BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Valentine one radar detector going crazy

04-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Valentine one radar detector going crazy

So my brother picked up a 540xi. He doesn't have any of the blind stuff warning systems. We installed the V1 and the laser detection is going off like crazy. I even tried with my own V1 and it does the same. We prefer not to turn off the laser detector option on the V1. For now he can simply press the button and mute the sound.

Anyone have a similar issue? If so what did you do excluding turning off the laser detection system.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
nil1
Rep
Drives: 540i

Does it behave similarly when in your car? Valentine did update the V1's laser detection to filter out laser hits from other cars' blind spot monitoring systems.

Side question: had your brother found out how to hardware his V1 yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil1 View Post
Does it behave similarly when in your car? Valentine did update the V1's laser detection to filter out laser hits from other cars' blind spot monitoring systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil1 View Post

I didn't put his v1 in my car, I only put mine in his. Mine is much older than his. His v1 is about 2 years old where mines is 9 years old

We haven't found out how to hardware the v1 or the dash cam. I believe I can tap into the cars rearview mirror for the v1 unsure about the dash cam.

If you have any tips that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
nil1
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
I didn't put his v1 in my car, I only put mine in his. Mine is much older than his. His v1 is about 2 years old where mines is 9 years old

We haven't found out how to hardware the v1 or the dash cam. I believe I can tap into the cars rearview mirror for the v1 unsure about the dash cam.

If you have any tips that would be great!
Nevermind, I was thinking the junk K-band filter upgrade they had not laser. They do have info on why you may be getting laser false alarms though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
So my brother picked up a 540xi. He doesn't have any of the blind stuff warning systems. We installed the V1 and the laser detection is going off like crazy. I even tried with my own V1 and it does the same. We prefer not to turn off the laser detector option on the V1. For now he can simply press the button and mute the sound.

Anyone have a similar issue? If so what did you do excluding turning off the laser detection system.

Thanks!
KAFAS has LIDAR now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
KAFAS has LIDAR now.
He doesn't have any assistance packages, the only thing I can think of is the prem. package which has the auto high beams. Would this be the issue?

He has the following packages:

M Sport
Park Distance Control
Premium
Gesture Control
Heated front seats
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Rear view camera
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Gesture Control
The Gesture Control Infrared Camera is a likely culprit.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      05-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:

yup!

Here's the response from V1.

"Did he get the gesture control feature option? If so, the V1 will report rearward laser alerts since the gesture sensor is located in the overhead console. The only solution is to block the V1's rear laser sensor with black (non-transparent) tape. The rear laser sensor is the red circle between the bogey count and the band ID lights."

I think this is a little ridiculous, hopefully I can download the V1 app from the app store and hack into the radar.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #9
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

yup!

Here's the response from V1.

"Did he get the gesture control feature option? If so, the V1 will report rearward laser alerts since the gesture sensor is located in the overhead console. The only solution is to block the V1's rear laser sensor with black (non-transparent) tape. The rear laser sensor is the red circle between the bogey count and the band ID lights."

I think this is a little ridiculous, hopefully I can download the V1 app from the app store and hack into the radar.
Surely the rear facing sensor is needed to sense the laser cameras. Why not block the gesture control - or turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
There's just one tiny issue using that approach and why their response is to block the sensor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Surely the rear facing sensor is needed to sense the laser cameras. Why not block the gesture control - or turn it off.
The V1 is sensing a laser camera. Unfortunately it's the one inside the car which works on the same spectrum as speed detection devices.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #11
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
There's just one tiny issue using that approach and why their response is to block the sensor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
The V1 is sensing a laser camera. Unfortunately it's the one inside the car which works on the same spectrum as speed detection devices.
Not sure if we've crossed wires there.

The problem seemed to be that the gesture control was interfering with the laser sensor. The advice was to block the laser sensor on the device. What about the other option of blocking the gesture control (or turning off?)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

I turned off the gesture control and it still went off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Better photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Better photo
There are 3 additional LIDAR arrays (with extremely short range for touch screen proximity sensing).They normally wouldn't be an issue but you're holding it right in front of them.

Place the unit on the dash against the windshield instead. If it still goes off, cover the sensor with black tape and try again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Better photo
There are 3 additional LIDAR arrays (with extremely short range for touch screen proximity sensing).They normally wouldn't be an issue but you're holding it right in front of them.

Place the unit on the dash against the windshield instead. If it still goes off, cover the sensor with black tape and try again.
Even on the windshield it goes off, oh well I guess it's tape time.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
cm81
United_States
Rep
Drives: qx70

Supposedly the car has a scanning function to detect the speed limit be reading the posted street signs. Wonder if that's what's setting it off because I don't think you can turn that off. Were you able to get it to work? I guess I'm not getting a V1...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm81 View Post
Supposedly the car has a scanning function to detect the speed limit be reading the posted street signs. Wonder if that's what's setting it off because I don't think you can turn that off. Were you able to get it to work? I guess I'm not getting a V1...
we covered the gesture control, seems good now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #18
scottg61376
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe;14 M6;17 X6M;18 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
we covered the gesture control, seems good now.
I just bought my wife a 2017 X6M (no gesture control yet in this model) and the car is doing the same thing with the Laser Sensor.

Just ordered my X5M (will be in early Feb) and scared I'm going to have the same exact issue...ugh! I've been a long time V1 user (have them in 4 cars) this sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
Dknj23
Rep
Drives: Singapore Gray 18 M5

Same thing was happening to me as well, no gesture control. In the end I just ended up turning off laser via programming and everything works fine. In my area Ka band is 9/10 times what the police use so as long as that is on, I have pretty strong confidence with the unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Thanks for this thread it is helpful, I have found this all out on my own in my car. I was disappointed also. I did not turn off the laser detector yet but plan on that since there is very little laser being used here.

The other issue is the SAVVY module cannot be used with the newer BMW's due to an up date in the car alarms. Any device connected to the diagnostic port will tire the alarm. So no SAVVY with its wonderful auto mute function. Dam it.

And now I have to find a switched plus 12 to connect to.

Anyone dissect their overhead console yet? Any photos???

Thanks,

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #21
stephenaron
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

Same issue. Will try tape on the V1
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #22
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

we used one of those cloth/velcro to cover the sensors on top. when we want to use the hand gesture we just take off the cloth part of the velcro set.
Appreciate 0