BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Front end bad surface rattle solved

11-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Front end bad surface rattle solved

So I was having a front end rattle clunky noise, after some investigation it turned out to be the water catching tray plastic trim at the rear of the engine bay that runs right across below the wind screen.

Its supposed to be fairly solid and click together on either side to join the drain chutes but my off side was loose where it joins the chute and the cover over the top mount was also rattling.

I added some felt tape to it and also over the joins to keep it together and the cover that you can remove over each shock top mount and voila no more strange rattle loose noises on right roads.

I wonder could this be what a lot of people think is suspension issues as in the cabin it sounds like it's coming from the wheel arch area low down or even the under body in the foot well area. Sounds like something is loose in the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:47 AM   #2
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
So I was having a front end rattle clunky noise, after some investigation it turned out to be the water catching tray plastic trim at the rear of the engine bay that runs right across below the wind screen.

Its supposed to be fairly solid and click together on either side to join the drain chutes but my off side was loose where it joins the chute and the cover over the top mount was also rattling.

I added some felt tape to it and also over the joins to keep it together and the cover that you can remove over each shock top mount and voila no more strange rattle loose noises on right roads.

I wonder could this be what a lot of people think is suspension issues as in the cabin it sounds like it's coming from the wheel arch area low down or even the under body in the foot well area. Sounds like something is loose in the suspension.
Thanks for sharing this. I seem to have same problem as I keep hearing rattling noise which I think is coming from driver side suspension when going over bad roads.
As usual service guys can't hear it and I had been scratching my head for some time as to how to find problem. Might give it a try today to see if its same problem as yours. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Grab the water guide and shake it, mine was loose on the passenger side where it joins the water drain chute.

No damage just loose no idea why, the clips were fine it just wasn't a great fit.

Also tap the two removable top mount covers they make a racket so I added plenty of felt.
Appreciate 1
Xbhp13.00
      01-10-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
JimDaviss
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Grab the water guide and shake it, mine was loose on the passenger side where it joins the water drain chute.

No damage just loose no idea why, the clips were fine it just wasn't a great fit.

Also tap the two removable top mount covers they make a racket so I added plenty of felt.
Can you share picture of location been having this problem
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Agreed. Pics would help.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Will try grab some once the weather improves.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #7
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Photo below grabbed from website.

Take the detachable covers off each side ( they have a small rotating lock marked clearly )and add anti rattle felt to the cover and where it meets any other surfaces. Tapping it will reveal rattles. Keep adding felt until it doesn't rattle when tapped with your hand once reinstalled.

Reach in when it's off and check where the water drain chutes that go down behind the wheel arch attach to the windscreen water guide that runs right across below the wind screen and you will probably note that one is loose compared to other side.

Add more felt or tape to hold it tighter.

Solved my weird front arch rattles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
Wiving
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

I need help locating where its at this shit is annoying
Appreciate 0