BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Carbahn Tune Installed — HOLY SH*%

01-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #45
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Damn, that dude straight up lied to me. I asked him point blank if they cover the FACTORY warranty or Extended .....and he told me they go until any CPO or extended warranty expires. Not very impressed.
Probably was answering from his dealership perspective. Meaning a BMW CPO or Extended Warranty may “cover” it at this dealer since they have room to decide what the BMW warranties cover. A dealer that doesn’t sell this tune though may not be as liberal with their interpretation of the failure reason.

But always get it in writing…
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:59 AM   #46
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Probably was answering from his dealership perspective. Meaning a BMW CPO or Extended Warranty may “cover” it at this dealer since they have room to decide what the BMW warranties cover. A dealer that doesn’t sell this tune though may not be as liberal with their interpretation of the failure reason.

But always get it in writing…
Right, but what ticks me off is he was saying that Carbahn would be paying the dealership for repairs through any CPO or Extended warranty. That is absolutely not true.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #47
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I understand, however do you really think that if an extended company sees the tune, they will cover the repair? I would get that in writing from Hendrick directly, not a dealership who works with Carbahn and wants to make a sale.
I did get it in writing from Hendrick. I didn't deal with Carbahn at all. BMW of Southpoint sold me the tune, they installed, they are the ones who stand behind their products or reseller products.
Appreciate 1
NGT25568.50
      01-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #48
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC M550 VADER View Post
I did get it in writing from Hendrick. I didn't deal with Carbahn at all. BMW of Southpoint sold me the tune, they installed, they are the ones who stand behind their products or reseller products.
Sounds like you're all set. Unfortunately there are zero BMW dealerships anywhere in New England that are partnered with Carbahn. There's a handful of speed shops who are, but then you run the "will they see the tune" if something goes wrong needing dealership repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #49
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I'm sure the tune itself is fine, as are most other Stage 1 tunes. I just prefer to deal with people who are upfront from the get go without trying to sell me something that doesn't work.

Never had one issue with BMS Stage 1 tune on the M2 and they told me right away what was needed. Gained 10 mph in trap speed from stock to Stage 1 with them, so definitely was worth it on the F87 series.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337244.50
      01-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #50
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's strange. It's not BMW that provides the warranty, but Carbahn - and only for the initial warranty period of 4 years or 48 months.

So let's say you are within your initial warranty and something brakes down. If BMW states that the tune was the reason why it broke down, they go to Carbahn and ask them to cover the repair charges.

Now, if you are out of the initial warranty, Carbahn does not even warranty anything. Even if you have a CPO BMW, they won't cover anything beyond the original warranty of 4/48.

It would be strange that BMW would be willing to cover a tune that the manufacturer of the tune (Carbahn) does not even cover beyond the original warranty. The only time I could see that happening is if they were to lie to the 3rd party warranty company that a tune was not installed.
I think you are misconstruing what I said. Basically, if I suffer a failure because of the tune, coverage will NOT be excluded under the Hendrick Autoguard. They are reselling the product and they stand behind it. You are right that had I been under the original factory warranty, the Carbahn warranty acts as additional coverage to the extent that BMW would not cover repairs.

Cheers!
I concur with AmooManiak. The Dinan and Carbahn warranty only is in effect during the factory 4 yr warranty. When the car hits CPO neither company's warranty is in effect. Your dealer claims do not add up. You didn't even buy the Carbahn warranty but the dealer or you third party company says no problem with the tune, I got you?

I think you misunderstood something along the way or the "guy" at your dealer is shoveling shit your way. If your car is of need of a repair and it's because of the tune, I honestly don't see where your coverage is coming from. No friggin way is an aftermarket warranty paying up.

What exactly do you have in writing?

I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of the tune causing damage. I just think this all sounds misleading.
      01-07-2022, 04:57 PM   #51
TacticalGunnarM550
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i; 2017 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's strange. It's not BMW that provides the warranty, but Carbahn - and only for the initial warranty period of 4 years or 48 months.

So let's say you are within your initial warranty and something brakes down. If BMW states that the tune was the reason why it broke down, they go to Carbahn and ask them to cover the repair charges.

Now, if you are out of the initial warranty, Carbahn does not even warranty anything. Even if you have a CPO BMW, they won't cover anything beyond the original warranty of 4/48.

It would be strange that BMW would be willing to cover a tune that the manufacturer of the tune (Carbahn) does not even cover beyond the original warranty. The only time I could see that happening is if they were to lie to the 3rd party warranty company that a tune was not installed.
I think you are misconstruing what I said. Basically, if I suffer a failure because of the tune, coverage will NOT be excluded under the Hendrick Autoguard. They are reselling the product and they stand behind it. You are right that had I been under the original factory warranty, the Carbahn warranty acts as additional coverage to the extent that BMW would not cover repairs.

