BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering Wheel Grinding Noise?

01-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
Evelyn Powell
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30

Steering Wheel Grinding Noise?

Hello,

My 2018 G30 makes this weird grinding noise when I let go of the steering wheel after turning the car. It happens 70% of the time, you can hear it in the videos below:

In the video below, you can hear the weird noise at 0:12

Whilst in the video below, you can hear the noise at 0:06 and 0:16

My car is rwd, has done about 22.000kms, never done anything with its suspension or steering system, the only alteration is its wheels, I upgraded from 18 inch to 20 inch (using manufacturer recommended tyre size (245/35/20 and 275/30/20)), but I suppose changing the wheels does not have anything to do with this issue, does it?
The car does not have active steering wheel, I align and balance the tire every six months, and never took my car racing.

At this point I don't know whether the steering wheel supposed to make this noise or not. It happens almost everytime I let go of the steering wheel, only sometimes during turning.

Has anyone ever heard the noise like this coming off of the steering wheel in their G30 or other BMW?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:27 AM   #2
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

My E92 had similar problem, something was broken in steering wheel. They fix it under warranty, worth a trip to dealer to check it out before you try fixing yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:43 AM   #3
Evelyn Powell
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuwes710 View Post
My E92 had similar problem, something was broken in steering wheel. They fix it under warranty, worth a trip to dealer to check it out before you try fixing yourself

Thank you for sharing your experience. Great car, the E92, still one of the most beautiful coupes 😀.

So I have met the service advisor, told him everything, got my car checked, apparently about 1000kms ago, there was "Steering behaviour, drive moderately" message, but it does not appear now. Need to get my car checked for "full" diagnosis. I hope the dealer can also fix my car for free since it's still under warranty.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 05:31 AM   #4
Wwwbingcom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Powell View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. Great car, the E92, still one of the most beautiful coupes 😀.

So I have met the service advisor, told him everything, got my car checked, apparently about 1000kms ago, there was "Steering behaviour, drive moderately" message, but it does not appear now. Need to get my car checked for "full" diagnosis. I hope the dealer can also fix my car for free since it's still under warranty.

Thanks.
Hi mate did you find the issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 05:47 AM   #5
Evelyn Powell
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwwbingcom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Powell View Post

Thanks.
Hi mate did you find the issue?
Hello, nope, nothing yet, I haven't got time to leave the car in the dealer for full inspection yet.

However, I left my car at the dealer for a couple of hours last week to fix coolant leakage, and they found "Increased steering effort, drive moderately" and "steering behaviour, drive moderately" problems on the ISPA (although I never saw those notifications on the iDrive myself).

After they fixed the leak, miraculously the grinding sound has disappeared and I also notice the steering wheel is now a bit lighter than before. I believe they must have reset something.

Pretty weird…
Appreciate 0