BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Things that annoy you at the gym

02-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #2223
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Per above....general rule i adehere to when I use the bathroom at the gym

I don’t want anything from the Barbell touching my junk. I don’t want anything from my junk touching the Barbell.

Simple but effective.....wash your hands ppl!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #2224
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

^^ 100% agree wash your damn hands
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #2225
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I dont poop on mine!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #2226
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

not only at the gym but I see this all the time at public bathrooms whether i'm a the Super Market, freakin' Disneyland, and worst of all at work! and than my coworkers have enough to say hi as they reach their hand out for a handshake
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #2227
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
This is why as douchey as it looks- a fist bump is the most you get from me
      02-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #2228
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
This is why as douchey as it looks- a fist bump is the most you get from me
Thats all you need, i don't dap people up at the gym, probably because the only time I do interact with people is when I'm going heavy an need a spot. And the fist bump is the go to because when I'm going heavy i fucking look like a wreck by the end of the set and my palms are most likely either sweaty or beat to shit.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #2229
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
not only at the gym but I see this all the time at public bathrooms whether i'm a the Super Market, freakin' Disneyland, and worst of all at work! and than my coworkers have enough to say hi as they reach their hand out for a handshake
I've made it a habit to exit any public bathroom by using my elbow to push the door open. If it's a door where I have to pull it to open, I will use the paper towel that I just dried my hands with to grab the handle!
      02-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #2230
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This thread for some reason has me observing people everytime I work out lol. Before this thread I could give two chits what people do. Two things that literally annoyed me tonight at the gym. First one was when I was in the bathroom this guy was taking a crap and walked out of the bathroom without washing his effing hands. Than I see him high fiving his buddies as he's picking up dumbbells

The second incident was this new year resolutioner guy tapped me on the shoulder and said something to me during the middle of my set. Because I had my headset on I couldn't hear what he said? I said "excuse me?" He said "why do you look so serious?" I said "cause I'm in the zone! I'm here to workout and not really chit chat." So he goes on and starts talking about random shit? So I try to be courteous and say "Cool!" but at the same time hoping he catches the hint when he sees me sliding my headphones back on. So annoying. Hopefully I didn't come off as a dick

LOL....I hate when people come up to me during my workouts just to "talk". Now if they need a spot or something like that...I'm good. But if it's just to shoot the shit, I've actually asked people were they there to socialize or workout?

I'm at the age where I don't really care if I come across as a dick. Now if I am done with my workout, I will talk with you as long as you want especially if I know you. And I don't mind if newbies ask me questions. Most of that is shut down pretty quickly though as my answer to most of their questions is it's all about your diet. I will tell them that diet is a good 80% of any progress they could make, and they have to be consistent about it.

This tends to turn them away as they don't want to hear it. They want to come in, do a few sets with hardly any effort, the go and eat what they want and expect results.

That's why I gave up personal training a long time ago. People will lie to you and tell you they are doing something that they aren't.

I remember one guy I was working with, I told him I wanted him to log everything he was eating for at least 2-3 weeks along with his bodyweight. I told him that was the best way we could come up with where we needed to start his calorie intake based upon his goals. He didn't have the discipline to even do that.

Then you have the others who start a diet, and then ask about cheat meals or even cheat days while barely being 3 weeks in. I typically start my dieting for summer at no more than 12% B.F. And I will go at least 6 weeks before I even consider a re-feed. What really blows their minds are that you tell them that the leaner they are, the more re-feeds they actually need.

Your body likes homeostasis. It want's to stay right where it is. So it's a battle to make a permanent change and trick your body to getting where you want...especially the older you get. Then you have to "cement" those changes by staying that way for awhile.

Oh well....rant over!
      02-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #2231
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

^ No cheat meal for 3 weeks....6 weeks. Just kill me right now lmao. That said I never have wanted to do a strict diet. I'm still young so metabolism just munches up whatever I throw at it. Don't get me wrong I'm not eating bad foods, just a lot....a lottt of "good food". If I don't eat enough I'm usually flat in the gym/lack of energy, so I try to house whatever I can. I can stay relatively lean throughout the year, when summer starts to roll around I'll up the cardio and cut out all unnessesary snacking and that usually will do the trick. I stopped counting calories an macros awhile ago, at this point I eat to how my body feels.

