BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Removing glued-on M performance parts?

03-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Removing glued-on M performance parts?

So.

I love the M Performance carbon pieces. However, I don't plan on keeping my car longer than three years, as I plan to upgrade to m550i once my lease ends. I want to remove the MP parts that I can, and reinstall it to my m550i in three years.

Which brings me to a question. While I'm pretty certain I can reinstall the side sills, rear diffusor or the front lip, I'm not sure I can remove the front side addons (marked on the image below) or the rear carbon spoiler, which according to the installation manuals, are glued on.

It's mounted by liquid adhesive, so I'm not really sure whether I can remove it and reinstall, without damaging the paint. Does anyone have any information / experience on that?

Also, if I remove the lower front lip, do would the left/right side addons alone look weird? Would the dealer complain?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

If you leased that car with those parts that came with it, I think you will have to return it the same way. If they were added on by you after, then you can certainly remove them. I would suggest using 3M tape instead of glue. May be easier to remove
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I leased the car without those unfortunately, that's the thing. Will research the 3M tape, but honestly I'm a bit scared the front left/right cover would fall off at higher speeds. Same goes for the rear carbon spoiler, which I don't even think I could install with tape.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxpxp View Post
I leased the car without those unfortunately, that's the thing. Will research the 3M tape, but honestly I'm a bit scared the front left/right cover would fall off at higher speeds. Same goes for the rear carbon spoiler, which I don't even think I could install with tape.
trust me, it won't. those 3M tape are strong. that's what they used for the spoiler most of the time. Plus there will be screws at the bottom.
I have done many installation with 3M tapes. No problem. The professional installers use them, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Looked the tape up, you're right - thank you!
Appreciate 0