BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina - (Information as of 8/5/2020)

08-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina - (Information as of 8/5/2020)

I thought I'd post this information as a stand alone thread for anyone just interested in the current state of the Performance Center Delivery experience.

It's post 199 in the thread 'My MY 2021 M550ix Build & Performance Center Delivery' if you want to look over the whole thread.

----------------------------------------------------

I received my welcome letter from BMW for Performance Center Delivery. What follows is what I gleaned from it, and I've provided the welcome letter and attachments for anyone who is interested to review. Choosing this option is up to you, and an arrangement between you, the dealer, and BMW. I'm just passing along information as a customer, not a representative of BMW.

Some things I noticed that you'll want to be aware of:

You need to complete and return the Travel Form no earlier than three weeks prior to delivery.

You need to complete the purchase with your local CA NLT a week prior to the delivery date.

Bring your bill of sale, proof of insurance, temp tags or license plates provided by your CA to the Center for your delivery.

Factory tours at the plant are not being offered due to the Covid-19 situation.

If you answer yes to their Covid-19 screening questions (attached), they will not let you in the Center or participate in the delivery experience. You need to take the survey on-line no sooner than 24 hours prior to delivery day and print the 'Access Approval' page or save a screenshot on your phone to show upon arrival at the Performance Center the day of your delivery.

South Carolina imposes a use tax of $500 upon the first us e of a new vehicle purchased in some states - apparently its not often collected, but it's possible - see the attachment for details.

Also, note that once the vehicle is transported to the Performance Center (about two weeks prior to your delivery date), if you choose to cancel the experience, you are on the hook for the transportation charges to your local dealer. If it hasn't been sent to the Performance Center and you cancel, BMW covers the shipping to your local dealer.

The Covid situation obviously impacts the delivery, but it appears BMW is doing what they can to remain flexible, yet safe - selecting this delivery option is a ultimately a personal decision.

The Welcome Letter (e-mail) follows:

------------------------------------------------

Dear TomWinMD,

We are excited you have chosen to take delivery of your new vehicle at the BMW Performance Center. This email is to confirm your Performance Center Delivery for production number 000000 which is scheduled for 9/1/2020. You will stay the evening prior to your delivery at the Greenville Marriott as our guest. A block of rooms is reserved each week under our account at the hotel and you will not be assigned a room until check-in. Please do not contact the hotel to confirm your reservation. This email acts as the confirmation for both your hotel and delivery experience.

Please note that the BMW Performance Center is closely monitoring the developments regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus). This is an unprecedented national health emergency and we will continue to develop and adjust our plans as necessary. Currently BMW Manufacturing has informed us they have suspended all factory tours and a tour will not be available on the day of your delivery. Also, all guests will be asked to wear a mask during the vehicle overview, while touring the BMW Museum and when social distancing of 6 feet or more is not possible. You may choose to bring your own mask, or one can be provided to you upon arrival to the BMW Performance Center.

Due to the constantly changing environment surrounding COVID-19, we do not recommend making any travel arrangements until 2 weeks prior to your delivery date. If we encounter delays due to COVID-19 closures, production schedules, weather, or any other unforeseeable circumstances, your delivery date may need to be changed prior to that 2-week window. If we are notified of a delay, we will contact you immediately to arrange a new delivery date.

The attached Performance Center Delivery Information flyer will inform you of what to expect during your delivery and travel information which may be beneficial in planning your trip.

Important Information:

· The delivery program is designed for you and one guest; additional guests cannot be accommodated, NO EXCEPTIONS.

· Your delivery day will start at 8am and conclude around 3pm.

· Participants must present a valid driver’s license (participants 15 to 17 years of age must be accompanied by a legal guardian).

· Childcare services are not available. If your guest is a child under the age of 12, you will be required to accompany them in our café and will not be able to participate in the BMW factory tour or any driving activities during the day.

· No pets are allowed at the BMW Performance Center or the Marriott hotel.

· Dress code is casual and comfortable. Completely enclosed shoes (no high heels, sandals, or clogs) are required.

