BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Would Remote/USB Apple CarPlay Activation Mess with MHD/Bimmercode/Future BMW Service

01-16-2023, 06:30 AM   #1
540ixdrive
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive 2017

Would Remote/USB Apple CarPlay Activation Mess with MHD/Bimmercode/Future BMW Service

Hi I am thinking of getting apple carplay activation done via ebay cheap enet remote method, before I do i want to know if it could brick my idrive if in the future i take it for a service at BMW, as some people say because of fsc code writing default values etc I do have MHD installed on the car and Bimmercode many values changed I wonder if it will also mess with that?

Can anyone tell me if I can maybe backup my FSC codes or entire ecu before doing this. If its not risky i wont bother with the backup but just thought id ask anyways, better be sure than sorry.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:35 AM   #2
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530d g30

Most sellers on Ebay will use the FeatureInstaller sofware which creates a backup before installing, so you can restore at any time, and reinstall as well.

All you have to do is remove the codes before taking your car to the dealer. They won't be able to tell if you have had CarPlay on there before.

However, there are a couple of things to be aware of:

1. When I code via BimmerCode it says that I need to go back to stock first (no CarPlay coding),

2. Last time I restored from CarPlay, I got an Unauthorised HU Access error, although it could have been from me updating the Service Log which I did at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
540ixdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
Most sellers on Ebay will use the FeatureInstaller sofware which creates a backup before installing, so you can restore at any time, and reinstall as well.

All you have to do is remove the codes before taking your car to the dealer. They won't be able to tell if you have had CarPlay on there before.

However, there are a couple of things to be aware of:

1. When I code via BimmerCode it says that I need to go back to stock first (no CarPlay coding),

2. Last time I restored from CarPlay, I got an Unauthorised HU Access error, although it could have been from me updating the Service Log which I did at the same time.
Can you not change any value on Bimmercode at all? Or you just can't change carplay values pn Bimmercode?

Feature install is what they will be using, so on my PC i guess it will make a backup?
Thanks so much, I am about to install the wifi antenna tonight! Did you install the antenna yourself if so was it fine with no tools? Except ofc the screwdriver.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530d g30

TBH, I haven't had any issues with BimmerCode while having the CarPlay FSC, but I thought I would just mention the warning message that comes up when starting BimmerCode. From a quick scan of the web it seems there were some earlier problems with the USB installer of CarPlay and BimmerCode (?)

I already had the WIFI module in my car, so all I needed was the coding, however, there seems to be a few tuts on youtube about how to do it.

This is the FeatureInstaller. As you can see there is a RESET button (it also asks if you want to reset when you start the program):

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2023, 06:16 PM   #5
540ixdrive
Rep

Quote:
TBH, I haven't had any issues with BimmerCode while having the CarPlay FSC, but I thought I would just mention the warning message that comes up when starting BimmerCode. From a quick scan of the web it seems there were some earlier problems with the USB installer of CarPlay and BimmerCode (?)

I already had the WIFI module in my car, so all I needed was the coding, however, there seems to be a few tuts on youtube about how to do it.

This is the FeatureInstaller. As you can see there is a RESET button (it also asks if you want to reset when you start the program):

Perfect! Thanks very excited to do this 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 02:59 PM   #6
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Reset means reboot headunit in this case. Once you run the activation, after second time you'll get a pop up restore to oem - lets you restore to state before activation
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:55 AM   #7
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

So if we use this method to reset to factory, and then use BimmerCode to modify the HU to however we want, will rewriting this activation overwrite the the changes we made to BimmerCode again?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:29 PM   #8
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag81 View Post
So if we use this method to reset to factory, and then use BimmerCode to modify the HU to however we want, will rewriting this activation overwrite the the changes we made to BimmerCode again?
It won't overwrite.
They will remain.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 02:25 AM   #9
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

kubax86 ,
I tried to revert back to oem state and then code the HU with bimmercode, but it still wouldn't allow access to the Headunit, giving the reason that the module is not in it's original state.

I did both the start process to revert back to OEM, and then the Reset process, neither worked...

any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:18 AM   #10
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag81 View Post
kubax86 ,
I tried to revert back to oem state and then code the HU with bimmercode, but it still wouldn't allow access to the Headunit, giving the reason that the module is not in it's original state.

I did both the start process to revert back to OEM, and then the Reset process, neither worked...

any ideas?
Try to reset bimmercode completely
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:42 PM   #11
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BmW M550i

What's the solution if you don't have backup? My situation is different. I didn't restore to OEM before dealer visit and dealer updates every module and they kept getting stuck when trying to update maps. Car returned to me with possibly updated idrive software and none working navigation and voice.

I can get it all working if I run feature installer again but is there a way to return the head unit to OEM state with working OEM maps/voice?