BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Oil to purchase BMW g30 540i xdrive 2017 and question

03-03-2024, 02:59 PM   #1
bimmer_lover
Rep
Drives: bmwg30

Oil to purchase BMW g30 540i xdrive 2017 and question

Hi guys i bought secondd hand bmw g30 540i xdrive last year in may. It had then recently done service.
I drove a long tour in summer making Europe tour for around 12 thousand kilometers, and then drove a few thousand km's after arriving home.
Now I am thinking that i should have changed oil after the trip, or is the damage already done? Because im the trip we drove on autobahn aswell and high speeds often.

Anyways my question is, what oil should i buy now for my car? Should i just follow dealership recommendation? They said the car will know when to change oil and not to worry.
I feel like i should change oil but i want to use good oil that can tolerate harsh winter conditions (Scandinavia).

Any other things i should be aware of regarding my car? To look for when I bring it to my mechanic?car has gone 57 000 kilometer.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

A single incident of going over on your mileage, assuming it's not by a huge margin, shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't make a habit out of it. I do my oil twice a year, which usually works out to about 6000 miles, even though the interval is 10,000 miles. I just don't believe it's ok to do that long of an interval. ....but I may be too old school, growing with mandatory 3000 mile oil changes.

Here is a very comprehensive article on engine oils for BMW, with specific info by engine model. There are others, like Castrol or Mobile 1. I typically use Mobile 1 because it's the easiest to get my hands on. That being said, this time around I went with Redline.

The important part is to make sure you get one of the recommended viscosities with (this is the technically important bit) the correct API and group numbers.

Very generally speaking, the harder you run your car the higher viscosity you want to consider. E.g., if you take your car to the track, you may want 10W40 vs 5W30. Also, you may want thinner oil in the winter, like 0W30, if it gets very cold.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 03-03-2024 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
bimmer_lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
A single incident of going over on your mileage, assuming it's not by a huge margin, shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't make a habit out of it. I do my oil twice a year, which usually works out to about 6000 miles, even though the interval is 10,000 miles. I just don't believe it's ok to do that long of an interval. ....but I may be too old school, growing with mandatory 3000 mile oil changes.

Here is a very comprehensive article on engine oils for BMW, with specific info by engine model. There are others, like Castrol or Mobile 1. I typically use Mobile 1 because it's the easiest to get my hands on. That being said, this time around I went with Redline.

The important part is to make sure you get one of the recommended viscosities with (this is the technically important bit) the correct API and group numbers.

Very generally speaking, the harder you run your car the higher viscosity you want to consider. E.g., if you take your car to the track, you may want 10W40 vs 5W30. Also, you may want thinner oil in the winter, like 0W30, if it gets very cold.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

Would for example Febi Bilstein Engine Oil 5W-30 LL04 work?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:42 PM   #4
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like yes, since you're in Sweden. Looks good for US, as well but has some caveats, based on that article.

Don't quote me, though. Do your homework. ....or ask a local performance shop or BMW specialty shop. I'm just a DIYer. So, I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:53 AM   #5
bimmer_lover
Rep

Thanks! I ended up going for the 5w30.
Talked to dealer who claimed original is 0w30 and going anything else may impact the turbo charge, but didn't think of it like being a difference, but that he couldnt recommend anything except original.

The vendor said 5w30 is fine. I dont drive on track, and also now the climate is warmer here. So 5w30 should be fine for me.

I ended up buying gulf formula cx ll 04 5w30
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #6
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dealers will never recommend anything except OE. If they did, and something went wrong, they'd be on the hook for it.
Appreciate 0