BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Would BMW Benefit From Purchasing Jaguar Land Rover? Some Analysts Think So

09-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #45
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
This will be the most strategic acquisition for BMW. Imagine the Range Rover Line up with the BMW platform and drivetrain, B58 and N63 engines?

It would make RR perfect.
I am sorry but the wife had x5's (e53 and 3 e70's all V8's) and did not really like the F15 so she moved over to the RR sport Supercharged. She likes the RR better than the X5. Personally I think the SC v8 in the RR is better than the BMW TTv8.

As for electronics, Land Rover would GREATLY BENEFIT from a merger with BMW. LR tech is basically Ford's interpretation of the Sync system on top of what LR had and is shit. Not to mention all the stupid features which LR implements in there own way which is super frustrating. The adopted some ford ideas like cutting all power once a car door is opened so you can't shut a window once the car is shut off and a door is opened. Or the stupid fact you cannot lock the car if anything is opened. So if you lock the door before your kid shuts the door it won't lock. The list just grows form this
No way! Bmws twin turbo v8 is so much better...
Different strokes for different folks - having driven both , I personally like the 5.0SC V8 better over bmw's TT-V8. The former feels a lot more "muscley" and definitely a lot more smoother than the Ttv8. But the latter may have better performance figures and specific output. Also ... jlr I feel has done a lot better job at exhaust tuning and sound on the different exhaust systems that they pair in different applications of that engine — the f type SVR sounds wicked , the xjr575 sounds sonorously good and the RR applications as well as the f-pace svr all sound ohh so good. None of the ttv8 applications sound good to my ear including the M6
Appreciate 1
MRV99253.50
      09-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #46
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
As hinted to in Post #1, I was surprised when BMW sold Land Rover to Tata some 20 years ago wondering if it was an effort to tank the brand for their own benefit.
Bmw did not sell JLR to tata. Ford did
lol....even worse.

Ford, Tata

Tomato, Tomatoe
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      09-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #47
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
Quote:
As hinted to in Post #1, I was surprised when BMW sold Land Rover to Tata some 20 years ago wondering if it was an effort to tank the brand for their own benefit.
Bmw did not sell JLR to tata. Ford did
lol....even worse.

Ford, Tata

Tomato, Tomatoe
Lol .... admittedly ... Tata has done a much better job with jlr than ford could ever manage. I know they get a lot of hate for being a third world automaker but the initial capital infusion from tata was what kept them afloat and turned them around. Their troubles of late , especially with Jaguar , I believe are in part to a dilution of that brand specifically their cars. The crossovers aren't that bad but they really need to focus on what Jaguar stands for. The XE and XF are so ho hum , it's almost depressing to think of them as jags .... I say keep and refine the xj and f-type including electrification , keep developing their all electric I-pace and kill off the xe and Xf. Save some money that way and increase the profit margin by becoming a low volume but high quality maker of niche luxury vehicles. If they stop trying to be BMW or Mercedes , I think they may have a future . Land rovers fine as it is. Apologies for the long reply
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4479.50
Bogey4me152.00
      09-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #48
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
"They also said the German automaker would have to be less conservative."

Good Luck with that!

I don't think there will be a buyout at least just yet. A lot of sharing and cooperation in many areas especially in Electric expertise,platforms and current engines. Which you can see new Range Rover and Jaguar prototypes or mules in Munich utilising BMW V8's. There is a lot going on in Munich and certainly BMW Group are investing for the future and that also includes in Brexit Britain.
Some of the ventures BMWi have signed up to.
But also sharing platforms for smaller projects that could jointly be built such as the next line of X1 and equivalent Jaguar model.
They had to paraphrase the analysis' somewhere to fit it in an article.

Let's see how the board votes. Strategic JV's certainly the preferred method, but an acquisition is beginning to gain an edge. Out of all the potential acquisitions, BMW-JLR is near as perfect as they come.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #49
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

I understand the calls to kill off Jaguar. Ford ruined it, by sharing parts with the Taurus. They may have improved reliability, but at great cost. However I remember fondly the Jaguars of the 80s. They had problems yes, but they had class and pinache. We need pinache desperately in the automotive world. Maybe they let it sleep for a few years and stir the memories of yesteryear Jags. Then release a modern Jag. I'd love to see it. RR meh
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      09-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #50
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I understand the calls to kill off Jaguar. Ford ruined it, by sharing parts with the Taurus. They may have improved reliability, but at great cost. However I remember fondly the Jaguars of the 80s. They had problems yes, but they had class and pinache. We need pinache desperately in the automotive world. Maybe they let it sleep for a few years and stir the memories of yesteryear Jags. Then release a modern Jag. I'd love to see it. RR meh
Couldn't agree more on the panache n class. For all their bells n whistles I find the 7 series and the s class to be exceedingly boring. They r great cars no doubt but for some reason I find a certain je ne sais quoi missing . Jag with it's history n heritage can appeal to that segment. I am rooting for them to succeed. It would indeed be a sad day to see them go if that were the case
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      09-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #51
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
BMW needs to take that money and use it for R&D to reduce plastic in their cars and or at least use Japanese plastic that lasts more than 5 years. They need to hire people from Denso to show them how to build a GD radiator, expansion tank, injectors, fuel pumps etc. They need to hire the best trim builders or at least buy a company that can show them how to build cars that last and are reliable. None of these companies will improve their reliability. They have already sold their souls to chase everyone down the suv path. If anything, maybe they can buy Porsche who can show them the proper placement of a nav screen in a sports car. Maybe they can also buy a car company like Toyota that can show them how to make cars that don't spin bearings and finally they can buy Audi to show them how to make good looking cars again.

