BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Driver's Door Creak- Dealer Cannot Solve

07-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
G30_fan
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i XDrive

Exclamation Driver's Door Creak- Dealer Cannot Solve

Hello there! First time poster here!

I have a 2018 540i and recently, my driver's door has developed a creak near the top of the window area when running over some bumps.

Weirdly enough, if I open the window even 1/4 of an inch, the creaking stops. From the advices on this forum, I also checked all the rubber components that I can see, and they all seem to be in good condition.

Took the car to the dealer but they were not able to solve this issue, and it is really giving me a headache!

Has anyone else had this before?

Would you guys have any suggestions? I have videos that can provided (will learn how).

Last edited by G30_fan; 07-28-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

''Tis was a well known issue on previous 5s.
Had it on my e39 and f10 and easily fixed assuming your issue is the same

The is issue is that the rubber seals stick to the bodywork and when the body twists this rubber minutely slips and causes that creaking noise

The fix is to apply gummifledge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

To the rubber
I have some bmw branded gummifledge but don't believe they sell it any more . Mine is a spray but see it now comes in a stick

Apply to the rubber seals and it will last a very long time

Ensure that you don't get silicon on the rubber or that you use any car polish or waxes on the metal where it meets the rubber seals

On previous cars the noise went away if you lowered the window y a few millimetres, if that works for you then I'd say that is your issue.

I proactively applied it to my g30 when new I but haven't had that issue to date after 3 years.

Gummifledge is a rubber conditioner. Other product may also suffice but don't experience of anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

What @AP said. I've had 4 E39 5 series, and only one did it (the door squeak) and it was horrible in that car. Interestingly, of all of those that I collected, it was the latest year and so you'd expect that they would have fixed all the bugs. Gummifledge was a short-term solution but I also put in some "mouse fur" on all of the door jambs, which looked horrible but did the trick for that car.

Fortunately have not experienced this issue on my G30, but I feel your pain.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
G30_fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
''Tis was a well known issue on previous 5s.
Had it on my e39 and f10 and easily fixed assuming your issue is the same

The is issue is that the rubber seals stick to the bodywork and when the body twists this rubber minutely slips and causes that creaking noise

The fix is to apply gummifledge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

To the rubber
I have some bmw branded gummifledge but don't believe they sell it any more . Mine is a spray but see it now comes in a stick

Apply to the rubber seals and it will last a very long time

Ensure that you don't get silicon on the rubber or that you use any car polish or waxes on the metal where it meets the rubber seals

On previous cars the noise went away if you lowered the window y a few millimetres, if that works for you then I'd say that is your issue.

I proactively applied it to my g30 when new I but haven't had that issue to date after 3 years.

Gummifledge is a rubber conditioner. Other product may also suffice but don't experience of anything else.

Thanks a lot for the help! shame that this is a problem in an otherwise great car. Do you be chance know why the noise stops when the window is rolled down?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Put it down to the window pushing against the frame and in turn the seal against the body.
Reckon it's a good method to determine if it's the same issue. Literally a millimetre or 2 is all that is required.

Hope that resolves it for you as I know it can be quite annoying and the quietness of the car doesn't help
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
G30_fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Put it down to the window pushing against the frame and in turn the seal against the body.
Reckon it's a good method to determine if it's the same issue. Literally a millimetre or 2 is all that is required.

Hope that resolves it for you as I know it can be quite annoying and the quietness of the car doesn't help
Thanks man!

Ya, thats what happens- even if my window is down a TINY bit the noise goes away. In that case, is there anywhere particular I should apply the gummifledge (spelling)?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:09 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

My gummifledge is a spray so I try and guard it with a tissue and spray it on the felt like material and rubber seals and wipe with a tissue to ensure a smooth application.
Be care full not to get it everywhere!

I found it lasts a really long time but should it reappear in the future just apply again.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:02 PM   #8
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30_fan View Post
Hello there! First time poster here!

I have a 2018 540i and recently, my driver's door has developed a creak near the top of the window area when running over some bumps.

Weirdly enough, if I open the window even 1/4 of an inch, the creaking stops. From the advices on this forum, I also checked all the rubber components that I can see, and they all seem to be in good condition.

Took the car to the dealer but they were not able to solve this issue, and it is really giving me a headache!

Has anyone else had this before?

Would you guys have any suggestions? I have videos that can provided (will learn how).
I had this on my F10 535 and fixed it by replacing the rear door seal, not expensive and easy to replace on the F10.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:01 PM   #9
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

A lot of BMW windows have a strange mark looks like a Z etched into the window close to the opening closing pin on the door. The glass is supposed to be aligned between the Z when the window is fully up. It has an allowance between the top and bottom of the Z so perhaps your is adjusted close to the lower marker and pushing up very hard against the seals, you could have it adjusted closer to the higher marker instead it results in the window not pushing up so hard against the seal. Note I have had this mark on frameless window BMWs but can’t remember if it’s on a G30 with a framed door or not and have sold mine so cannot check. Also it’s easy to adjust the entire door a bit up or down by adjusting the strike plate for the lock and the hinges. Could be worth trying to move the door down a tiny bit at the top hinge and forward and down at the lower hinge to change the point of most contact assuming you don’t mess up the panel gaps. Check you panel gaps also are they even around the door if not your door is likely misaligned anyway and needs adjusting. gummiflenge I don’t advise on the G30 or any modern BMWs they changed the seals to a new dryer material and gummiflenge can make things worse not better. It was brilliant on older BMWs E90s etc.
Appreciate 0