· European Delivery customers, who have already taken delivery of their vehicle in Europe, will not receive a vehicle overview during re-delivery.

Please read the following important documents attached:

IMPORTANT – Covid-19 Info
Performance Center Delivery Information
Includes

o What to Expect

o Important Information About Your Delivery

o Travel Information

o Things to Bring

o Visitor Information

Travel Form

Please complete and return your travel form no earlier than two weeks prior to your delivery.

Accessories

Accessories are unable to be installed at the BMW Performance Center. Some accessories can be installed at the port prior to the vehicle being transported to our facility. Please check with your BMW Client Advisor for information and pricing on accessories for your new BMW.

Cancellations

If you need to cancel your Performance Center Delivery, notify the BMW Center from whom you ordered the vehicle immediately. They are required to submit a cancellation form for your vehicle. Please note the following two circumstances and the resulting outcome:

- If the vehicle has already been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, you are responsible for any shipping charges that apply to transport the vehicle back to your selling BMW Center. Vehicles are delivered to our facility approximately 2 weeks prior to your delivery date.

- If the vehicle has not been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, upon receipt of the Cancellation Form the vehicle will be re-routed for transport to your selling BMW Center at no additional cost.

We hope your trip here will be a highlight in your automotive experiences and we look forward to meeting you soon. If you have any questions regarding your delivery, please email us at PerformanceCenterDelivery@bmwmc.com . To visit us on BMWUSA.com click here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hope this gives you a good idea of what to expect for a Performance Center Delivery, and obviously, all of this information is subject to change at BMW's discretion.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Customer Tax Letter (email attachment).pdf (56.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: pdf Delivery Information.pdf (1.03 MB, 403 views)
File Type: pdf IMPORTANT- COVID-19 Info-1.pdf (20.7 KB, 160 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Travel Information Form_Delivery.doc (60.5 KB, 162 views)

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 3
      08-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
haustheiss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2018 X5, 2021 540xi

Thanks for posting Tom, considering picking up our 540 in SC, need to get out of the house and drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haustheiss View Post
Thanks for posting Tom, considering picking up our 540 in SC, need to get out of the house and drive.
Happy do it. If you have any questions as this plays out, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Paperwork Signed / Ready to Take Delivery!

I signed the paperwork yesterday evening with my CA.

For the Performance Delivery Experience, the process works like this:

You sign the paperwork one week prior to delivery, the car is moved from the port of Charleston (for east coast deliveries - not sure about the process for taking delivery at Thermal, CA) a few days prior, but no more than two weeks out from delivery.

The paperwork consists of accepting or declining additional services, add-on warranties, bill of sale, vehicle registration, and of course - handing over the money.

You come away with copies of everything you signed, receipts for your money, the vehicle registration and the tags.

When you arrive at the Performance Center on delivery day, you need to have your bill of sale, registration, the plates (temp or otherwise - make sure you have the expiration stickers for the plates), your insurance card, and your identification (i.e. license).

In the current Covid climate, the Performance Center is limiting deliveries to three a day (to keep the total number of people to no more than six) - they normally do 10 a day.

You must complete their Covid exposure questionairre 24 hours prior to arrival and bring it (or a screen grab on your phone) with you - or you will be forced to reschedule.

More to follow after delivery day. Stay tuned.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Made it to Greer (had to do a drive by of the Performance Center) and spent the night in the hotel. Dinner was great, the breakfast options are less than ideal, but they are still managing in the midst of Covid. The hotel staff is great and very friendly.
Attached Images

Tom

Appreciate 3
      09-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Well, delivery day is over, so here are my impressions.

First - if you can find the time to do it, do it.

Covid impacts everything now, and South Carolina is still on the road to getting a handle on things and opening businesses back up.

Having said that, the people at the Marriott and the Performance Center are really great and handling things very professionally.

The people at the Performance Center are great - friendly, professional, and they make the experience very enjoyable.

After check in and ensuring everyone has signed the waivers for driving, you get a wrist band that tags you as a delivery customer, and gets you 15% off in the gift shop (which will be on top of any other discounts in effect in the store).

