BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding sound vibrations through my sideskirts

03-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i g30

Hi peeps
I have a 2017 540i m sport g30, recently my sideskirts are vibrating heavily when playing any music with bass and it vibrates theough to inside of the car.

When i hold the sideskirt its fine but when i let go its annoying, anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?

Thanks

Ps its only the passenger sideskirt that vibrates, right is fine
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 04:24 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

My first thought is one or more of the plastic retaining clips are broken, which isn't uncommon. Also, the plastic clips come with a rubber seal and one or more of those seals might be missing. You can purchase new clips and either DIY or take it to any body shop who can handle replacing them in about 20 minutes.
      03-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #3
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
My first thought is one or more of the plastic retaining clips are broken, which isn't uncommon. Also, the plastic clips come with a rubber seal and one or more of those seals might be missing. You can purchase new clips and either DIY or take it to any body shop who can handle replacing them in about 20 minutes.
Thanks claykin, i guess i have to strip the side skirt panel and locate the clips, are these easy to take off with side splitter on?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #4
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep

Eventually, took time to sort the constant music vibrations under heavy bass in my sills / rocker panels.

Originally bought 2 middle brackets for the left sill thinking it was broken brackets as that's where the sound was coming from but when i removed the sill it was just loose push fittings bmw use to hold the brackets in. So wasted £30 there for the 2 bracket. I bought 2mm sound deading from amazon made by easigear. Easy to cut to shape and installed behind the brackets. I had to be careful here as didn't want to use too much as will effect sills from sticking to far out after i reinstalled them. I installed the brackets using 6mm plastic pop rivets rather than bmw's white push fittings.

Sound tested again playing tinie tempah's Pass Out and it solved the issue. This was in october.

3 weeks later, noticed there was still sound vibrating but this time from the other left sill brackets onthe far ends of each side and the middle right sill. Back to drawing board and yesterday removed 8 x 8mm bolts and 1 x 10mm bolt again, sill off and front and rear brackets removed and placed sound deadening. Did the same for all brackets on the right hand side.

Sound is now amazing on any music i play and how BMW should have made the car from factory, cant believe they used push fittings and not screws or stronger pop rivets for these brackets. There is only one screw in the third bracket of eah sill and a mix off push fittings. Poor design to be fair.

For now i can enjoy music without the annoyance of music vibrating on the outer side of the car.

Car does need a good detail now...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 09:07 PM   #5
pault1980
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 530D

Handy to know - thanks! Only recently discovered that the nasty vibration that I thought was a sub playing up was actually my side skirts - this gives me the incentive to sort it!
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 12:21 AM   #6
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault1980 View Post
Handy to know - thanks! Only recently discovered that the nasty vibration that I thought was a sub playing up was actually my side skirts - this gives me the incentive to sort it!
No worries, it was easier than i thought to remove the sills and brackets...hope you get it sorted..
Appreciate 0