BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions instrument cluster not working

02-27-2024, 01:33 PM   #1
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i x-drive

instrument cluster not working

So, I was wondering if anyone here had experienced a similar thing. I have a 2022 M550i; it has full digital dash (LCI G30).

When I got in the car this AM, the instrument cluster (in front of the wheel) was completely black; the iDrive display in the center, above the air vents, worked fine and displayed, but the clock time was set at "--:--" and some of the features were not working (no HUD for example). I drove the car to work (no choice) and it drove fine (no speedo was a problem, but manageable). The MyBMW app said that I have a software update available, but the car has not given me the option to update while it is in park.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix? I have an appointment at the dealership next week, but wanted to try to troubleshoot myself prior if possible.

Thanks.

Robby
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:13 PM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyb83 View Post
So, I was wondering if anyone here had experienced a similar thing. I have a 2022 M550i; it has full digital dash (LCI G30).

When I got in the car this AM, the instrument cluster (in front of the wheel) was completely black; the iDrive display in the center, above the air vents, worked fine and displayed, but the clock time was set at "--:--" and some of the features were not working (no HUD for example). I drove the car to work (no choice) and it drove fine (no speedo was a problem, but manageable). The MyBMW app said that I have a software update available, but the car has not given me the option to update while it is in park.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix? I have an appointment at the dealership next week, but wanted to try to troubleshoot myself prior if possible.

Thanks.

Robby
What a mess. These cars have so many electronics going on, that i'm not even going to guess. Do you have a code reader? That would be my first start.
In the mean time, you can use your phone as speedo. Several apps out there.
      02-27-2024, 02:21 PM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
usually, a restart will bring the screen back. i think most of has gone through this at least once?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:25 PM   #4
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

I unfortunately don't have a code reader. I did try the iDrive restart (hold the volume button down for 30 secs) without resolution of the problem. I am hoping it possibly fixes itself (that would be nice) after driving it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:38 PM   #5
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

I would completely disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so. An iDrive restart may not be enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 06:03 AM   #6
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I unfortunately don't have a code reader. I did try the iDrive restart (hold the volume button down for 30 secs) without resolution of the problem. I am hoping it possibly fixes itself (that would be nice) after driving it a few times.
gotcha, i meant after restarting the car, but seems like a bigger issue if it still isnt back up...hoping it does comes back up tho.

considering its a 22, would still have the dealership look into it either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 01:10 PM   #7
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_gm View Post
I would completely disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so. An iDrive restart may not be enough.
Thank you for the advice. Sorry for my ignorance, but if I unplug the battery (in the trunk) and then plug it back in, do I need some sort of tool/program to complete the process? I guess I was under the impression that a battery replacement (or plug unplug) needed to happen by BMW so that they could do some sort of programing. If this is bogus and I'm wrong, then I'll try unplugging battery tonight.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 01:45 PM   #8
iamcc88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Hey, just so you know it’s actually longer than 30 seconds I think. I’ve had to do this for my car and it took like 60 seconds which felt like FOREVER.

I would literally set a timer and make sure you do a minimum of 61 seconds.

Also, have you ever used the BimmerCode app to modify anything? I had this happen once and I had to go into the BimmerCode app and do a reset to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:02 PM   #9
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcc88 View Post
Hey, just so you know it’s actually longer than 30 seconds I think. I’ve had to do this for my car and it took like 60 seconds which felt like FOREVER.

I would literally set a timer and make sure you do a minimum of 61 seconds.

Also, have you ever used the BimmerCode app to modify anything? I had this happen once and I had to go into the BimmerCode app and do a reset to stock.
Never used BimmerCode before. Will try 60 sec reset today after work.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:32 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. Sorry for my ignorance, but if I unplug the battery (in the trunk) and then plug it back in, do I need some sort of tool/program to complete the process? I guess I was under the impression that a battery replacement (or plug unplug) needed to happen by BMW so that they could do some sort of programing. If this is bogus and I'm wrong, then I'll try unplugging battery tonight.

Thanks again.
To power down the car by pulling the NEGATIVE battery cable does not require any “programming”.

If you REPLACE your battery with a new one, then yes, you need to register the new battery. But powering down the vehicle by pulling the neg battery cable is not the same thing and doesn’t require the dealership to do anything nor do you have to do anything (other then put the neg battery cable back).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0