They are doing only three deliveries a day (due to Covid), normally they run ten deliveries - usually divided into two groups, a morning and afternoon delivery group.

On our delivery day, they were delivering my M550, and two X3s.

After the paperwork is completed in the lobby, your instructor takes you back to a classroom for a brief orientation to the two-hour drive segment, then it's off to the track.

Each delivery participant is assigned a car from the center's fleet that is the same model of the car they have bought.

Once the instructor has everyone get properly positioned in the seat for proper performance driving, they lead you out to the track. First up - proper braking technique and handling under braking.

After several runs from 20 mph up to 60 miles an hour for the new owner and their companion (if they brought one along), it's time for the short track course.

The instructor leads the drivers through the course, demonstrating the driving line, and then the drivers run the course, gradually increasing speed as they gain confidence. You top out at about 40-50 miles an hour, and it's a really good challenge for the novice racing driver in us all. Both driver and companion make 6-8 runs through the course.

Next up, the skid pad. Normally, the instructor would join the driver in the car, but with Covid, it was all handled over the radio. Additionally, we used the instructors M340i, as all our cars had X-Drive, and the pure rear wheel drive of the M340i is better at helping the drivers understand the ability of the DSC system in the cars.

First step on the skid pad - follow the instructor's commands and spin the car in a complete 360 (or more) with the DSC turned all the way off.

Then, turn it back on, and race around the skid pad pushing the car to break the rear end loose and force the DSC to engage as you work to keep the car under control. After a couple of trips around the skid pad, it's time for the last event of the high performance driving segment.

The Hot Lap with the Instructor - for this lap, the instructor uses an M5, in full rear wheel drive mode, and the delivery guest and their companion get to ride along as the instructor runs a hot lap of the entire course at race speed. If you're the person in the back seat, hold on, because the seat belt isn't enough.

After the hot lap, it's time to move to the off-road course. This is a bit more tame in terms of speed, but seeing the X vehicles up on two or three wheels at step angles and then feeling it as you take your vehicle over the course is impressive. You also wade through 18 inches of water with the cars, and then it's back to the center for the best part:

The Delivery! You are paired with a delivery expert that knows all the features of your car and they spend an hour or more going over every feature, function, switch, and enabling Connected Drive services. They also attach the temp tags/license plates at this point.

My car was the first LCI 5 series with the 820 iDrive 7.0 software update, so they were still learning about the new features.

After the actual delivery, it's time for lunch at the center's cafe - they have a better than average cafe with a couple of cooks making and serving the kind of menu you would find at an high end corporation like BMW. It's not table linen and silver service, but it's good food. They also have good size tables reserved for each delivery so there is plenty of social distancing during lunch. Your delivery expert will join you (if you don't object - don't) and you can ask more questions or just talk about the weather and the delivery expert's background.

After lunch (1PM), you can head over to the BMW Zentrum for the museum tour. It's not open to the public at this time, so it's an extra benefit you should take advantage of - while the factory tours are closed during Covid, the museum also runs a video of the factory assembly process.

The tour is over by 2PM, and then you can head back to the Performance Center where you can hit the gift shop and use the 15% discount. The museum has a gift shop, but there is more merchandise in the one at the Performance Center.

Overall, I'd do it again, and I'm looking forward to coming back to attend the driving courses they offer.

I'll load up some pictures soon.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them.
Attached Images

Tom

Appreciate 7
      09-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
moe562
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i, 2013 535i

Thank you very much for the post!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

This write up is outstanding! Thank you for the thorough job. It's not European Delivery but I guess we have to take what we can get for now. If I ever get a new car, I'm going to look at the Performance Center delivery for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
This write up is outstanding! Thank you for the thorough job. It's not European Delivery but I guess we have to take what we can get for now. If I ever get a new car, I'm going to look at the Performance Center delivery for sure.
Thanks. Glad you found it informative.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe562 View Post
Thank you very much for the post!
My pleasure.

Glad you found it useful.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
MYBMR
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Tom, Thanks for providing these details on your delivery experience. Congrats on your new car!
Appreciate 0