Cheers!
I concur with AmooManiak. The Dinan and Carbahn warranty only is in effect during the factory 4 yr warranty. When the car hits CPO neither company's warranty is in effect. Your dealer claims do not add up. You didn't even buy the Carbahn warranty but the dealer or you third party company says no problem with the tune, I got you?

I think you misunderstood something along the way or the "guy" at your dealer is shoveling shit your way. If your car is of need of a repair and it's because of the tune, I honestly don't see where your coverage is coming from. No friggin way is an aftermarket warranty paying up.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of the tune causing damage. I just think this all sounds misleading.
I mean with an aftermarket Third party warranty, he isn't required to go to a BMW dealership all of the time..Only factory/CPO would require you to go to BMW.

it is possible that a shop that isn't a BMW dealer may not even catch the tune...

This could be true especially if you go to a BMW "enthusiast" shop in your area, they're getting paid either way so i doubt they care if the tunes on or not if they did notice it..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #52
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalGunnarM550 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!

I mean with an aftermarket Third party warranty, he isn't required to go to a BMW dealership all of the time..Only factory/CPO would require you to go to BMW.

it is possible that a shop that isn't a BMW dealer may not even catch the tune...

This could be true especially if you go to a BMW "enthusiast" shop in your area, they're getting paid either way so i doubt they care if the tunes on or not if they did notice it..
The issue isn't the discovery of the tune. The question is about the claim that he is covered under some type of warranty for failure directly related to the tune, which I highly doubt is the case.
      01-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #53
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!

You have a really condescending tone. I don't know you, nor am I trying to convince you of anything.

The point here is that my dealer warranty will NOT be voided if something happens due to the tune. The tune that was sold to me by — you guessed it — that same dealer!

That's all I was trying to convey.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:07 PM   #54
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!

You have a really condescending tone. I don't know you, nor am I trying to convince you of anything.

The point here is that my dealer warranty will NOT be voided if something happens due to the tune. The tune that was sold to me by — you guessed it — that same dealer!

That's all I was trying to convey.
Apologies if you took my comments as condescending. Tunes and warranty coverage is a hot and confusing topic. I was just trying to understand and also challenge a bit from what I understand and also make you aware of inconsistencies. I'm also interested genuinely.

You are right. You don't need to prove anything to me or to help others understand how Carbahn works with regard to warranties. You just wanted a "my car is fast as Fuck" thread with no questions asked. The dealer said you have a warranty and that's good enough for you, got it. I wish my locally owned dealer will foot the bill for a new engine when BMW North America won't. That's a stand up dealer. It doesn't add up to me and it's none of my business I guess, or anyone else that has a detailed question on it.

Good luck with your tune. I'll stay out any threads you are active in for sure.
      01-10-2022, 06:19 AM   #55
wigglebutts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SctsOut06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
This is pretty wild if these numbers are real. Would like to see either draggy or a dyno run from an actual M550i owner. Too bad I just decided to buy an extended warranty.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...ne-model-n63b/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SctsOut06 View Post
That's like 240 hp - that's nutty.
The numbers are at the flywheel. 15-20% of drivetrain loss could be more like in the mid 500hp range and low 600ftlb area. More like 100hp and a little more than 100ftlb than stock.
That is a good point. Mid-500 is a bit more in line with the BM3 93 tune. I think they claim like a 25% increase in HP.
Are you calculating stock WHP- tuned WHP? Seems like you two are calculating Stock Crank to Tuned WHP. Which isn't fair.
      01-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #56
Big_tugg
Rep
Drives: M550i & 528i