So no, they shouldn't buy another company that doesn't bring something they need to the table.

: )
+100 on how to place a Nav screen - Porsche does it right in the 911
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      09-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #52
Maldonadosk8
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

If they got money sitting around then get back in F1
Appreciate 3
K-M390.50
JustChris17423.00
GenXer1351.00
      09-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #53
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

I hope BMW doesn't buy them. RR the only brand left with some non-vanilla soul in the high end suv category. They don't need 12 versions of a RR sport which is what bmw will do. Just the SC V8 will do - yes improve the nav system (ford sync 3 is near perfect with iPhones and android...iDrive still not so much). BMW could learn from the build quality and sounds that come out of them and the experience it provides while not really being "fast". I don't want the RRs dumbed down mechanically for mass production, they shouldn't look like beavers either...don't ruin the alternatives to you!

Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      09-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #54
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

Let's see how the board votes. Strategic JV's certainly the preferred method, but an acquisition is beginning to gain an edge. Out of all the potential acquisitions, BMW-JLR is near as perfect as they come.
For many within the company that would be a relished ambition to own the crown of British name plates MINI,Rolls-Royce and Land Rover.
The problem more loosely is based on the fact that Jaguar and Land Rover are so entwined that you can't have one without the other.

But speaking hypothetically with Jaguar I would cut the excess models and make it more like Porsche.
With Land Rover one thing not normally reported is that they followed BMWs direct strategy to introduce a smaller Range Rover(Evoque), sportier Range Rover Sport and send the Range Rover further upmarket where it does a great of job of straddling the entry luxury segment of the way to the top end of the segment.
I am told that the next Range Rover generation will actually take this further.

However design would. Have to evolve to possibly separating each model. If you take the Velar. It's incredibly good looking and subtle and not too dramatic. It's very much a luxury product. The problem I have is that Velar's uniqueness has now been subdued because every other model now shares its look and is now no longer stand out but uniform.
JustChris17423.00
      09-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #55
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

As long as Tata owns JLR, I expect to see this on the back of every car, whether it's a Range Rover or an F Type.

Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      09-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #56
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
As long as Tata owns JLR, I expect to see this on the back of every car, whether it's a Range Rover or an F Type.

Now that deserves a chuckle from even a jlr fan as I
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #57
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Dilutes the BMW talent pool rather enhances it. JLR makes some awful looking cars, particularly LR/RR. BMW has enough problems in the design dept right now, thanks
      09-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Cash rich and not buyback? put back in R&D and start catch up on electric vehicle!
Better yet, BMW/Quandt Family should purchase Tesla outright, move production out from under circus tents and oust Musk!
Why? Tesla is another money loser. Yes they move product but it's at a loss so it's meaningless.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

For many within the company that would be a relished ambition to own the crown of British name plates MINI,Rolls-Royce and Land Rover.
The problem more loosely is based on the fact that Jaguar and Land Rover are so entwined that you can't have one without the other.

But speaking hypothetically with Jaguar I would cut the excess models and make it more like Porsche.
With Land Rover one thing not normally reported is that they followed BMWs direct strategy to introduce a smaller Range Rover(Evoque), sportier Range Rover Sport and send the Range Rover further upmarket where it does a great of job of straddling the entry luxury segment of the way to the top end of the segment.
I am told that the next Range Rover generation will actually take this further.

However design would. Have to evolve to possibly separating each model. If you take the Velar. It's incredibly good looking and subtle and not too dramatic. It's very much a luxury product. The problem I have is that Velar's uniqueness has now been subdued because every other model now shares its look and is now no longer stand out but uniform.
Interesting ideas about turning Jaguar into a semi-boutique brand like Porsche. The thing is would Porsche have survived without VW Group?

If the answer is no, then I can't see how a trimmed down Jag would survive on its own. Especially with the EV mandates coming out of the EU and China.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #60
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Cash rich and not buyback? put back in R&D and start catch up on electric vehicle!
Better yet, BMW/Quandt Family should purchase Tesla outright, move production out from under circus tents and oust Musk!
Why? Tesla is another money loser. Yes they move product but it's at a loss so it's meaningless.
That might be it, but the Tesla name has very high value...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #61
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Why would BMW repeat their mistake by owning Land Rover again? It was disastrous last time. How would it be better this time around? Jaguars and Land Rovers are plagued with catastrophic electrical failure and TATA hardly did anything about it.

Why not spend that money in product improvement, durability, refinement, customer service, advertisement or stop nickel and dime-ing customers for in-car subscriptions and vehicle options.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I had a '14 RRS for a short time. It's a nice vehicle, but boring.......and it made me feel like an old man (...especially relative to how I felt behind the wheel of both E70 X5's that I owned). I sold it after two months of ownership.
Appreciate 0