*My typical workout is 10mins cardio, 10 mins abs, 50mins lifting, 10-30mins cardio. I'm hustling in there so I'm burning a boat load of calories, my garmin w/ HR tracker told me i burnt 765 cals during last nights workout. I think thats high, but probably helps me eat whatever I want.*

Problem on my end is I usually drink 1-2 nights a week. I've accepted that my progression will be slow based on my own decisions to delay myself, it is unfortuante though.

Last edited by JP10; 02-08-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #2232
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Anyone mention people popping there pimples in and on the gym floor mirror ?

Saw that years ago and it was disturbing.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #2233
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
^ No cheat meal for 3 weeks....6 weeks. Just kill me right now lmao. That said I never have wanted to do a strict diet. I'm still young so metabolism just munches up whatever I throw at it. Don't get me wrong I'm not eating bad foods, just a lot....a lottt of "good food". If I don't eat enough I'm usually flat in the gym/lack of energy, so I try to house whatever I can. I can stay relatively lean throughout the year, when summer starts to roll around I'll up the cardio and cut out all unnessesary snacking and that usually will do the trick. I stopped counting calories an macros awhile ago, at this point I eat to how my body feels.

*My typical workout is 10mins cardio, 10 mins abs, 50mins lifting, 10-30mins cardio. I'm hustling in there so I'm burning a boat load of calories, my garmin w/ HR tracker told me i burnt 765 cals during last nights workout. I think thats high, but probably helps me eat whatever I want.*

Problem on my end is I usually drink 1-2 nights a week. I've accepted that my progression will be slow based on my own decisions to delay myself, it is unfortuante though.
I see what you mean. I was once like that. I could eat whatever / whenever and have abs. In my 30's, the soda's had to go to get my abs to make an appearance, now I'm in my 40's and I have to make sure I'm in a legitimate deficit to get down to less than 8%.

But I'm not eating strictly. I can still eat in a deficit and enjoy stuff like pizza and the such if I plan for it. But I have to get 10% or below before I can add a real "Cheat Meal" in and it not affect my progress. By that I mean something like a buffet where I'm hurting when I walk away! LOL.

In the powerlifting and cross-fit thread, I put up some pics to show what I mean. At my heaviest, I'm eating close to 4,000 calories a day. In the pic from last summer, I think I was all the way down to around 2500 calories a day.

This last off-season I really pushed calories and tried to get my metabolism running as efficient as I could. I'm hoping by this summer, I will be just a lean while being a few lbs heavier than last summer...and I shouldn't have to drop below 2800 calories by the time I'm at the end of my diet.

Now my training partner is a genetic freak. He is my age and still eats whatever he wants. Plus he drinks his fill almost every weekend. But he still walks around pretty much as lean as shit at around 220lbs. And he's my height (5'7") so we are both short. If I can keep my weight in the 185-190lb range at that conditioning, I'm doing good.

I've seen people that can get big...but look "fluffy" and I have seen people that can get ripped, but be all of a 150 lbs. He's the first guy I've seen that can be big and lean at the same time without "chemical assistance". And I know he's telling the truth as he's a national competitor in his sport, and he is drug tested.
      02-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #2234
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I've made it a habit to exit any public bathroom by using my elbow to push the door open. If it's a door where I have to pull it to open, I will use the paper towel that I just dried my hands with to grab the handle!
It amuses me that you guys have toilets that flush themselves, touch free water, soap and dryers, then when you want to leave the bathroom, you then have to touch one of the dirtiest germ infected items on the planet!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #2235
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

