BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Who wants to see some production photos?

06-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Who wants to see some production photos?

Who else would like to see one (or a few) production photos of your new car under construction?

I'd love to see some, and, respecting BMW's need to keep some of its production line proprietary information confidential, they should be able to provide new owners with a few (appropriately censored - no members of the production team, etc.) photos.

One of the painted body after the clear coat? Anther of the drive train ready to be married to the body, and a final one of it rolling into or out of the test booth at the end of the initial test.

What say you Bimmerposters? If they can track your car through the production process, they should be able to send you the photos at a cost that should be a rounding error in their production budget.

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi

Last edited by TomWinMD; 06-29-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
They used to let you watch video of your car on the line from what I saw in a YouTube interview with the head of the factory. Shame that is gone. I would have loved it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
They used to let you watch video of your car on the line from what I saw in a YouTube interview with the head of the factory. Shame that is gone. I would have loved it.
Yeah. I was told that for the performance center delivery, we would not be allowed to bring any electronics along on the tour. BMW has become very careful about letting its proprietary manufacturing processes be recorded and shared with its competitors. I get it, but I think it's a manageable problem.

It's also good for brand marketing - if you're buying new, or buy new, memorialize it - social media's pervasiveness proves that.

For a minimal expense and time and trouble, they could put a couple of fixed point digital cameras in three spots and then e-mail the photos to the buyers, while protecting their work force's privacy.

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWinMD View Post
Yeah. I was told that for the performance center delivery, we would not be allowed to bring any electronics along on the tour. BMW has become very careful about letting its proprietary manufacturing processes be recorded and shared with its competitors. I get it, but I think it's a manageable problem.

It's also good for brand marketing - if you're buying new, or buy new, memorialize it - social media's pervasiveness proves that.

For a minimal expense and time and trouble, they could put a couple of fixed point digital cameras in three spots and then e-mail the photos to the buyers, while protecting their work force's privacy.
Yeah. They already allow filming of the production lines to create the YouTube videos that are up. They could do a similar smaller version for the buyers that would do a good job boosting brand affinity.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWinMD View Post
Who else would like to see one (or a few) production photos of your new car under construction?

I'd love to see some, and, respecting BMW's need to keep some of its production line proprietary information confidential, they should be able to provide new owners with a few (appropriately censored - no members of the production team, etc.) photos.

One of the painted body after the clear coat? Anther of the drive train ready to be married to the body, and a final one of it rolling into or out of the test booth at the end of the initial test.

What say you Bimmerposters? If they can track your car through the production process, they should be able to send you the photos at a cost that should be a rounding error in their production budget.
I have suggested this twice, on orders in 2013 and 2015. I think many of us would pay for this. Any proprietary operations or worker privacy issues could be easily taken into account I would think. The existing production videos prove that....come On BMW, you can do this!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

I would appreciate that option but am undecided on whether or not I would pay more than a nominal charge for the service. Now if one orders a Corvette, for a large fee, one can assemble the engine...if BMW ever offered that option, it would definitely be worth a trip to Germany!
Appreciate 0