BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Rear diffuser colour options

02-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

Rear diffuser colour options

Whilst waiting for delivery of my white g30 m-sport I’ve followed many a G30 in an array of different colours but every time I see a white one, I can’t help but think the grey rear diffuser looks an odd colour especially with the front and rear vents are gloss black.

The M performance diffuser looks a much better colour in Matt black. But has anybody altered the colour of the standard diffuser?

I’m thinking about going for a gloss black wrap (as I can remove it if I get bored) and the diffuser is easy to remove

Has anybody else done anything similar? Pictures would be great. Would Matt black vs gloss look better?

My car has the 664m black wheels coming on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
I've been looking into this myself. My car is carbon black and I was thinking of having the matte black part a gloss black or maybe just blend it in and have it painted carbon black. Not sure which would look best. I have seen a few of them painted gloss black but all of the cars were either white or the grey color. I still haven't pull the trigger yet and purchased the parts as of yet.
      02-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah spraying was of course another option. I think spraying is always going to give a better finish, but with a wrap, you can just remove it whenever you like.

If you have the M550i - they are Matt Black aren't they? I bet they look better than the standard Grey?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I am thinking about the same thing.
I checked with the dealer. The color for the OEM bumper trim is B27 Dark Shadow Metallic. I thought about doing Dark Graphite Metallic on the M Performance diffusor. After doing some comparison, seems the dark graphite is just a bit "shinier". I decided to go with go with Black Sapphire Metallic which is just a bit darker. I shall take some pictures once done. my car is white though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
I am thinking about the same thing.
I checked with the dealer. The color for the OEM bumper trim is B27 Dark Shadow Metallic. I thought about doing Dark Graphite Metallic on the M Performance diffusor. After doing some comparison, seems the dark graphite is just a bit "shinier". I decided to go with go with Black Sapphire Metallic which is just a bit darker. I shall take some pictures once done. my car is white though.
Definitely want to see some pictures...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
lakerholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e M-Sport

I'm going to wrap the stock M-Sport diffuser on my 530e gloss black. My car is Dark Graphite and the two colors are so close it makes the rear of the car look very frumpy. I think the visual break you get with lighter cars and the stock grey looks great (and would look even better in gloss black on those cars), so I'm hoping it'll help the rear end not seem so big visually.

I'll get this done in a month and post pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’ll post up pics once I’ve had it done
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

So has anyone actually wrapped or painted there diffuser yet ?

Matte black / gloss Black / color matched ?

I ordered a 540I Msport with Mperformance exhaust.. will I get a Matte Black diffuser standard now ? downside .. I still have about 8 more weeks until I get my car.

I have plans to paint or wrap Gloss Black either way and will most likely add the carbon fiber diffuser as well.

Would love to see some pics
      03-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
So has anyone actually wrapped or painted there diffuser yet ?

Matte black / gloss Black / color matched ?

I ordered a 540I Msport with Mperformance exhaust.. will I get a Matte Black diffuser standard now ? downside .. I still have about 8 more weeks until I get my car.

I have plans to paint or wrap Gloss Black either way and will most likely add the carbon fiber diffuser as well.

Would love to see some pics
To get the diffusor, you will need a new bumper trim that is made to go with the diffusor. So I would wait to paint or wrap your stock bumper trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To get the diffusor, you will need a new bumper trim that is made to go with the diffusor. So I would wait to paint or wrap your stock bumper trim.
I thought the upgraded bumper trim came if you ordered the performance exhaust as I was told the m performance exhaust Didnt fit the stock 540i bumper and was changed out with the 550i bumper trim.

Either way Im upgrading the rear end and going gloss black.
Just need to decide mp carbon diffuser or just the center piece upgrade. Going gloss black either way.

Thanks for the heads up

I'll see what shows up as my rear the last week of April when my build arrives
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #11
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
I thought the upgraded bumper trim came if you ordered the performance exhaust as I was told the m performance exhaust Didnt fit the stock 540i bumper and was changed out with the 550i bumper trim.

Either way Im upgrading the rear end and going gloss black.
Just need to decide mp carbon diffuser or just the center piece upgrade. Going gloss black either way.

Thanks for the heads up

I'll see what shows up as my rear the last week of April when my build arrives
MPE or MPPSK come with a new bumper trim but that is not the same trim you need to install MP diffusers.

