i never noticed that comportement.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #151
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Are you guys having these vibrations continous or periodically vibrates or not on same speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:00 AM   #152
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
Are you guys having these vibrations continous or periodically vibrates or not on same speed?
The vibrations start at 125km/h and the frequency of vibration increase and reach it maximum around 140km/h where the car is in resonance, and it decrease at higher speed. The resonance frequency changed after i change my wheel set, it was around 130km/h with my 17 inch wheel.
Sometimes, there are zero vibration but are always present in highway curve and climb
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #153
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstar-57 View Post
The vibrations start at 125km/h and the frequency of vibration increase and reach it maximum around 140km/h where the car is in resonance, and it decrease at higher speed. The resonance frequency changed after i change my wheel set, it was around 130km/h with my 17 inch wheel.
Sometimes, there are zero vibration but are always present in highway curve and climb
Same here, on curves its maximum level of vibration.. Thats really weird and i dont know how can i solve this
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 06:48 AM   #154
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
Same here, on curves its maximum level of vibration.. Thats really weird and i dont know how can i solve this
I really think that the problem is due to a combination of rear axle and
tyre (type, brand/model)
I have a summer set wheels 17 inch BMW OEM with pirelli cinturato P7 non rft
I have a winter set wheels with exactly the same model of wheels and Michelin alpin rft
a total of 8 wheels that i had balanced en rebalanced
with the cinturato, less vibration
with Michelin alpin, more vibration

with my new 18 inch set bridgestone rft, less vibration than the 17 inch pirelli
->the tyre change affect the resonance frequency
when i bought the car, its was equipped with 17 inch Michelin primacy, and i had never noticed that vibrations. For the next tire change i will mount this Michelin, maybe it will be the right combination. I hope...
Appreciate 0