BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions “P” button not pressing right on shift stick 2018 530

11-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

“P” button not pressing right on shift stick 2018 530

The “p” park button the joystick shifter isnt pressing smooth like it used to be u can hear it hard clicking like a double click when pressed kinda stiff. If taken to bmw dealer do they have to change the whole shift stick or there is a way just for the P button?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife View Post
The “p” park button the joystick shifter isnt pressing smooth like it used to be u can hear it hard clicking like a double click when pressed kinda stiff. If taken to bmw dealer do they have to change the whole shift stick or there is a way just for the P button?
Probably they have to replace the entire assembly.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just for the P the whole assembly.... damn

Is it a easy install or requires lots of
Time and work?

Last edited by livinlife; 11-25-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Might be something pretty simple to sort out. You wouldn't know until you take the car to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Just for the P the whole assembly.... damn

Is it a easy install or requires lots of
Time and work?
No one repairs things these days. Dealers only replace parts.

Relax, that's what the warranty is for.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The "p" park button the joystick shifter isnt pressing smooth like it used to be u can hear it hard clicking like a double click when pressed kinda stiff. If taken to bmw dealer do they have to change the whole shift stick or there is a way just for the P button?
There's a repair kit. Keep in mind that if it's due to something being spilled, it may be a customer pay repair. The button is also redundant as pressing the ignition off engages park.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
There's a repair kit. Keep in mind that if it's due to something being spilled, it may be a customer pay repair. The button is also redundant as pressing the ignition off engages park.
so ur saying they will repair the button only

its intermediate issue so thats why its gonna be hard to show to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
so ur saying they will repair the button only

its intermediate issue so thats why its gonna be hard to show to dealer.
I'm willing to bet it's not as intermediate as you think and not actually "broken". Seems to me, based on your other posts, a beverage with corn syrup has spilled/splashed onto the gear selector. I'm guessing the car isn't garaged and as the temp fluctuates, the effect of the substance changes. With the current ambient temp in MIA, it probably feels slightly sticky, tomorrow probably won't be noticeable, but Wednesday morning would be crunchy.

On a dealer repair level in that case, they'll likely just pull the button, contact sensor and clean (.5 labor) unless it's bad enough to call for a button repair kit ($50 + labor) or worst case, a full GWS assembly ($800 + labor).

All of the "problems" you've inquired about are self induced so don't expect much empathy from here.
Appreciate 0