Quote:
Just keep in mind those numbers are not to the wheels. In reality, you will be going from 523 to maybe 600. Nice gains, but you won't be pushing 700hp to the wheels. I am also not sure I would pay 2X
for the warranty. Let's get together soon Mark and I will let you drive my car with my tune, I would also like to drive yours. I am curious how my V2 compares to your stock 523HP. I am supposed to be in the mid to upper 500's, but would love to see how your car feels and also have you weigh in on how my car feels to you. Hopefully we will get a nice day soon. I haven't driven mine in 6 weeks!
depends on how modded your v2 is. Full bolt-on V2 started to pull away top-end. But my 18' w/ carbahn tune was fast enough for me to sell my v2
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 08:57 PM   #57
DonDm550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Garage List
2018 M550i  [0.00]
I also have an '18 M550ix and looking at a Carbahn tune or JB4 piggyback. I talked to a rep at Carbahn and he suggested against the warranty because the OEM warranty on my car is up in a month and he said most extended warranty companies are less particular than BMW. My local dealers (Houston) have quit working with Dinan due to poor customer service (so they tell me). The JB4 solution should be "invisible" when it's removed to a dealer or CPO/extended warranty company. I'm looking for a few more HP from the N63R and don't need every last ounce. Appreciate any comments/thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 12:09 AM   #58
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking at the X..will the X get rid of a CEL if i put a downpipe on?
I don't know the answer to that for sure, but I doubt it. I think you need one of the aggressive ECU flashes to remedy that. This is still a piggy back. I would just shoot a message to Dinan. They are great on getting back to people with comprehensive answers. If you ask, please post back the answer. I am curious as well.
You guys have made me curious. There is a stage 1 Carbahn tune available for my 2018 540i. It has an option to come with a flashing tablet, instead of going to a Carbahn dealer or sending in the computer. The closest dealer I've found is going to be 6-8 hours away (either St Louis or ATL and I'm in west TN).

If I purchase the flashing tablet, I'd that something I can then install myself? It seems like that would be the reason to do it, but I'm new and thought I'd ask.

I am a little surprised there isn't a dealer in Nashville or Alabama, but the Carbahn site's dealer locator said no dice anywhere in TN, AL, MS, or AR. No surprise on MS, understandable in AR, but figured TN/AL might have one.

On the warranty, doesn't seem like it covers much of anything after factory warranty is up. Mine is up later this year. Not sure it would be worth the 2x pricing ($500 for the tune, $500 for the warranty, $299 for the flashing tablet).

There's also an option for $100 exhaust overrun and "start up roar" but not sure that's really worth it, especially with stock exhaust. Although they're exhaust upgrade also looks intriguing and cheaper than MPPSK.

I'm replying to Joe because he's been helpful multiple times already, but any input/knowledge/advice would be appreciated.

Mine is not an M Sport, but I kind of like the idea of having an even faster yet unassuming car. I was reassured to see other models identical to mine tuned up online. On this forum I feel like the majority are M Sport models (which are also very cool).

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:22 AM   #59
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know the answer to that for sure, but I doubt it. I think you need one of the aggressive ECU flashes to remedy that. This is still a piggy back. I would just shoot a message to Dinan. They are great on getting back to people with comprehensive answers. If you ask, please post back the answer. I am curious as well.
You guys have made me curious. There is a stage 1 Carbahn tune available for my 2018 540i. It has an option to come with a flashing tablet, instead of going to a Carbahn dealer or sending in the computer. The closest dealer I've found is going to be 6-8 hours away (either St Louis or ATL and I'm in west TN).

If I purchase the flashing tablet, I'd that something I can then install myself? It seems like that would be the reason to do it, but I'm new and thought I'd ask.

I am a little surprised there isn't a dealer in Nashville or Alabama, but the Carbahn site's dealer locator said no dice anywhere in TN, AL, MS, or AR. No surprise on MS, understandable in AR, but figured TN/AL might have one.

On the warranty, doesn't seem like it covers much of anything after factory warranty is up. Mine is up later this year. Not sure it would be worth the 2x pricing ($500 for the tune, $500 for the warranty, $299 for the flashing tablet).

There's also an option for $100 exhaust overrun and "start up roar" but not sure that's really worth it, especially with stock exhaust. Although they're exhaust upgrade also looks intriguing and cheaper than MPPSK.

I'm replying to Joe because he's been helpful multiple times already, but any input/knowledge/advice would be appreciated.

Mine is not an M Sport, but I kind of like the idea of having an even faster yet unassuming car. I was reassured to see other models identical to mine tuned up online. On this forum I feel like the majority are M Sport models (which are also very cool).
So here is my honest perspective almost one year later of having the V2 piggy back installed. I probably put too much weight on the need for a warranty in hindsight and subsequently overpaid from and increase per dollar perspective. Especially since the Dinan warranty only is in place for the four year factory warranty and not CPO. The Dinan tune is one of the most conservative, so it's probably not going to be a culprit of a major engine failure.

The piggy backs do add the convenience of removing without a trace and some of the ECU flashes make claims to flash to stock. I'm honestly not sure how traceable that is.

Given your logistical challenges of finding an installer. I'd take a look at BM3. I'm no expert but a lot of people are very happy with it. I recently looked into it again through the website and I believe it's pretty much download the software, buy a license ($700) and flash your car with either a PC or a phone. The Map 1 numbers are impressive and the map with the need for 93 octane is even more impressive. It also appears you can use the phone app for changing maps on the fly including back to stock with an adapter.