We dont have doors at the gym on bathrooms, check and mate
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #2236
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
It amuses me that you guys have toilets that flush themselves, touch free water, soap and dryers, then when you want to leave the bathroom, you then have to touch one of the dirtiest germ infected items on the planet!
The funny part about touch free water is when they have 10 of them together and you wave your hand under all of them and none of them work
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #2237
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Thst just means you used to wear a helmet to school. Window licker.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #2238
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
biggest annoyance for me is people hogging a weights/machines etc. I've seen someone on the same squat rack doing bullshit exercises with the bench for 45 minutes. Drives me crazy. GTFO
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #2239
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
biggest annoyance for me is people hogging a weights/machines etc. I've seen someone on the same squat rack doing bullshit exercises with the bench for 45 minutes. Drives me crazy. GTFO
LOL just got home from the gym and the same thing happened. So it's your typical Monday packed as hell and this new guy is seated in the front where the dumbells are. He grabs a set of dumbells 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs, 45lbs and 50lbs all placed in front of him. Mind you it's Monday busy as shit and he took all these weights that now it's an inconvenience for everyone wanting to use the weights. Granted we have two sets of each weight but still. Not only that people had to walk completely around this guy because he blocked the walk path. Eventually a staff member had to talk to the guy and he had the nerve to give everyone around him the stink face
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #2240
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
LOL just got home from the gym and the same thing happened. So it's your typical Monday packed as hell and this new guy is seated in the front where the dumbells are. He grabs a set of dumbells 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs, 45lbs and 50lbs all placed in front of him. Mind you it's Monday busy as shit and he took all these weights that now it's an inconvenience for everyone wanting to use the weights. Granted we have two sets of each weight but still. Not only that people had to walk completely around this guy because he blocked the walk path. Eventually a staff member had to talk to the guy and he had the nerve to give everyone around him the stink face
people should at least be aware of the fact that they're hogging the weights but this truly is too much to ask of people
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #2241
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Quote:
people should at least be aware of the fact that they're hogging the weights but this truly is too much to ask of people
I like to run circuits most of the time, where I use many stations/racks/weights. However I purposely go during times when there is normally no one there for this very reason. Very inconsiderate.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #2242
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I haven't been in here in a few days. Some gold in here recently.

I'll touch on the bathroom etiquette not only at the gym but in general and at work. I used to be a tattoo artist and clean hands are HUGE to me. In order to obtain a license, part of the class was an hour long on how to wash your hands correctly and what to do after. (not touching the faucet with bare hands, how to dry, how to remove rubber gloves etc.) At the gym it absolutely amazes me at how many people I see come out of the toilet/urinal area that do not wash their hands after. Thankfully the gym has hand sanitizer, spray and paper towels about every 5 feet. Recently at work, I notice every morning someone comes into the office and takes a massive shit in the mens restroom and doesn't flush the toilet. There are only two men that work in the office, one of which is me and the other is the plant manager. It is possible that it is a production employee but there are only a few that have access to the office during non-business hours. The biggest thing that pisses me off about this is this is the bathroom that is used by visitors who come by our facility. The paints a fantastic picture of who we are as a business to other companies that do business with us.

A younger guy probably around 18-22 age range started the gym last week and does not understand personal space at all. It seems that every time I'm in the middle of a set this jack ass will get within inches of me. Last night I decided the next time he does it I'm going to drop a dumbbell on his foot.
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5139.00
      02-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #2243
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just when did my dick become infected? I don't piss on my hands, and urine is sterile anyways. If I scratch where me belt hits my muffin, do I need to wash my hands? How about it I scratch my arm? My leg? What about if I just adjust myself thru my pockets?

I breach my skin on the regular, with finger pricks to test my blood (3-5/day), and shots (4+/day) to take my insulin. I don't EVER wipe the area with alcohol. In 37+ years, not a single injection site or finger infection.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #2244
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

All this talk of bathroom hygiene reminds me of something I saw outside of the gym or work place. I was at a club/sports bar one night for the Salsa dancing event. I was in the men's room washing up when I saw this guy come out after dropping a deuce. He proceeds to just walk straight out of the restroom. No washing. No nothing. Later he's in the dance class before the open dancing started grabbing all these unsuspecting women's hands.
Appreciate 0