The one that comes with MPE or MPPSK is actually the same trim that stock M550i/M550d have.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #12
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've seen plenty of other BMW's M140i etc that have had the rear diffuser gloss black. I think wrapping will be the route I go down.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
I've seen plenty of other BMW's M140i etc that have had the rear diffuser gloss black. I think wrapping will be the route I go down.
I think wrapping is a good option if you want to reverse back to the original finish. Otherwise, I sometimes find the cost to be about the same, if not more expensive than painting.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Since I am going to add the finned diffuser I have decided to do the following

order the Matte Black bumper Trim that is required. order the center piece with the fins.. (not the Carbon fiber Piece)

Have the Matte Black Pieces painted Gloss Black and Install.

once I turn in the car I will remove and sell the gloss black pieces and re-install the stock trim

I think the Gloss Black will go good with the Carbon trunk Spoiler and since the Side fins and front Grill are Gloss Black I wanted to keep it all the same rather than having Matte Black on the rear
      03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Since I am going to add the finned diffuser I have decided to do the following

order the Matte Black bumper Trim that is required. order the center piece with the fins.. (not the Carbon fiber Piece)

Have the Matte Black Pieces painted Gloss Black and Install.

once I turn in the car I will remove and sell the gloss black pieces and re-install the stock trim

I think the Gloss Black will go good with the Carbon trunk Spoiler and since the Side fins and front Grill are Gloss Black I wanted to keep it all the same rather than having Matte Black on the rear
That is exactly what i am planning to do in June or July.

When will you do this, would be great to see some pictures before i go ahead and buy

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post

When will you do this, would be great to see some pictures before i go ahead and buy
My Car should be here sometime around the end of April to the 1st week of May.

I went ahead and ordered the parts today

so as soon as they arrive (which will happen ahead of my cars arrival) I plan to take them to my paint shop and then I plan on installing them the day after I pick up my car.

So hopefully I will have pictures up no later than the first couple days of May.

I will do some before pictures / arrival pictures.

then I will install the Carbon fiber rear spoiler / Gloss Black 540I emblem / Gloss Black Diffuser ..

the only thing I am unsure of at the moment is do I leave my Mperformance Exhaust tips Chrome or Paint Gloss Black as well..

think I will leave Chrome at first for a little contrast and make my decision from there.

Since you already have your car.. I am going to go ahead and encourage you .. .PULL THE TRIGGER/ GO FOR IT.. I THINK IT WILL REALLY RAMP UP THE BACK END GIVING IT A MUCH MORE SPORTY LOOK .. in my opinion
      03-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post

My Car should be here sometime around the end of April to the 1st week of May.

I went ahead and ordered the parts today

so as soon as they arrive (which will happen ahead of my cars arrival) I plan to take them to my paint shop and then I plan on installing them the day after I pick up my car.

So hopefully I will have pictures up no later than the first couple days of May.

I will do some before pictures / arrival pictures.

then I will install the Carbon fiber rear spoiler / Gloss Black 540I emblem / Gloss Black Diffuser ..

the only thing I am unsure of at the moment is do I leave my Mperformance Exhaust tips Chrome or Paint Gloss Black as well..

think I will leave Chrome at first for a little contrast and make my decision from there.

Since you already have your car.. I am going to go ahead and encourage you .. .PULL THE TRIGGER/ GO FOR IT.. I THINK IT WILL REALLY RAMP UP THE BACK END GIVING IT A MUCH MORE SPORTY LOOK .. in my opinion
Great to hear, thank you

Painting the tips is a good idea, will look awesome.
When i had the MPPSK installed i wanted to order the carbon tips but they were not available back then. Painting black would probably match better, would be much cheaper too

Looking forward to seeing your car almost as much as you do

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 03:42 AM   #18
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered some Orcal Gloss Black wrap and going to attempt to wrap it myself this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome. Look forward to pics
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok.. So after seeing this pic I think I am re-thinking my rear look

Based on this I am gonna pass on the Gloss Black 540I emblem and def stay with the Gloss Black Bumper trim and finned diffuser..

Don't think the Carbon Fiber diffuser goes well with the Gloss Black and the Bluestone..

But at the same time , I will probably still add the Carbon lip spoiler

but going to leave my Mperformance Exhaust tips Chrome at first as well as the emblem.

I could always plasti-dip and exhaust tip and look at the difference between black or Chrome to make my decision from there..

Think I will also pass on the side sills I was considering ordering. (was never going to add the Mperformance stickers though)

for the Front I have gloss black Grills and side grills standard. Think I am going to add the bluestone color matched front side reflectors, tint windows and probably Gloss Black Wrap the roof... but still unsure I want a mixture of Sport and luxury .. I love the sport look more just don't want to over do it on my 5. A proper Blend is what I am aiming for
Attached Images

04-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #21
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is my gloss black wrap...

Total time to remove the bumper, wrap it and refit it was about 3 hours...

My wife helped me wrap the bumper and its much easier with 2 people. Also buying a quality wrap helps so much - the air bubbles just come straight out with a bit of heat.

Not a difficult job, you just have to be patient and take your time.

The weird thing is, you don't actually notice that its a different colour, it looks like it should have been like that from the beginning.

Having now done it - I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #22
BMWFamilyMan
Fnatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30

Guys, need your help. I'll be installing the performance matte black bumper + diffuser (not carbon fibre one) and I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go color wise.

My car is Black Sapphire with black 664M wheels and black grille. Should I keep the new diffuser in matte black for a bit of contrast, go gloss black, or paint Black Sapphire?

Or maybe keep bumper matte and paint diffuser part gloss?

What do you say?
Appreciate 0