Just a thought. A year ago I dismissed BM3 out of hand out of ignorance.
NGT25568.50
      03-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #60
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So here is my honest perspective almost one year later of having the V2 piggy back installed. I probably put too much weight on the need for a warranty in hindsight and subsequently overpaid from and increase per dollar perspective. Especially since the Dinan warranty only is in place for the four year factory warranty and not CPO. The Dinan tune is one of the most conservative, so it's probably not going to be a culprit of a major engine failure.

The piggy backs do add the convenience of removing without a trace and some of the ECU flashes make claims to flash to stock. I'm honestly not sure how traceable that is.

Given your logistical challenges of finding an installer. I'd take a look at BM3. I'm no expert but a lot of people are very happy with it. I recently looked into it again through the website and I believe it's pretty much download the software, buy a license ($700) and flash your car with either a PC or a phone. The Map 1 numbers are impressive and the map with the need for 93 octane is even more impressive. It also appears you can use the phone app for changing maps on the fly including back to stock with an adapter.

Just a thought. A year ago I dismissed BM3 out of hand out of ignorance.
I am very new, like I said. So I'm definitely no expert. I would just be interested in adding some juice, but using one that is reliable about not pushing anything too far. I'm not going go seek out drag times or race the car or anything. So it would be: priority one to maintain long term durability and reliability, priority two to add some power for the fun (and admittedly the ego boost).

I'll check out the BM3. Thanks!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:04 AM   #61
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
I am very new, like I said. So I'm definitely no expert. I would just be interested in adding some juice, but using one that is reliable about not pushing anything too far. I'm not going go seek out drag times or race the car or anything. So it would be: priority one to maintain long term durability and reliability, priority two to add some power for the fun (and admittedly the ego boost).

I'll check out the BM3. Thanks!
I totally get that. Same here, hell, I have never even launched or gone above 120 mph. I think the Dinan X piggy back would be right for you, but unless you feel comfortable installing then you can buy it, bring it to a decent German shop with the install PDF and let them put it in. It like an hour job, the X has half the points to plug into.

But BM3 would be a 100% DIY without getting dirty. I know you will do your homework.
NGT25568.50
      03-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #62
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I am on the fence currently and leaning towards BM3. Shop I go to (Eurotech in Natick, MA) highly recommends the tune.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337244.50
      03-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #63
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I installed BM3 last week. It's my 2nd time going with BM3 (had it on the M2C before.) Couldn't recommend it enough. Had a bad experience with Carbahn.

Such a simple install and the support was top notch. Reach out to mike@x-ph.com.
Appreciate 2
Joe-BMW337244.50
NGT25568.50
      03-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #64
PPMKING
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

IMO,

NGT 2 if you're looking for reliability first, a little power boost second and not chasing 1/4 mile times, tracking, then I would stick with piggyback - Dinan, Jb4, Racechip etc. - I believe Dinan is the conservative of the three based on their #s. These give you the little power boost without getting anywhere near the engine power limit.

Not saying BM3 is unreliable or going to blow your engine, but it is more on the aggressive side. Remember more hp/tq, means more stress on engine components, which increases the wear and tear on parts and/or failure rate.

Just my 2c
Appreciate 1
NGT25568.50
      03-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #65
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
I am on the fence currently and leaning towards BM3. Shop I go to (Eurotech in Natick, MA) highly recommends the tune.
We will definitely have to get together and drive each others cars to see what we feel, although I have a hunch I am going to be jealous if you do the 93 octane map.
      03-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #66
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMKING View Post
IMO,

NGT 2 if you're looking for reliability first, a little power boost second and not chasing 1/4 mile times, tracking, then I would stick with piggyback - Dinan, Jb4, Racechip etc. - I believe Dinan is the conservative of the three based on their #s. These give you the little power boost without getting anywhere near the engine power limit.

Not saying BM3 is unreliable or going to blow your engine, but it is more on the aggressive side. Remember more hp/tq, means more stress on engine components, which increases the wear and tear on parts and/or failure rate.

Just my 2c
All very true, even the "conservative" Map 1 BM3 I think adds ~100HP vs. ~60+HP for Dinan. It is a risk we take I guess with any tune. What is "too much" varies from engine to engine. I think if I could do it again, I would have gone with Map 1 BM3. I did my tune the first month of ownership and I was overly obsessed with Dinan after many years of being an enthusiasts who never tunes. Dinan just seemed to be approval stamped by BMW since many dealers install it. I have learned a lot about tunes since.